The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, JessieField said:

It's Queens 100th anniversary in a couple of years. I'd like to see an accurate Book published with all the games, scores and other stats verified covering the history accurately. Any plans for such a tome?

Theres definitely a book in the pipeline. Ian McCartney is writing it

Just now, Mr X said:

Theres definitely a book in the pipeline. Ian McCartney is writing it

But will it be accurate? According to his book "Queen of the South - The History - 1919-2008" Queens top scorer is Jim Patterson with 250 goals in 459 appearance (1949-63). According to Skyline Drifter's often quoted list on here - 1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963. I want a definitive, accurate record book for the 100th anniversary.

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

But will it be accurate? According to his book "Queen of the South - The History - 1919-2008" Queens top scorer is Jim Patterson with 250 goals in 459 appearance (1949-63). According to Skyline Drifter's often quoted list on here - 1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963. I want a definitive, accurate record book for the 100th anniversary.

My currently quoted list is taken from the stats that were in the back of the last Hall of Fame Event programme, as adapted for updated stats on Lyle and Dobbie. I don't know what the source for those was but I'd be surprised if Andy Penn wasn't at the bottom of it somewhere.

I agree entirely on the statistical book thing and I've been working on collating all sorts of info for a couple of years now towards that. I'll be several more years away from completing it though. I've reached 1947 so far starting from the beginning. I'm intent on, so far as possible, sourcing full team lines, scorers and crowds as well as things like the progression of the Palmerston attendance record and the record transfer fees both in and out and accurate dates of managerial changes. Iain McCartney is working on a new book for the Centenary which I've assisted him on to a minor degree. I think he intends to include more statistics than in previous ones though it won't be the sort of statistical history publication I envisage.

And whilst we are on the subject, this seems an opportune time to update the full table again:

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
3 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
4 - Derek Lyle, 113 goals in 261 starts (79 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - Current
5 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
6 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
7 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
8 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
9 - Stephen Dobbie, 90 goals in 138 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
10 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
11 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
13 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

Derek Lyle's goal at Berwick moves him ever closer to Andy Thomson, though, given he has played far more games than "Super Andy", he'll need to score two more before I'll move him above Thomson in the table.

Stephen Dobbie's 5 goals in a week move him on to 90 goals and above both Ian Reid and Jimmy Robertson, who drops out of the top 10 as a result. Hopefully if he avoids major injury he'll make it through to become our 5th Centurion before the end of the season, maybe even before the end of the year. Catching Thomson (who will presumably drop below Lyle soon) seems unlikely this season though as he'd need a 33 goal season to achieve that. If Dobbie is to get higher up than 5th then we can but hope he decides to play another season with us beyond this one. If he did do, and continued playing and scoring regularly then 2nd on the list would seem likely.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

My currently quoted list is taken from the stats that were in the back of the last Hall of Fame Event programme, as adapted for updated stats on Lyle and Dobbie. I don't know what the source for those was but I'd be surprised if Andy Penn wasn't at the bottom of it somewhere.

I agree entirely on the statistical book thing and I've been working on collating all sorts of info for a couple of years now towards that. I'll be several more years away from completing it though. I've reached 1947 so far starting from the beginning. I'm intent on, so far as possible, sourcing full team lines, scorers and crowds as well as things like the progression of the Palmerston attendance record and the record transfer fees both in and out and accurate dates of managerial changes. Iain McCartney is working on a new book for the Centenary which I've assisted him on to a minor degree. I think he intends to include more statistics than in previous ones though it won't be the sort of statistical history publication I envisage.

An onerous task SD. I've the one by McCartney and also the earlier paperbacks by Bill Jardine.

Would certainly be interested in yours.

Just now, WILLIEA said:

An onerous task SD. I've the one by McCartney and also the earlier paperbacks by Bill Jardine.

Would certainly be interested in yours.

To be honest if I was ONLY collating stats it would probably have been done by now. It's not that difficult to source most of the info and collate it. I'm doing it alongside a much bigger project to transcribe all the historic Board Minutes into an electronic format to make them easier to access, store and minimise the chance of them being lost to history somewhere down the line. That however is VERY time consuming and my current workload and family commitments makes it difficult to move that forward much each week.

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

I dont know what kind of subscriber numbers other clubs but I think you're over ambitious with your figures.

Yesterday (and I realise its only one day) there were around 150 visitors to the site from outside the UK. I would be amazed if you could get even 50 of them to sign up regularly, you're almost certainly not going to get anything like 100.

You also have to take off UK based fans who might have come to the game but then decide not to.

Anyway, its never really been about making money. Its a good idea, its something that should happen its just not really a priority for a number of reasons.

ETA - fans in England come under the same restrictions as Scotland. The live stream ban covers the whole of the UK

I understand, and agree to an extent, on you stance on Man City. However, a lot of the quotes in that article didnt come from City and, at the end of the day, if theres a good idea out there that we can use to benefit Queens, I dont really care where it comes from.

This is what i was trying to reference yesterday was can the club offer a delayed stream. So in essence record a match and then fans can watch for a cut price the full game but say 12hrs later and available for a week. It would be useful for fans like myself expats and locals who may not be able to attend a game but still want to watch. It might get the boycott supporters back on board as well. I agree with BIGdavie that there is a market out there for this and should be looked into. 

8 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

This is what i was trying to reference yesterday was can the club offer a delayed stream. So in essence record a match and then fans can watch for a cut price the full game but say 12hrs later and available for a week. It would be useful for fans like myself expats and locals who may not be able to attend a game but still want to watch. It might get the boycott supporters back on board as well. I agree with BIGdavie that there is a market out there for this and should be looked into. 

You can make the whole match available for broadcast from something like 10pm on matchday I think (bizarrely you are allowed to make the unedited game available a couple of hours earlier than the edited highlights which are embargoed until midnight - I've never really understood why that is the case).

I would have thought there's be even less market for delayed footage though, no? I'm not at all convinced there is a market out there and I don't know how much technical equipment we don't currently have that we'd need and I presume it would need two or three volunteers to actually do it every matchday. Mr X will know far more than me though and there are certainly enough other clubs at this level we could talk to about what's involved if it was worthy of serious consideration. I think Raith do tv coverage don't they? I don't think anyone else near our size does though.Everyone else doing so are much bigger clubs with much bigger markets.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can make the whole match available for broadcast from something like 10pm on matchday I think (bizarrely you are allowed to make the unedited game available a couple of hours earlier than the edited highlights which are embargoed until midnight - I've never really understood why that is the case).

I would have thought there's be even less market for delayed footage though, no? I'm not at all convinced there is a market out there and I don't know how much technical equipment we don't currently have that we'd need and I presume it would need two or three volunteers to actually do it every matchday. Mr X will know far more than me though and there are certainly enough other clubs at this level we could talk to about what's involved if it was worthy of serious consideration. I think Raith do tv coverage don't they? I don't think anyone else near our size does though.Everyone else doing so are much bigger clubs with much bigger markets.

I would watch delayed footage and pay for it. I think others would as well. Can this issue be raised in the next club meeting and see what comes of it.

7 hours ago, QosLoyal said:

Livingston game cant come quick enough. Hopefully wee Joe does'nt score against us. 3 points would be very welcome but i will take a point. 2-2.

There's a match thread started for this game. Who's "wee Joe" anyway?

8 hours ago, weeredbook said:

Noticed yesterday at Berwick that they had several bins placed around for rubbish.Queens need to address the seagull shit problem ,so theres a start.It really needs something done or the club will itself "be in the shit " .

I'm sure there are some rubbish bins at the front of the terracing at the Portland end, maybe not enough though. I think a part of the problem is that people, not just kids either, deliberately throw away scraps to attract the gulls for a "laugh". I agree that something needs to be done regarding the gulls but they have been an unwanted feature at Palmerston for decades now. I think cleaning off the moss on the main stand roof would be a start as it would get rid of the nesting material. Unfortunately the moss is maybe the only thing holding the old roof together. Some form of netting over the structure on the new stand would also help. Unfortunately any solution comes down to cost and if it is viable to spend money on something that may only be a problem for about 2 months a year ( perhaps the equivalent of 5 or 6 home games).

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That is the kind of book I'd want and would certainly pay a fair whack for a copy! I look forward to the publication! Thanks Skyline and good luck with the endeavour.

26 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I would watch delayed footage and pay for it. I think others would as well. Can this issue be raised in the next club meeting and see what comes of it.

Delayed footage is less of an issue, as the films are already being recorded. Its possibly something that could be done without too much work.

Theres a lot more involved in live streaming and unless someone comes forward whos willing to take it on its not going to happen anytime soon. There really needs to be evidence of the demand before theres much point in raising it. 

44 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Raith certainly did, pretty sure they still do. At this level, only Falkirk, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline and St Mirren broadcast games (possibly ICT not sure) As you say, all have a bigger fanbase than us, other than Falkirk of course. 

Delayed footage is less of an issue, as the films are already being recorded. Its possibly something that could be done without too much work.
Theres a lot more involved in live streaming and unless someone comes forward whos willing to take it on its not going to happen anytime soon. There really needs to be evidence of the demand before theres much point in raising it. 

How would evidence be gathered though? Opinion poll on the OS or take the views at a public Q&A meeting. Take a survey at the next home game as people buy their programs.

23 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

How would evidence be gathered though? Opinion poll on the OS or take the views at a public Q&A meeting. Take a survey at the next home game as people buy their programs.

The OS possibly. Its pretty unlikely to be Dumfries based fans or people actually attending games who would be interested in it though so surveying peple at the game or at local meetings isnt going to be much use.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The OS possibly. Its pretty unlikely to be Dumfries based fans or people actually attending games who would be interested in it though so surveying peple at the game or at local meetings isnt going to be much use.

Yes and no. As I said in a previous post it might target people who live local but boycott games and may target people who are working weekends or may not be able to afford to go to every home game. But I get what your saying in terms of data gathering. Still it wouldn't hurt to get a wide range of opinions from a wide range of people

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

21 hours ago, A-Mac said:

Games over here start at midnight, I am always up checking the score tracker for at least the first half.

Any home game stream or audio coverage I would definitely tune into.

15 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

You can watch a lot of Queens' matches live these days. Dundee United, Falkirk, St Mirren and Dunfermline all broadcast live to outside the U.K. They broadcast all their home games and many also broadcast live from Palmerston when they play there.

Myself and at least a few other queens fans are regularly paying these clubs £6-10 a pop for the privilege to watch a one off game.

Hi all, I read this page all the time but don't often comment.

However, as a Queens fan based in Sydney I want to add my voice to the people that would love it if the club offered live streaming of games. Like A-Mac (as we're in the same time zone) I too often track the score for the first half before heading to bed, and would much prefer to pay to watch games live. And like BIGdavieT I have previously paid other clubs money to do this.

I've no idea how much work is involved in streaming a match. I may be being completely ignorant but surely it's not much more than is currently involved with the highlights? A website that accepts payment and has a platform to play live vidoes, and a reliable Wi-Fi connection? I'm personally not bothered about commentary.

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Agreed, online survey is likely best as it's more likely to reach the target audience and is less labour intensive. I would also use the club's social media platforms.

A link on the website and social media to a Survey Monkey survey would be ideal. It's quick, easy to set up and something I could do if the club would promote it on their website/social media.

Edited by the_snow_badger

17 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

A-mac; interesting you say you have experience in this field. Perhaps we could tap some of your knowledge on this?

I'd be happy to help out anyway I could. As much as I could from over here.