The Queen of the South thread

We have all become accustomed to the Championship league being so tough in recent years that a play off place is the best we can realistically hope for. I honestly think it is there to be won this year. DUFC are most people's favourites but they are a pale shadow of a proper Dundee United side of yesteryear and are not certain to dominate proceedings. They will compete for it but I would be surprised if they run away with it. St Mirren are a threat but are Dunfermline any better than us? Falkirk can still make play offs but I can't see them winning It. Inverness are contenders but they have lost a lot of players and their squad is Championship standard and not Premier standard.Morton have lost their loan quality from last year and it would surprise me if they became contenders not that it can be ruled out.

Livvy are solid and may do well but the squad isn't strong enough. The PT teams have a mountain to climb.

With the St J loan recruits we now have a pretty decent squad and with the new attacking outlook and the Dobbie factor with a bit of belief we should be capable of "giving it a go".

I fully appreciate the financial constraints but if ever there was a time to recruit a quality central midfielder now is the time. We have four central strikers who will be the envy of many competitors, two potentially decent wide players in Stirling and Danny and a decent defence and a good keeper.

We have battlers in midfield and I think one more quality addition would make such a difference.

It is of course early days but you can say the same for the likes of St Mirren and Dunfermline - their players are in unchartered territory as well in recent times.

One more quality signing would really signify our intent - this may of course be a false dawn but if we keep attacking with a positive outlook when you compare our squad quality it is extremely competitive with 8/9 of the other teams.

We will not have Dobbie indefinitely - can we mount a challenge that is the question?

One more signing really would show some intent of getting the play offs. Our squad looks good but a couple of injuries and were a bit short, if were to do anything a bit more depth wouldn't go a miss. Can see the difference the two additions from St. Johnstone have made, another one of that quality would definitely help our case. A midfielder with a bit of creativity would be nice, but it'd be really hard to drop anyone at the moment.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Should be a more traditional yellow away kit. This year's effort is a complete monstrosity no matter how much SD try's to defend it.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

The away kit should be yellow and blue.......it's not that difficult surely!

Because you say so? There's nothing particularly "traditional" about a yellow away kit. I'd need to check to be exact but our change kit has been yellow for about 10 -12 seasons out of 98 (and that's including the yellow / navy striped one). Quite clearly the traditional colour for our second kit is white.

Because you say so? There's nothing particularly "traditional" about a yellow away kit. I'd need to check to be exact but our change kit has been yellow for about 10 -12 seasons out of 98 (and that's including the yellow / navy striped one). Quite clearly the traditional colour for our second kit is white.

I agree white/blue/white is our traditional change strip.

The yellow/blue alternative is what I would class as our recent times traditional change strip. Maybe that's because I have fond memories of yellow/blue vertical striped top from our 2001-2002 promotion winning season.

I liked last year's red away kit and also the black one from a few seasons ago.

Surely the purpose of the change kit is so that it doesn't clash with any other team's kits?! By using a yellow one that would mitigate the need for a 3rd kit.

For what it's worth I think this year's Motherwell's Macron change strip is a thing of pure beauty. If Queens are wanting to go down the marketing route of away strips then surely that design is a winner with most fans as opposed to one that wouldn't look out of place on a golf course?

Out of a matter of interest who has the "job" of choosing the strips? As a traditionalist I also feel strongly that we should have white home shorts too. Last season's home kit was pure sublime [emoji170]

Edit to add - It'll be interesting to see how this season's away kit sales compare to that of previous years? Have you got any idea how they are performing to date?

Getting away from the "strips" discussions, what do folk think of Kane's contribution to the team so far?

I think his movement and workrate has been excellent. Yesterday he along with Dykes really pressurised their back 4 and when you do that it is noticeable how your defence is under a lot less pressure as a consequence. One of my biggest criticisms last season was our failure to get men forward and press high up pitch. If we do this consistently this season I expect us to do well.

Kane is probably not a finisher in the mould of Lyle but he poses a threat and if he can get a goal he might just get a few. He has probably missed about 4/5 great chances since he arrived but at least he is getting into great positions.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What was our away strip in the Le Coq Sportif days?  And what did we wear when we changed out of the terrible, terrible Alex Wilson kit?  

I can't remember at all, but feel that I should?

In fact, come to think of it, what was the Pizzeria away kit like?

I seem to have a five year blank.  Christ, this is happening too much these days.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Getting away from the "strips" discussions, what do folk think of Kane's contribution to the team so far?

Excellent, his all round game is superb. As RJC says needing a goal, but it'll come. Think he got a knock as he went through yesterday. Been a right good addition.

What was our away strip in the Le Coq Sportif days?  And what did we wear when we changed out of the terrible, terrible Alex Wilson kit?  
I can't remember at all, but feel that I should?

In fact, come to think of it, what was the Pizzeria away kit like?
I seem to have a five year blank.  Christ, this is happening too much these days.

I'm fairly sure the Alex Wilson abomination was white as well as that was again around my early years. I've now no idea about the Le Coq Sportif away top as I'd always thought it was white like the Fiat one.

I was looking at the Pizzeria home jersey earlier and can't for the life of me think what the away jersey was.

Pleasing to see Kane getting plaudits, worrying to hear his still missing simple chances, I've spent the last 18 months convinced once he gets one goal he'd go on a run, but it never comes.

More interested to hear how Kerrs getting on?

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm fairly sure the Alex Wilson abomination was white as well as that was again around my early years. I've now no idea about the Le Coq Sportif away top as I'd always thought it was white like the Fiat one.

I was looking at the Pizzeria home jersey earlier and can't for the life of me think what the away jersey was.

Yes, I think you're probably right about the Alex Wilson one.  I've blocked out lots from that season I think.

I can't for the life of me conjure the others though.  It's fast becoming another irritant.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pleasing to see Kane getting plaudits, worrying to hear his still missing simple chances, I've spent the last 18 months convinced once he gets one goal he'd go on a run, but it never comes.

Kerr was excellent yesterday.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He's a goal machine, 2 in 2! emoji23.png

I haven't seen him in the flesh yet, so I'll leave others to give a serious response.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Kerr was excellent yesterday.

This. I said after the Airdrie game that he looked a bit nervous and a bit raw. I was worried about him coming up against a more experienced striker but he strolled through the game yesterday and topped it off with another goal.

He's still third choice behind Brownlie and Fordyce, for me anyway, but hes the best third choice centre back we've had for some time

Yes, I think you're probably right about the Alex Wilson one.  I've blocked out lots from that season I think.
I can't for the life of me conjure the others though.  It's fast becoming another irritant.

It's actually starting to annoy me. Alex Wilson was indeed white:-

a2b13cbcbe799e446358a4a049c136ee.jpg

I obviously had the 95 and 96 year tops and not the same year as I always thought. No idea what our away top was in either of these years now. Those few years there were a few white away tops which is why I obviously see that as our natural aeay colour.

I can't place the Pizzeria one at all. I've convinced myself it was this but I wouldn't even bet a tenner I'm correct.

7e3664a0a30442849b49758fa883f8ec.jpg

Found this website which is quite good but not helpful in this case. Lets just all be greatful we don't use 1931's style anymore!

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Queen_of_the_South/Queen_of_the_South.htm

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's actually starting to annoy me. Alex Wilson was indeed white:-

a2b13cbcbe799e446358a4a049c136ee.jpg

I obviously had the 95 and 96 year tops and not the same year as I always thought. No idea what our away top was in either of these years now. Those few years there were a few white away tops which is why I obviously see that as our natural aeay colour.

I can't place the Pizzeria one at all. I've convinced myself it was this but I wouldn't even bet a tenner I'm correct.

7e3664a0a30442849b49758fa883f8ec.jpg

Found this website which is quite good but not helpful in this case. Lets just all be greatful we don't use 1931's style anymore!

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Queen_of_the_South/Queen_of_the_South.htm

Good work on the Alex Wilson front.

Is the stripy one not the Fila away strip from the promotion season? 

That is a cracking site, but as you say, not good on away strips.  I might have struggled a bit with the Rangers socks too.  I see they made a comeback in the 50s.  Do we need to revive them to get into the top tier again?