The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, JessieField said:

Great interview.

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

It is. I remember reading it at the time and thinking how much of that could be applied to Queens.

I also read another interesting article a couple of weeks ago, mainly about Man City's new glass tunnel but it also talked about the importance of the "experience" . I'll stick a link up later if I can find it again.

Heres the article I was thinking of

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/sports/soccer/manchester-city-fans-tunnel-club.html?mcubz=0

42 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Whilst building a giant glass tunnel is incredibly unlikely, there is a few rather inexpensive stuff that Queens could do to make the ground a more pleasant place to be. Personally I think the interior of the new stand could be painted and better lit to make it look less dingy, adding some sort of weekly/monthly specials for food to possibly make the experience slightly different each time rather than the same standard fare, and just generally make the place look less like a 98 year old football stadium. Hopefully for the clubs centenary they can try and get some sort of volunteer recruitment drive going to make the most out of what we have.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Absolutely hideous.

I'd rather stick with small crowds than pander to the type of cretin attracted by such nonsense.

I did like the beer tent idea suggested earlier though.

Whilst building a giant glass tunnel is incredibly unlikely, there is a few rather inexpensive stuff that Queens could do to make the ground a more pleasant place to be.

Standing knee deep in seagull shit every fortnight isn't particularly appealing. The Portland Drive Terrace is horrendous.

8 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Does the league allow delayed stream of the game. So A-Mac could watch the game 12 hrs later after full time whistle as an example? 

Games over here start at midnight, I am always up checking the score tracker for at least the first half.

Any home game stream or audio coverage I would definitely tune into.

Games over here start at midnight, I am always up checking the score tracker for at least the first half.
Any home game stream or audio coverage I would definitely tune into.

You can watch a lot of Queens' matches live these days. Dundee United, Falkirk, St Mirren and Dunfermline all broadcast live to outside the U.K. They broadcast all their home games and many also broadcast live from Palmerston when they play there.

Myself and at least a few other queens fans are regularly paying these clubs £6-10 a pop for the privilege to watch a one off game.

Absolutely hideous.
I'd rather stick with small crowds than pander to the type of cretin attracted by such nonsense.

I did like the beer tent idea suggested earlier though.

I assume you're talking about the fans they were talking about prepared to pay extra for things like the glass tunnel? If so, I agree, it's not something that transfers to a club at this level. However, the point about the importance of the fans experience I think is hugely relevant. It's not about over the top expensive gimmicks, likes the glass tunnel, but more about making sure fans who come to games want to come back, particularly kids. It's not a new idea but I thought it was interesting alongside the article from the guy at Motherwell.

We've already had a few people post things that would make a difference to them and I think there's a few things we could do in hospitality and the Saturday club that would improve them too.

25 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

You can watch a lot of Queens' matches live these days. Dundee United, Falkirk, St Mirren and Dunfermline all broadcast live to outside the U.K. They broadcast all their home games and many also broadcast live from Palmerston when they play there.

Myself and at least a few other queens fans are regularly paying these clubs £6-10 a pop for the privilege to watch a one off game.

Have looked into this this season, will be jumping on as many games as I can :thumsup2

he could watch the stream live, if there was one.

This is something I believe the club should be seriously considering for next season.

Around six months ago there was an interesting chat on here regarding a live QOSTV feed. This could provide live games for around £8 a time to supporters living outside the U.K. Smaller Clubs that already do this include Hibs & DUFC (in Championship,) Falkirk, Raith Rovers, St Mirren and Dunfermline. There may well be others. Aside from the obvious benefit, other benefits potentially are:

- Making money from other club's fans who will pay to watch their team. For example, if ten expat Brechin fans pay to watch QOS v Brechin that's another extra £80 just for one game.

- expat fans generally are relatively VERY high earning supporters for Queens. Being able to watch the games live keeps these fans much more connected and therefore more likely to want to buy merchandise and generally keep their allegiance to the club active and enjoyable.

- Obviously it could not be promoted as it is technically illegal but there may also be considerable money to be made from fans watching in the U.K. All you need is a VPN and you can access these streams from your living room in Dumfries or Stirling. Is this one reason why away crowds at Palmerston have decreased? Fans in Dumfries who have no intention of traveling north AND fans in central belt who can't be arsed to drive down can pay their club £8, stick the VPN on and watch from their sofa with a beer. Instead of losing money from fans who can't be arsed we become a net beneficiary. You can literally have the steam running on your old Telly beside Jeff! Interestingly, the feedback from other clubs is that their streams have had no real affect on their home attendances. Away is possibly more debatable.

A-mac; interesting you say you have experience in this field. Perhaps we could tap some of your knowledge on this?

First of all, a list should be compiled to see if there is much interest from the core Queens expat support. When we last talked about this I volunteered to put the list together. To be honest, I've been so busy recently it's been far easier for me to just pay my £8 to the other clubs and watch their feeds with a beer or two from the comfort of my living room in Dubai.

However, from a personal perspective, being able to watch so many games live now has really rejuvenated my interest in Queens in general. I watched Queens v Falkirk last season from the beach in Puerto Rico. Last week I had my mates round for a BBQ and had Falkirk v Queens on the second screen beside the English game. Dobbie had everyone entertained.

Quite interesting if you crunch some numbers...

Let's say 200 queens fans abroad showed an interest and 100 actually committed:

50 sign up to a season package at £5 per game...... £9000
50 more casual fans sign up to 9 games in the season at 8 per game......£3600
Other fans sign up to their games. (30ict, 20 Morton, 20 Livi, 10 Brechin, 10 Dumbarton.).......£2880

That's a total of £15480 already before you include U.K. Based supporters.

50 central belt queens fans that can't be arsed to drive down watching 9 games a season..... £3600
50 Dumfries based queens fans that can't be arsed with away games; 9 games a season .......£3600

Queens fans in England?..........

2 hours ago, Senior_Coconut said:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30551135

^ article about St Mirrens fan zone. It definitely wasn't a beer tent. emoji6.png

Indeed.  Certainly not. ;)

It's a marquee with a bar - a different thing altogether.

I think this sounds like a great idea.  It could work very well.