The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, dafcburty said:

Jamie McQuilken played for Sunday amatuer side Weir Recreation from Queens Park, Glasgow, on Sunday against Nithside Colts from the Dumfries Sunday Amatuer League. It was the Sunday amateur Scottish cup and he played centre back. I didnt realise it was him till he beat me in the air for a header... 

Unfortunately we lost 5-0. 

2 hours ago, louisxiv said:

I'm afraid I was never in favour of those paintings being put on that wall. Never the right place for them imho as it was a nap they'd get vandalised and I always actually rather liked the wall as it was. I'd hope it would be preserved in any future redevelopment. The paintings, if people were determined to have them, might have been better placed somewhere inside the ground. I said as much at the time and if my opinion goes against the flow so be it. Reckon they should come down now.

Just to highlight, the murals outside Palmerston are nothing directly to do with the club, though the club were happy to encourage them and allow them to be put up. I may be wrong but I think the location was requested from the People's Project who paid for them. The point being to make them visible to passers by, something they wouldn't really be if erected anywhere else in the ground. They are supposed to be (relatively) vandal proofed I think though nothing will stop the determined vandal ultimately. I haven't seen what damage there is to them, is it bad?

The internal walls of the Arena have a number of paintings of former great players (and a couple of current ones!) by the same artist (Jo McSkimming). I think the People's Project paid for them too. She also does the paintings for the Memorial Wall inside the ground which are paid for by the families.

I'm not really sure where else the murals could actually go other than the external walls of the Arena I suppose but they'd be far less seen there.

I haven't seen what damage there is to them, is it bad?

In a word, yes. So much so when I saw it the other day I was actually swearing with rage in my car [emoji38] There is a massive chunk ripped off the bottom of one near the lamp post. I imagine it may be removed as it's that much of an eyesore.

And on a lesser note it's the one I feature in :(

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just to highlight, the murals outside Palmerston are nothing directly to do with the club, though the club were happy to encourage them and allow them to be put up. I may be wrong but I think the location was requested from the People's Project who paid for them. The point being to make them visible to passers by, something they wouldn't really be if erected anywhere else in the ground. They are supposed to be (relatively) vandal proofed I think though nothing will stop the determined vandal ultimately. I haven't seen what damage there is to them, is it bad?

The internal walls of the Arena have a number of paintings of former great players (and a couple of current ones!) by the same artist (Jo McSkimming). I think the People's Project paid for them too. She also does the paintings for the Memorial Wall inside the ground which are paid for by the families.

I'm not really sure where else the murals could actually go other than the external walls of the Arena I suppose but they'd be far less seen there.

Then I guess the question is whether or not having vandalised paintings visible to passers by is worthwhile. Personally would prefer the brick work but I appreciate others feel differently. 

54 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

In a word, yes. So much so when I saw it the other day I was actually swearing with rage in my car emoji38.png There is a massive chunk ripped off the bottom of one near the lamp post. I imagine it may be removed as it's that much of an eyesore.

And on a lesser note it's the one I feature in :(

Has there been anything in the Standard? Really disappointed because even though I walk by them nearly twice a day I always take my time to have a look at them. 

Has there been anything in the Standard? Really disappointed because even though I walk by them nearly twice a day I always take my time to have a look at them. 

No idea tbh. I don't buy the paper. It's an awful state sadly.

23 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Nothing in the Standard today that I noticed (certainly nothing with photos). I was just round the corner from them last night when doing 'Beat the Street'. If I'd remembered this I'd have gone to look. I'm at the Arena for football tonight. I tend to avoid driving along Terregles Street since they put those dreadful new speed bumps in but I may make a point tonight to see what the damage is.

Be very surprised if the club couldn't get a hold of a pressure washer. Less grass to cut now so I'm sure the groundsman could, you know, find the time to carry out some cleaning around the ground.

If the groundsman doesn't have enough time on his hands why doesn't the club ask the fans to help out ? They've done it in the past with much success

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Nothing in the Standard today that I noticed (certainly nothing with photos). I was just round the corner from them last night when doing 'Beat the Street'. If I'd remembered this I'd have gone to look. I'm at the Arena for football tonight. I tend to avoid driving along Terregles Street since they put those dreadful new speed bumps in but I may make a point tonight to see what the damage is.

Sure there is an item in one of today's papers with a pic of groundsman Kevin standing beside the damaged mural.  Sure it was in the Standard. 

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

If the groundsman doesn't have enough time on his hands why doesn't the club ask the fans to help out ? They've done it in the past with much success

I would reckon that the group of fans,  or some of them at least,  who organised and carried out this voluntary maintenance are among those bearing a grudge against the Chairman/Club following the rangers vote so have decided not to offer help in this way.  If that is the case,  and I'm only going on anecdotal evidence,  there is nothing to stop others taking up the baton (or paint brush,  etc)  I believe that 1 fan,  (Colin?)  does,  or used to do,  some tidying up with strimmer,  etc,  in his spare time.  

I would reckon that the group of fans,  or some of them at least,  who organised and carried out this voluntary maintenance are among those bearing a grudge against the Chairman/Club following the rangers vote so have decided not to offer help in this way.  If that is the case,  and I'm only going on anecdotal evidence,  there is nothing to stop others taking up the baton (or paint brush,  etc)  I believe that 1 fan,  (Colin?)  does,  or used to do,  some tidying up with strimmer,  etc,  in his spare time.  

Doesn't cost anything or take much effort to ask .

Come to think of it when was the last time Chairman Hewitson said anything to the supporters ?

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Definitely nothing in today's Standard. Just checked again. Could it have been Friday's?

Just bought it to have a look. Page 10 at the bottom, it has the groundsman and the picture of the damage. It also says they believe two young people were caught. 

Edited by QoS_1919