The Queen of the South thread

Just now, NorthSouth said:

He'll do fine if he can get passed a man and get a cross in the box and not terracing emoji848.png

He was exactly like that during the first part of his season with us. Everything was either madly overhit, or painfully underhit.

I like Stirling. It hasn't come off for him yet but his cameo against Brechin showed he's capable. He doesn't hide even when it's not happening for him. I'm sure it'll come good for him at some point.

Stirling is another one of our wide players/midfielders who I wish would take the risk and have a shot at goals when in a good position instead of feeding Dobbie and Lyle who are not always in better scoring positions. Carmichael has been in good positions against Dundee Utd and Airdrie in the past two games but has opted to pass or hesitated too long and the opportunity is lost. Murray also doesn't seem to have the confidence to have a go when close to goal. We need goals from other positions, we shouldn't rely on our front pair to do it all.

Just a thought. As Queens can sign unlimited International loans in a season, I wonder if it's worth the club building ties with English clubs in the North East of England and maybe the likes of Carlisle with a view to taking some of their players on loan?  Might be more possible to do due to Dumfries being easier to get to than th Central Belt.

I guess the issue might be that any decent player would be in demand elsewhere and may be out of our budget.  Some clubs also put huge demands on the club that loans their player. Chelsea (for example) require weekly presentations at their training ground involving video analysis and dertailed reports. 

He'll do fine if he can get passed a man and get a cross in the box and not terracing [emoji848]

Dont understand this negativity towards Stirling at all.When he came on against Brechin he played very well and his delivery was outstanding. He had a couple of indifferent displays in ill fated League Cup campaign - apply the same logic and you could put a line through more than half the squad.

Stirling has that rare commodity - ability. Let's sincerely hope that having made a great signing we don't ruin it by continually benching a potential match winner.

Dont understand this negativity towards Stirling at all.When he came on against Brechin he played very well and his delivery was outstanding. He had a couple of indifferent displays in ill fated League Cup campaign - apply the same logic and you could put a line through more than half the squad.

Stirling has that rare commodity - ability. Let's sincerely hope that having made a great signing we don't ruin it by continually benching a potential match winner.

Jury is out for me... no one hopes he turns into a great source of chances. Think I might've done a job against an already beaten poor Brechin side though.

Let's hope he gets a start tomorrow in a game he is right up for, turns in a man of the match performance and kicks on for the rest of the season [emoji170]

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I like Stirling. It hasn't come off for him yet but his cameo against Brechin showed he's capable. He doesn't hide even when it's not happening for him. I'm sure it'll come good for him at some point.

That's a very good point, even when he wasn't exactly murdering his opponents he was still looking for the ball and trying to make a difference. Confidence is massive for him.

21 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Stirling is another one of our wide players/midfielders who I wish would take the risk and have a shot at goals when in a good position instead of feeding Dobbie and Lyle who are not always in better scoring positions. 

As above, it's a confidence thing for him. He barely had a shot at goal in the first 4 months of the season but as he grew in confidence he was taking pings every time it opened up for him, which led to him reeking one into the top bin at Falkirk. He needs games though, persist with him and he'll come good.

40 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Just a thought. As Queens can sign unlimited International loans in a season, I wonder if it's worth the club building ties with English clubs in the North East of England and maybe the likes of Carlisle with a view to taking some of their players on loan?  Might be more possible to do due to Dumfries being easier to get to than th Central Belt.

I guess the issue might be that any decent player would be in demand elsewhere and may be out of our budget.  Some clubs also put huge demands on the club that loans their player. Chelsea (for example) require weekly presentations at their training ground involving video analysis and detailed reports. 

We already do this. Naysmith made the point in his interview after the double loan signing from St Johnstone that one of the attractions from Saints point of view was that we send them video analysis of the players every week.

Given that we train in Hamilton though we're not really geographically any more advantaged than any other central belt team in terms of taking English players on loan. They would probably need to live in the central belt anyway. The biggest issue would probably be a requirement to meet their accommodation and travel costs rather than the actual wages. I would presume if an English team was happy to send a player up here to get games they probably wouldn't want much more than a nominal contribution to wages. They'd also want them to play regularly obviously so you'd need a young player from an English club who was definitely better than what you already have but not good enough to be involved regularly for the English side at first team level. Clearly that's feasible (Ayr had a couple of boys from Blackpool a few years ago for instance) but it's not necessarily something easily achieved at a full time side. We do however have a manager with good contacts in England so you never know.

I think Stirling may get a start tomorrow. Gary should stick with the tried and tested defence, up front Lyle could drop out of the starting line-up, which is harsh if it does happen, but Kane came here to get games and I think he'll feature quite a lot.

Martin

Rooney Fordyce. Brownlie. Marshall

Carmichael. Rankin. Jacobs. Stirling

Kane              Dobbie

Maybe lacking a bit of height in midfield and up front, apart from Kane, which may give Dykes a chance instead of Carmichael or Stirling, but I think that would be a good line -up if we kept it on the deck.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Absolutely this.  We seem to be writing off some of our new signings ridiculously early this season.  Stirling has barely had a chance yet, but his fleeting appearances have looked good.

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Absolutely this.  We seem to be writing off some of our new signings ridiculously early this season.  Stirling has barely had a chance yet, but his fleeting appearances have looked good.

I can't see any over-critical posts regarding Stirling or any other if the summer signings. I would say most if not all fans hope/expect Stirling to come good and show the same form that prompted his signing. Everyone knows he has not yet shown that form and therefore hasn't featured as much as he maybe should. I have also mentioned that it would be good if Stirling, and other midfielders, took a bit of responsibility and tried for goal occasionally. Dumbarton fans say he was a slow starter last season but came good and also scored some goals. That is what I hope he can do for us too. I don't think that expecting that is being over-critical or writing the player off.

If we were to get someone in,What position do people think we need? 

I'm pretty happy with the team probably the midfield is the weakest of that though as defense looks good and has cover as does in attack,Although Dykes and Murray can both play outwide so we have cover in every position 

Have to say I've been pleasantly suprised by Naysmiths transfers this summer

Edited by Dumfries Boy(new acc)

If we were to get someone in,What position do people think we need? 
I'm pretty happy with the team probably the midfield is the weakest of that though as defense looks good and has cover as does in attack,Although Dykes and Murray can both play outwide so we have cover in every position 
Have to say I've been pleasantly suprised by Naysmiths transfers this summer

I'd like to see a more attacking centre mid. That's the area I see us as weakest in an attacking sense.