The Queen of the South thread

13 hours ago, The Caul Back said:

For fees sake stop talking about a feken strip, who is interested and start talking about the team and players, talking about a strip, sends me to sleep, I don't care what strip we have, as long as I see Sir Stephen Dobbie finding the net.

Still a lot to discuss on strips yet.  We haven't even started to discuss which strip manufacturer's goods are better to launder.  

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:24, Skyline Drifter said:

We never used yellow before the early 90's

I know you are not used to, nor will like, hearing this but........ WRONG.

Around the early 70's we had a yellow with black trim shirt and black shorts for a change shirt - a bit like traditional Wolves but a little duller.

We also used white with black trim and black shorts around that time.

Interesting that after all this time yellow and white still seem to be the most popular choices for change strips.

33 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Around the early 70's we had a yellow with black trim shirt and black shorts for a change shirt - a bit like traditional Wolves but a little duller.

We already established there was a season in the 70's earlier in the thread, after I made that post. It was before my time and I wasn't aware of it.

8 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

May I ask who the commercial team is at Palmerston these days SD ?
Can't help but notice how poorly attended the hospitality has been so far this season

Mainly Danny Armstrong now. Some input from others including the admin office.

Hospitality wasn't available for any of the cup ties in the Betfred Cup Group or the Irn Bru Cup, as it wasn't last year either. It was open for Brechin and Dumbarton but neither was a particularly attractive fixture for sales and the first few games are always quiet. I would hope it's busier for Morton.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Interesting that after all this time yellow and white still seem to be the most popular choices for change strips.

They certainly seem to be the least contentious. 

I did post earlier in the thread that I was sure I saw us play home games in the seventies in a yellow kit when the home team changed. Also seem to recall fans shouting for the 'canaries' when standing with my dad and brother at the Terregles Street End which back then was the traditional home end until segregation was installed for the 86/87 season

I hope so too but when we first played them last season we were top of the league after 8 games. The crowd was 1,695. Not sure how many Morton brought, but wouldn't have been less than about 150 - 200 I expect. So somewhere around 1,500 home fans to see us when we were top and hadn't lost a league game.

See I was expecting or rather hoping that our standard crowd is 1500. 1000 to 1200 if we not playing well and hitting 2000 if we are playing well. And that's our figures not even counting away attendance. Obviously I in dreamland reference the crowd figures but I do hope that with the team playing well more people will attend to watch some good football

53 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

standing with my dad and brother at the Terregles Street End which back then was the traditional home end until segregation was installed for the 86/87 season

I didn't know that Terregles Street was ever regarded as the home end.  It seems odd that the roof was on the other terracing.

My own memories of pre-segregation involved most people changing ends at half time.  I do remember a few games though where segregation consisted of a vertical line of policemen at the covered end dividing the rival fans.  It got quite threatening at times if you were on that terracing at all.

(Apologies to those who think discussion should be confined only to the here and now.)

I didn't know that Terregles Street was ever regarded as the home end.  It seems odd that the roof was on the other terracing.
My own memories of pre-segregation involved most people changing ends at half time.  I do remember a few games though where segregation consisted of a vertical line of policemen at the covered end dividing the rival fans.  It got quite threatening at times if you were on that terracing at all.
(Apologies to those who think discussion should be confined only to the here and now.)

Just concentrate on the team!

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This. We pretty much always changed ends. If it was pissing down often went to the coo-shed instead of Terregles street as said coo shed had a roof of sorts.

Anyone who's done hospitality at some of our rivals (for example, Falkirk,) will know that our offering is poor in comparison.

Again it's not a criticism of the anyone at the club. I believe they do a good job for the facilities at their disposal.

Obviously I'm not expecting hospitality suites the length of the pitch! But I think if the offering was better thanks to better facilities you may well get more uptake from the business community. You would also get more hires from general public.

Won't be happening any time soon but a new main stand similar in size and height to the current one would be great. I would keep the elevation also so that you're looking down on the pitch a bit like Hamilton.

Re crowds I don't expect anything dramatic but if we can sustain the challenge surely we could get to the 2000 mark?! Are we still missing fans since the Rangers vote? [emoji22]

Are we still missing fans since the Rangers vote? [emoji22]

I know of a couple of people who haven't attended Palmerston since, and now only attend away games.

I couldn't personally but can understand their reasoning behind it. A truly shameful and disgusting day in the clubs history.

22 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

1,500 home fans

22 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

This season, about 1300.

I am always amazed at the strong home support Dunfermline get and often wonder why that is the case? Considering both have similar populations.

Yes our home support is extremely disappointing considering the catchment area. We were getting great crowds on the back of the cup final appearance - consistently 2500+ but we have lost 1000 home fans since these days.

Sincerely hope that we can build on our good start but it would take a 5/6 game winning run to nudge many of the disinterested hordes towards Palmerston and even that might not be enough.