The Queen of the South thread

Uh huh. Not sure what your point is. We agreed that yesterday.

Not really trying to make a point. Just emphasising the fact to every Queens fan on this thread that the club have had a lot of yellow in their away kit since the early 90's. Therefore it's understandable for people (certainly those fans under the age of 40) to consider yellow as our away colour.
I'll try asking you again since you didn't reply to my query yesterday - who at the club chooses the design/colour of the strips? Thanks in advance.

Will Queens sign anyone before the transfer deadline ?

I think we will go with what we have just now.

You can still do emergency loans after Thursday ? think if we can then that is what we will do.

We could do to get rid of Lee Robinson but we would have to pay him off so that will probably not happen.

Just now, Northfield 53 said:

Will Queens sign anyone before the transfer deadline ?

I think we will go with what we have just now.

You can still do emergency loans after Thursday ? think if we can then that is what we will do.

We could do to get rid of Lee Robinson but we would have to pay him off so that will probably not happen.

The transfer deadline, as always, is pretty irrelevant for us. Free signings and loans can still sign after the deadline

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The transfer deadline, as always, is pretty irrelevant for us. Free signings and loans can still sign after the deadline

Quite agree about the deadline.  I think we've signed all the players on contracts that we will so any additions will probably be loans.  Fergusson returning from injury gives us another body for up front as well.  We could maybe do with a bit of cover for left back in case Marshall gets injured. It's probably been asked countless times but how many loan players can we have on the books at any one time and what's the maximum we can list/play in a game? 

16 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Quite agree about the deadline.  I think we've signed all the players on contracts that we will so any additions will probably be loans.  Fergusson returning from injury gives us another body for up front as well.  We could maybe do with a bit of cover for left back in case Marshall gets injured. It's probably been asked countless times but how many loan players can we have on the books at any one time and what's the maximum we can list/play in a game? 

It's complicated but...............

There are three types of loan: Standard Loans, Emergency Loans and Development Loans. Emergency Loans cease to exist from next summer but are in their last season. International Loans count as short terms contracts and aren't counted officially as loans.

You can have 5 Standard or Emergency Loans in one season but only 4 at a time, and only one of those at a time (2 over the season) can be over 23.

You can also have 4 Development Loans at a time. Development Loans are only for u23 players and can only be done with clubs you don't share a Development League with.

You could in theory therefore have 8 loan players at any one time and up to 3 from the same team as long as that team doesn't share a division with you.

There are no limits to the number who can play in a game. If you have 8 you could play all 8.

I've quite enjoyed the last few pages of tedious chat about away strip colours.  Long may it continue as it must mean things on the park are going well!  Just to throw in my tuppence worth, my thoughts on away kit are that it should serve two primary purposes.  1. offer an alternative kit for as many opponents as possible when there is a clash with our blue kit, and 2. be a nice enough kit that the fans want to buy it.  This year's doesn't seem to tick either of those boxes very well.

I don't buy the argument we should have a "traditional" away colour though, due to point 1 above.  Some seasons yellow might be suitable, others it might not be.  Likewise with white, black and just about any colour you can think of.

As there are only so many variations you can make to the design of our home kit, I think it is a good idea to have a wide range of away kit colours and styles just for a bit of variety.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Not really trying to make a point. Just emphasising the fact to every Queens fan on this thread that the club have had a lot of yellow in their away kit since the early 90's. Therefore it's understandable for people (certainly those fans under the age of 40) to consider yellow as our away colour.
I'll try asking you again since you didn't reply to my query yesterday - who at the club chooses the design/colour of the strips? Thanks in advance.

The commercial team in conjunction with the Board of Directors pick the kits. Final decision inevitably is with the Board.

We used yellow slightly more often than I thought looking at it. From 1990 to 2008 (18 seasons) we had a yellow or yellow / blue striped away kit for 13 of those seasons. Albeit that's only about 7 different kits as the Galloway Frozen Foods one was used for 4 years and the two different yellow & blue striped ones were used for 3 years and 2 years respectively. I think the only yellow one we've had since then was the tyre track one from three years ago though.

The commercial team in conjunction with the Board of Directors pick the kits. Final decision inevitably is with the Board.
We used yellow slightly more often than I thought looking at it. From 1990 to 2008 (18 seasons) we had a yellow or yellow / blue striped away kit for 13 of those seasons. Albeit that's only about 7 different kits as the Galloway Frozen Foods one was used for 4 years and the two different yellow & blue striped ones were used for 3 years and 2 years respectively. I think the only yellow one we've had since then was the tyre track one from three years ago though.

Thanks for your reply SD.

Yip when you look at the historical kits there certainly are a good few kits containing yellow. So, is that as close to an apology I'll get to your rather pompous answer to my observation that there has been a lot of yellow in our recent away kits?! [emoji6]

I think time will tell in relation to the commercial success of this year's change strip. I do feel that if slightly more thought was put into choosing the colours of the away strip in relation to what teams we will be playing then there would be no need for a 3rd strip.

Why not open up the choosing of the change strip/colours to the fans again? I feel it was a good PR exercise by the club last time round and helped to strengthen the bond between club and fans.

53 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Yip when you look at the historical kits there certainly are a good few kits containing yellow. So, is that as close to an apology I'll get to your rather pompous answer to my observation that there has been a lot of yellow in our recent away kits?! emoji6.png

I think time will tell in relation to the commercial success of this year's change strip. I do feel that if slightly more thought was put into choosing the colours of the away strip in relation to what teams we will be playing then there would be no need for a 3rd strip.

Why not open up the choosing of the change strip/colours to the fans again? I feel it was a good PR exercise by the club last time round and helped to strengthen the bond between club and fans.

I think you're over emphasising the effect of the last strip vote. Far more people complained about the choice afterwards than bothered to vote

Having said that, its been a fair few years since then so I dont see any reason not to give it a go again.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Am I the only one who has started to really like our away strip? emoji38.png

No, I quite like it. It looks much better in the flesh than any of the pictures and I've no problem wearing it to away games. Might be a bit odd seeing the players wear it though!

Edited by Mr X

52 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Yip when you look at the historical kits there certainly are a good few kits containing yellow. So, is that as close to an apology I'll get to your rather pompous answer to my observation that there has been a lot of yellow in our recent away kits?! emoji6.png

What on earth are you on about? There is no apology because everything I said was correct. Notwithstanding using yellow a couple of seasons more than I thought the fact remains white is our traditional change colour.

What on earth are you on about? There is no apology because everything I said was correct. Notwithstanding using yellow a couple of seasons more than I thought the fact remains white is our traditional change colour.

I am in total agreement with you that White/blue is our traditional change colour.

What I was referring to was that yellow/blue had become more of a traditional change colour from the early 90's through to the naughties and that I would prefer it to be used if white/blue clashed with other teams.

Any way, have you got any idea how sales of this year's golf, i mean grey strip are selling compared to previous year's change strip?

2 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I am in total agreement with you that White/blue is our traditional change colour.

What I was referring to was that yellow/blue had become more of a traditional change colour from the early 90's through to the naughties and that I would prefer it to be used if white/blue clashed with other teams.

Ditto. I agree with this, although if truth be told I could live with anything other than red which for my money suggests an affinity with Rangers. People may argue it does no such thing but I believe that for many it does and they're uncomfortable with that. I know most of my personal Queens supporting friends are of this way of thinking.

Growing up in the 70's/80's white and black was the away colour of choice. Mind you, teams seemed to keep their kit for three or four years and I don't think the away kit was commercially available up until Matchwinner (Elopak)1989/90. 

To be honest, I can't see us shifting many away kits. In my opinion they are horrible. That said, if you were minded to buy a top you would go for the home one instead, so I don't think the club will miss out.

My favourite kits since the 80's were the joma ones when we won League one four or five years ago. White and black. Home and away that season were tremendous.

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Courtesy of Colin Johnstone:

QoS Official Archive

The real story here seems to concern the inexplicable decision for us to wear some non descript badgeless effort to play Celtic at Parkhead in the Cup in 1976/77.  

I wasn't there, but have vague recollections of the match taking place.  Can any gits older than me shed any light on what was going on there kitwise?

With wanting to go full Andrew Lloyd Webber on you all, There is literally an entire spectrum of colours other than blue to choose from and we go for grey on grey. It's one thing to be rubbish but another to also be dreary. Surely the best thing to do with a standard template effort is to go baws out mental on a stupid colour. At least then there's the possibility of a cult kit  that sells which is better than having SD's attic loaded with this seasons 'effort'.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The real story here seems to concern the inexplicable decision for us to wear some non descript badgeless effort to play Celtic at Parkhead in the Cup in 1976/77.  

I wasn't there, but have vague recollections of the match taking place.  Can any gits older than me shed any light on what was going on there kitwise?

As an old git I`m happy to confirm that I was at that game. We lost 5-1 but actually played quite well from what I recall.

The various reports at this link seem to support that. Gallant QOS

Here is a picture of us celebrating our equaliser which gives some detail of the strip worn.

QOS celebrate their goal at Parkhead March 1977

Edited by Distant Doonhamer