The Queen of the South thread

51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This. Very much this. He's a character and has fitted in straight away like he has been here for years. Nice family too.

Excellent on the ball and attacking set pieces. Has a good long throw on him too. I do worry about him when facing a pacy winger though. McMullan killed him for 20 minutes before losing the plot and getting sent off and the prospect of him facing Lewis Morgan gives me the fear.

Agree with what others think about Rooney.  He did give a silly penalty away V Stenny but you could see he was desperate to get forward and make amends.  Also not many full backs in this division will find it easy against McMullan at Dundee Utd.  Good to hear Rooney can take a long throw-in,  hopefully we will see some evidence of it as it can be a good tactic if used properly.  I don't think we vary our throw-ins enough.  Jamie Hamill used to take long throw-ins when he first arrived but that seemed to be abandoned and we seem to prefer throwing it to a player about 4 yards away who has little or no time to control it. 

49 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Maybe we should get Mercer back in to face Morgan ? 

I think Mercer is still probably getting therapy after the last time he faced Morgan.  Besides if he can't get a game at right back against the likes of Airdrie ahead of Fordyce and Rooney,  in a game we cantered,   it offers little evidence he can/will be trusted against better players.  I makes me wonder what kind of games the Manager who signed him thinks he will be able to play in. 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Assume he's not actually played for you guys yet? Weird one getting called up without any actual game time.

It never seems to bother the manager of the full Scotland team,  not just the current incumbent,   picking players not holding down regular 1st team positions.  

31 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Agree with what others think about Rooney.  He did give a silly penalty away V Stenny but you could see he was desperate to get forward and make amends.  Also not many full backs in this division will find it easy against McMullan at Dundee Utd.  Good to hear Rooney can take a long throw-in,  hopefully we will see some evidence of it as it can be a good tactic if used properly.  I don't think we vary our throw-ins enough.  Jamie Hamill used to take long throw-ins when he first arrived but that seemed to be abandoned and we seem to prefer throwing it to a player about 4 yards away who has little or no time to control it. 

I think Mercer is still probably getting therapy after the last time he faced Morgan.  Besides if he can't get a game at right back against the likes of Airdrie ahead of Fordyce and Rooney,  in a game we cantered,   it offers little evidence he can/will be trusted against better players.  I makes me wonder what kind of games the Manager who signed him thinks he will be able to play in. 

Our inability to take throw ins over the last few seasons has been hugely annoying. The number of times the throw arrives at the player waist or knee high leaving them unable to control it is unbelievable.

Slightly off topic, but Ive always wondered why wingers dont take throw ins in the final third. More often than not the ball goes back to the thrower, who is unmarked. If the thrower is your winger he then has the ball in the final third with room to cross or take on a defender.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It's ok I wasn't being serious. 

27 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

It's ok I wasn't being serious. 

I gathered that.  Unfortunately I was being serious in wondering where Mercer now fits in the Manager's plans.  If he can't even get a cameo appearance in a game like the Airdrie one. 

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Our inability to take throw ins over the last few seasons has been hugely annoying. The number of times the throw arrives at the player waist or knee high leaving them unable to control it is unbelievable.

Slightly off topic, but Ive always wondered why wingers dont take throw ins in the final third. More often than not the ball goes back to the thrower, who is unmarked. If the thrower is your winger he then has the ball in the final third with room to cross or take on a defender.

Totally agree re throw-ins. Isn't it the case that you can't be offside from a shy? Sure it used to be the case unless I'm suffering from false memory syndrome. Quick, long throws are a tactic we don't see enough of imho and like you Mr X I've been frustrated by the quality of ours in recent seasons.

Totally agree re throw-ins. Isn't it the case that you can't be offside from a shy? Sure it used to be the case unless I'm suffering from false memory syndrome. Quick, long throws are a tactic we don't see enough of imho and like you Mr X I've been frustrated by the quality of ours in recent seasons.

That is indeed correct.

We had an example of a quick throw in paying dividends at Falkirk last season and it was Dykes who,  in my opinion,  instigated it.  Instead of waiting for a defender to come up and take the throw as would normally happen,  and thus  giving the Falkirk defence time to get back and cover,  Dykes shouted to Carmichael to take a quick throw,  Dykes squared the ball to Dobbie who scored with a virtual tap-in. If you wait on a defender coming up to take every throw it gives defences time to get back.  The way we take free-kicks and corners is often varied so throw-ins should be the same. 

15 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We had an example of a quick throw in paying dividends at Falkirk last season and it was Dykes who,  in my opinion,  instigated it.  Instead of waiting for a defender to come up and take the throw as would normally happen,  and thus  giving the Falkirk defence time to get back and cover,  Dykes shouted to Carmichael to take a quick throw,  Dykes squared the ball to Dobbie who scored with a virtual tap-in. If you wait on a defender coming up to take every throw it gives defences time to get back.  The way we take free-kicks and corners is often varied so throw-ins should be the same. 

Dykes instigated it in so far as he made a great run from deep in his own half. From where I was all of the yelling at Danny to take it quickly was coming from Gary Naysmith.

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dykes instigated it in so far as he made a great run from deep in his own half. From where I was all of the yelling at Danny to take it quickly was coming from Gary Naysmith.

You are probably correct in that Gary was shouting for it to be taken quickly,  I didn't hear that from my seat in the North Stand,  but Dykes' telling Carmichael to take the throw-in quickly was audible enough for me to hear,  and he was pointing to where he wanted it delivered. I thought at the time that that is more of the attitude and quick thinking we want to see from Dykes.  Given that Dykes doesn't often get praised I am inclined to give him the credit for setting up this goal.  

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs
Re-wording

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You are probably correct in that Gary was shouting for it to be taken quickly,  I didn't hear that from my seat in the North Stand,  but Dykes' telling Carmichael to take the throw-in quickly was audible enough for me to hear,  and he was pointing to where he wanted it delivered. I thought at the time that that is more of the attitude and quick thinking we want to see from Dykes.  Given that Dykes doesn't often get praised I am inclined to give him the credit for setting up this goal.  

No matter who was shouting instruction Dykes still deserves credit so would tend to agree.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes, agreed. I didn't mean to try to take credit away from Dykes. He did great on that one. I was just noting that the manager, who was standing next to Danny as the throw was next to our dugout, did quickly recognise what was happening and yell to Danny to throw it quickly.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, agreed. I didn't mean to try to take credit away from Dykes. He did great on that one. I was just noting that the manager, who was standing next to Danny as the throw was next to our dugout, did quickly recognise what was happening and yell to Danny to throw it quickly.

I thought Danny was slightly further up the park than the dugout,  maybe midway between dugout and Falkirk 18 yard  line is more how I recall it.  I'm not inclined to labour the issue of who was where though as the main point stands  that varying throw-ins and throwers can often reap dividends and we tend not to do it enough. 

47 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I'd rather they practised shooting than taking throw-ins!

Which raises another point.  In the pre-match shoot-in the strikers,  and sometimes midfielders too,  take shots from about  the 18 yard line in line with  the centre of goal.  Surely it would be a good idea to practice shots from different angles. Also the number of times the target is missed in this practice session is amazing.  If you can't hit the target when you are under no pressure it doesn't bode well for doing it during the actual match.