The Queen of the South thread

One thing has really came to the fore the last few days wether people agree or disagree with opinions is that all of you have the club firmly in your heart and are trying to make things better, no doubt some of the club hierarchy will read this forum and maybe just maybe start to take some very good relevant points on board !!!

7 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

I think a lot of people feel the same way. The Board supporting Sevco in the vote without any discussion or thoughts about the views of supporters was an own goal of the highest magnitude. Its not something that fans get over in time either.   

It would have been bad enough if there had been "no discussion or thoughts about the views of supporters".  That's not the case though.  

Opinion was explicitly sought and welcomed on the subject prior to the vote, via the OS.  As expressed, it was almost unanimous and was accompanied by club assurances that the "right thing" would be done.

It was then utterly ignored and the explanation offered was spectacularly weak and very easy to pick apart.

Horrible stuff.  I still feel instinctively that it's had little long term effect on attendances, but I might be wrong on that.  Enough voices on here about people they know who've apparently stopped attending, would suggest I am.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 01/09/2017 at 15:30, Steeplechat said:

Knocking the replacement before they are even appointed
Fantastic stuff Callum

I'm not knocking any individual. Good luck to whoever takes on the role assuming it's still in the pipeline. Let's hope it's not another Board appointment though and a fan who is respected and independent.

My point is that I'm extremely doubtful that anything will effectively change at Queens as the current Board have no interest in real supporter engagegement having come out strongly against a fans' representative being involved in the clubs' decision making process. 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

We can but only aspire to one day reach the levels of footballing perfection found at AFC Wimbledon.

There is no football utopia at Wimbledon but the fans are at the centre of the club and the decision making. 

From the depths of park football to the Football League in 9 years and a further promotion/consolidation to League 1 and  a new 20K seater stadium back in Plough Lane due to open in 2019/20. I think they must be doing something right. ;) 

I'm not knocking any individual Bruce. Good luck to whoever takes on the role assuming it's still in the pipeline. Let's hope it's not another Board appointment though and a fan who is respected and independent.
My point is that I'm extremely doubtful that anything will effectively change at Queens as the current Board have no interest in real supporter engagegement having come out strongly against a fans' representative being involved in the clubs' decision making process. 

Supporter engagement doesn't require fan representation on the board.

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

Not this crap again about a supporter being on the board ..There was a vote at the shareholders meeting the majority of shareholders did not want to a fan in the board end of.

A vote has taken place and therefore the thing that was voted on can never ever again be discussed?

Quaint logic, that.

Not this crap again about a supporter being on the board ..There was a vote at the shareholders meeting the majority of shareholders did not want to a fan in the board end of.

A vote has taken place and therefore the thing that was voted on can never ever again be discussed?

Quaint logic, that.

Because those who already hold the power know best, obviously.

On 8/30/2017 at 22:43, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think it's especially similar, Dunfermline and it's immediately surrounding environs are much bigger than Dumfries:

List of Scottish Towns & Cities by Population

Appreciate it's Wiki but the source seems reasonable. By that Dunfermline itself has a population of about 150% of ours. Including immediately surrounding areas such as Inverkeithing and Rosyth takes them to about double us at over 70,000 (albeit for some reason our total doesn't appear to include Locharbriggs even in the "Settlements" list). We're much more similar to for instance, but still smaller than, Airdrie and Stirling, towns we are doing considerably better than.

Thanks for the clarification SD. Being over here I can only go by the numbers I see.

As for the discussion on how to get people back through the gates and engaged again. One thing I had seen implemented successfully over here in the Australian Ice Hockey League when I worked in the media for it was online streaming of games. I know this is a big deal for people like me living outside Scotland, but running weekly streams of home games really engaged people in the city of Melbourne and had people interested in attending games.

What we found with the AIHL is that an online stream it not only drove traffic to the club, but it really engaged people sitting on the fence about coming to games, which they ultimately did as crowd figures increased where sellouts occurred due to the word of mouth getting spread about the online coverage. The great coverage also got major TV companies interested as Fox Sports then run a weekly Game of the Week on their station. It was a successful initiative.

Just a thought, something the club may or may not have thought about already.

Thanks for the clarification SD. Being over here I can only go by the numbers I see.

As for the discussion on how to get people back through the gates and engaged again. One thing I had seen implemented successfully over here in the Australian Ice Hockey League when I worked in the media for it was online streaming of games. I know this is a big deal for people like me living outside Scotland, but running weekly streams of home games really engaged people in the city of Melbourne and had people interested in attending games.

What we found with the AIHL is that an online stream it not only drove traffic to the club, but it really engaged people sitting on the fence about coming to games, which they ultimately did as crowd figures increased where sellouts occurred due to the word of mouth getting spread about the online coverage. The great coverage also got major TV companies interested as Fox Sports then run a weekly Game of the Week on their station. It was a successful initiative.

Just a thought, something the club may or may not have thought about already.

Clubs are only allowed to provide live streams to fans outside of the UK.

No, though it might break down the 'them' and 'us' attitude that seems to exist at Queens. Communications from the club's custodians needs to improve. 

It might. Communication does need to improve, hopefully the SLO will be the first to step of that.

ETA - I can see things a supporter on this board might bring to clubs but I'm not convinced improving communication is necessarily one of them. In Queens case, I think there are other things to can be done that would be more effective.

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Because those who already hold the power know best, obviously.

Is it not very obvious that the directors at this club at present are also Queens fans. This is not  a club where there are mega bucks from being a director. Probably the exact opposite in fact. Supporters pay their money at the gate their financial responsibilities end there really. While it would be great that some responsible supporters form some form of representation that could discuss some issues with the directors 2 or 3 times a season. That would be the way forward and just might be acceptable to the board. I can not ever see a director who has invested monies being happy with or discussing financial or confidential information on the clubs affairs with some representative who has no such responsibilities. 

14 minutes ago, Jimbig said:

Is it not very obvious that the directors at this club at present are also Queens fans. This is not  a club where there are mega bucks from being a director. Probably the exact opposite in fact. Supporters pay their money at the gate their financial responsibilities end there really. While it would be great that some responsible supporters form some form of representation that could discuss some issues with the directors 2 or 3 times a season. That would be the way forward and just might be acceptable to the board. I can not ever see a director who has invested monies being happy with or discussing financial or confidential information on the clubs affairs with some representative who has no such responsibilities. 

So the relationship anyone can have with the club, can only ever be financial?

Have I got that right?

You're basically describing the supporters meetings that started last season. While the whole board weren't there, one of the directors was along with the SLO, community guy and some of the people who do other things for the club.

Maybe not a requirement, but certainly something that could enhance it.  It certainly wouldn't do it damage.

Really? I can think of a couple of scenarios that, if happened, could make things worse.

Did Raith not appoint a fan to the board that didn't go well?

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You're basically describing the supporters meetings that started last season. While the whole board weren't there, one of the directors was along with the SLO, community guy and some of the people who do other things for the club.

Really? I can think of a couple of scenarios that, if happened, could make things worse.

Did Raith not appoint a fan to the board that didn't go well?

What devastation did the Raith guy wreak?

What devastation did the Raith guy wreak?

I didn't say devastation. I don't remember the details but I'm sure their fans were complaining on here about never hearing from the rep and never being able to get in contact with them amongst other things.

At the end of the day, if the whole process falls short of fans expectations it risks damaging the relationship with the club. I'm not saying it's a reason never to do it just that it isn't risk free.