The Queen of the South thread

However, as a Queens fan based in Sydney I want to add my voice to the people that would love it if the club offered live streaming of games. Like A-Mac (as we're in the same time zone) I too often track the score for the first half before heading to bed, and would much prefer to pay to watch games live. And like BIGdavieT I have previously paid other clubs money to do this.

I've no idea how much work is involved in streaming a match. I may be being completely ignorant but surely it's not much more than is currently involved with the highlights? A website that accepts payment and has a platform to play live vidoes, and a reliable Wi-Fi connection? I'm personally not bothered about commentary.

Wait a minute, another Sydney based QoS fan?

40320cbf4d6b54a7d081fe7f7520317e.jpg

Just add some weight to this discussion. I wouldn't watch live streamed games solely due to the time difference. When your up at 6 then going to bed at 2 is not an option. Highlights yes but these are already freely available.

I would watch delayed footage and pay for it. I think others would as well. Can this issue be raised in the next club meeting and see what comes of it.

Sorry if I missed it but why wouldn't you just watch live? Work commitments?

Just to be clear (as it's no big secret;)

If you are based in the UK you can watch these streams by using a vpn. It's very straight forward and this is already being done by many U.K. Based fans of other clubs. I often wonder if it is affecting the away attendance when club's like Falkirk come to Palmerston but there is no evidence it affects home attendance.

I presume if we were showing the live game it would also be easy to make that recording available 12hrs later for a reduced price.

Interestingly I noticed that the St Mirren live games are done by volunteer students from the local university. Could Queens approach a uni or college for this?

Otherwise we would need at least 3 committed volunteers to come forward and wifi to be installed in the east stand.

Just add some weight to this discussion. I wouldn't watch live streamed games solely due to the time difference. When your up at 6 then going to bed at 2 is not an option. Highlights yes but these are already freely available.

Would you occasionally stay up and pay approx £8 to watch a really big game in the cup or say a league playoff/decider decider?

8 hours ago, the_snow_badger said:

Hi all, I read this page all the time but don't often comment.

However, as a Queens fan based in Sydney I want to add my voice to the people that would love it if the club offered live streaming of games. Like A-Mac (as we're in the same time zone) I too often track the score for the first half before heading to bed, and would much prefer to pay to watch games live. And like BIGdavieT I have previously paid other clubs money to do this.

I've no idea how much work is involved in streaming a match. I may be being completely ignorant but surely it's not much more than is currently involved with the highlights? A website that accepts payment and has a platform to play live vidoes, and a reliable Wi-Fi connection? I'm personally not bothered about commentary.

Agreed, online survey is likely best as it's more likely to reach the target audience and is less labour intensive. I would also use the club's social media platforms.

A link on the website and social media to a Survey Monkey survey would be ideal. It's quick, easy to set up and something I could do if the club would promote it on their website/social media.

I dont think you could sell a live stream service without commentary, certainly not at the same price other clubs, who do have it, charge.

In terms of whats needed, even without commentary we'd need a laptop with software on it to process the video feed and possibly a new camera. With commentary, you can add mics and some kind of sound mixer to plug into the laptop.

On top of that, as you say, some kind of platform to deliver the video and take payment - which dont come free by the way.

11 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Interestingly I noticed that the St Mirren live games are done by volunteer students from the local university. Could Queens approach a uni or college for this?

Otherwise we would need at least 3 committed volunteers to come forward and wifi to be installed in the east stand.

No one teaches any relevant subjects in Dumfries. They do teach journalism and we've used three or four of their students to do the live updates in the past - luckily the current one is based locally and got a job locally when he graduated.

And theres the crux of your problem. Finding three people to give up watching the match to broadcast games isnt easy. Wifi in the east stand is a non-starter at the moment. Everything comes into the main stand so would need wired round the pitch. Given that the internet connection at Palmerston is poor anyway its not actually relevant though! Other clubs have used 4G in the past, so thats what we would need to look into but without testing Ive no idea if it would be reliable enough or not.

As I've said before, none of it is impossible but live streaming isnt going to happen anytime soon. I will, though, look into providing the full game as a delayed broadcast

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

The Australian Doonhamers Supporters Club is growing by the minute... Ideas!

Would you occasionally stay up and pay approx £8 to watch a really big game in the cup or say a league playoff/decider decider?

Occasionally, probably. I did go to enormous lengths to watch the B&Q Cup finals v Ross County and Partick.

Bet you wish you hadn't bothered with the Ross County one, that was an embarrassing debacle from the off!

Yes, I remember that the online stream wasn't great and it kept buffering. Added to an already frustrating evening.

As regards to earlier posts, I would just like to confirm that there will most definitely be an official Queens Centenary Book. This will be a complete re-write of my previous book from 2004 and 2008. It will also include a FULL statistical record of competitive fixtures, with dates, opponents, scores, scorers, attendances, teams and substitutes. There will be a limited hard back edition, with the publication date around December 2018. Further details will be available later.

Sorry if I missed it but why wouldn't you just watch live? Work commitments?

Just to be clear (as it's no big secret;)

If you are based in the UK you can watch these streams by using a vpn. It's very straight forward and this is already being done by many U.K. Based fans of other clubs. I often wonder if it is affecting the away attendance when club's like Falkirk come to Palmerston but there is no evidence it affects home attendance.

I presume if we were showing the live game it would also be easy to make that recording available 12hrs later for a reduced price.

For myself I work a lot of weekends so a live stream doesn't always suit me. I would also wait till the evening to watch the game as the kids will be in bed and I can watch it in peace. That's just me and my preference and that would suit me and I know not everyone the same. It might not suit others who are driving, working, ill etc etc but could still get access to the game if they wished at a more convenient time.