The Queen of the South thread

39 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I assume you're talking about the fans they were talking about prepared to pay extra for things like the glass tunnel? If so, I agree, it's not something that transfers to a club at this level. However, the point about the importance of the fans experience I think is hugely relevant. It's not about over the top expensive gimmicks, likes the glass tunnel, but more about making sure fans who come to games want to come back, particularly kids. It's not a new idea but I thought it was interesting alongside the article from the guy at Motherwell.

We've already had a few people post things that would make a difference to them and I think there's a few things we could do in hospitality and the Saturday club that would improve them too.

Yes, I get your more general point.  I knew you weren't advocating the installation of such a tunnel at Palmerston.

I don't however feel that we've much to learn from Man City, a club run on a ridiculous and distasteful model.

By all means, let's get our ground smarter.  Let's look at streaming of games if the market for it really exists.

I genuinely do want us to avoid gimmickry though, as we chase the pound of the dipshit.  The club is ours and I don't want it prostituted.

2 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Quite interesting if you crunch some numbers...

Let's say 200 queens fans abroad showed an interest and 100 actually committed:

50 sign up to a season package at £5 per game...... £9000
50 more casual fans sign up to 9 games in the season at 8 per game......£3600
Other fans sign up to their games. (30ict, 20 Morton, 20 Livi, 10 Brechin, 10 Dumbarton.).......£2880

That's a total of £15480 already before you include U.K. Based supporters.

50 central belt queens fans that can't be arsed to drive down watching 9 games a season..... £3600
50 Dumfries based queens fans that can't be arsed with away games; 9 games a season .......£3600

Queens fans in England?..........

I dont know what kind of subscriber numbers other clubs but I think you're over ambitious with your figures.

Yesterday (and I realise its only one day) there were around 150 visitors to the site from outside the UK. I would be amazed if you could get even 50 of them to sign up regularly, you're almost certainly not going to get anything like 100.

You also have to take off UK based fans who might have come to the game but then decide not to.

Anyway, its never really been about making money. Its a good idea, its something that should happen its just not really a priority for a number of reasons.

ETA - fans in England come under the same restrictions as Scotland. The live stream ban covers the whole of the UK

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I get your more general point.  I knew you weren't advocating the installation of such a tunnel at Palmerston.

I don't however feel that we've much to learn from Man City, a club run on a ridiculous and distasteful model.

By all means, let's get our ground smarter.  Let's look at streaming of games if the market for it really exists.

I genuinely do want us to avoid gimmickry though, as we chase the pound of the dipshit.  The club is ours and I don't want it prostituted.

I understand, and agree to an extent, on you stance on Man City. However, a lot of the quotes in that article didnt come from City and, at the end of the day, if theres a good idea out there that we can use to benefit Queens, I dont really care where it comes from.

Edited by Mr X

f2d570b4ae3285aa41c91b8c8fe48d9a.jpg

A few years ago Scotland were playing in Norway and a small local team changed their usual kick off day/time to coincide with the visiting fans arrival.
They got a couple of hundred extra fans for little effort.

That's where my thinking came from regarding Heston etc, football fans like a bit of novelty value and away fans are a captive audience the longer they're at Palmerston the more money they'll spend.

f2d570b4ae3285aa41c91b8c8fe48d9a.jpg

A few years ago Scotland were playing in Norway and a small local team changed their usual kick off day/time to coincide with the visiting fans arrival.
They got a couple of hundred extra fans for little effort.

That's where my thinking came from regarding Heston etc, football fans like a bit of novelty value and away fans are a captive audience the longer they're at Palmerston the more money they'll spend.

Been mentioned before somewhere, but what about even youth football tournament in the morning and give out free tickets galore to kids. If there about Palmerston there unlikely to disappear

Re fans in England yes I know, I was meaning they could also watch illegally.

Actually I agree it isn't really about the money which would just be a bonus. The other reasons are more important.

Figures for how many people are accessing the website from outside the UK over a more general period would be very useful if you have easy access to those?

11 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Re fans in England yes I know, I was meaning they could also watch illegally.

Actually I agree it isn't really about the money which would just be a bonus. The other reasons are more important.

Figures for how many people are accessing the website from outside the UK over a more general period would be very useful if you have easy access to those?

Its not an easy thing to work out, unfortunately, not in terms of individual users anyway. Google analytics has lots of info on sessions and users but its really hard to work out how many of those are unique - it used to report unique users but doesnt anymore. 

The best estimation I can make is that, over the last month, there are a couple of hundred overseas users each day, so a little more than yesterday.

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I understand, and agree to an extent, on you stance on Man City. However, a lot of the quotes in that article didnt come from City and, at the end of the day, if theres a good idea out there that we can use to benefit Queens, I dont really care where it comes from.

Yes, but I'd like to see each of the people behind such quotes (with their references to "big eventers" and to football clubs as "brands") dragged from their beds, tortured, then shot.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

5 hours ago, weeredbook said:

Standing knee deep in seagull shit every fortnight isn't particularly appealing. The Portland Drive Terrace is horrendous.
Have heard a very disturbing story regarding this .The club along with the council need to address this a.s.a.p . .

43 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Noticed yesterday at Berwick that they had several bins placed around for rubbish.Queens need to address the seagull shit problem ,so theres a start.It really needs something done or the club will itself "be in the shit " .

Just tell us