The Queen of the South thread

I mean we are paying him so it would be nice to get him to do something. He can either try and impress Naysmith and make a return to the first team or impress clubs in acquiring his services. Either way if he has a stormer then it's good to have a result from Tannadice and if he is utter pish then we can get back to making fun of his mate on here.

Just as well Naysmith's attempts persuading Robinson to leave were unsuccessful.

703251.gif?b64lines=IENPTUUgT04uIExFQVZF

Edited by Sloop John B

I find it genuinely incredible that young Leighfield is being questioned on here. As far as I can remember he had nothing to deal with barring a cross and the goal. The cross he dealt with (even though there was a foul) and the goal he had no chance with.

His first involvement was a tricky situation as the ball was outside the box but it looked as if Brownlie left him to deal with it. His header was safely given to Rooney. The only incident I remember was him missing the ball and letting it go for a corner but you could argue that it wasn't exactly a cushioned header back by Marshall. His kicking was mostly excellent and he was vocal throughout.

If Martin is out I'd want Robinson in next week but I think it's a bit harsh what's been said off Leighfield.

Don't think anyone is being harsh. He did look nervous and the corner incident he was at fault. Misjudged the pace of the header. He did have a couple of good takes too. Not critical but agree Robinson would be the clear choice for next week if Martin is out.

Don't think anyone is being harsh. He did look nervous and the corner incident he was at fault. Misjudged the pace of the header. He did have a couple of good takes too. Not critical but agree Robinson would be the clear choice for next week if Martin is out.

To describe him as "nervous" is fair enough. To describe him as "uncomfortable and not yet ready for this level" is extremely harsh based on what we witnessed.

I thought the young lad looked OK yes he miss judged the header from marshal however it was far to strong a header anyway and the fact marshal put his hand up straight away to apologise would confirm this

To describe him as "nervous" is fair enough. To describe him as "uncomfortable and not yet ready for this level" is extremely harsh based on what we witnessed.

I guess we'll see. I took that to mean he's not yet ready for the responsibility of being No 1 in the championship. No issues with him being sub keeper. I worry if he's thrown in against Dundee Utd it might go poorly.

No hiding place in goals - as some have said he didn't really do anything wrong - let's be honest though he literally had nothing to do.

I would say however, that he made me nervous - his movements and general positioning looked clumsy. It is probably harsh to say that but to throw him In away to DUFC where it is almost certain that he will be under pressure could do more harm than good for the boy himself.

Lee or Emergency Loan for me.

Being paid or not Robinson is as much a risk as young Leighfield, but for different reasons. Okay the game could make Leighfield if it goes well, if not...If Martin is not available then an emergency loan would be my preference. But hopefully Leighfield will not be treated like Jim Atkinson was where we always had someone else ahead of him...even Calum Antell

9 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

9 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I think it is clear that he is not in the plans but an unexpected, emergency situation has arisen.

The point I am making - and you don't seem to get - is that if you have an experienced 'keeper available that you are already paying for then he should be considered to fill that gap over a young inexperienced 'keeper.

Any decent Manager uses the best players available therefore Robinson should have been on the bench as no.2 to Martin till such time he moved on.

Plenty of time thereafter for Leighfield to develop.

I can't see why you would describe the injury to Martin as an unexpected, emergency situation. Players run the risk of picking up injuries. The Manager must be very naïve if he didn't consider the possibility that his 1st choice keeper could possibly get injured and that it would perhaps be a good idea to have an adequate back-up already in place. If he doesn't play his chosen 2nd choice keeper, Leighfield,  and back-tracks on his earlier stance and plays Robinson or brings in an emergency loan keeper, it shows, to me at least, that he and/or the Board have not properly prepared for or thought about situations that could easily happen during the season.   I would think it would be nigh on impossible to bring in a loan keeper anyway when we already have 2 other keepers named in the playing squad. Obviously we need a good keeper for an anticipated hard game up at Dundee United or risk a heavy defeat, young Leighfield may do well enough if selected,  but the buck stops with the Manager if he has not properly prepared for what should have been an anticipated situation. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

10 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

10 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I think it is clear that he is not in the plans but an unexpected, emergency situation has arisen.

The point I am making - and you don't seem to get - is that if you have an experienced 'keeper available that you are already paying for then he should be considered to fill that gap over a young inexperienced 'keeper.

Any decent Manager uses the best players available therefore Robinson should have been on the bench as no.2 to Martin till such time he moved on.

Plenty of time thereafter for Leighfield to develop.

I can't see why you would describe the injury to Martin as an unexpected, emergency situation. Players run the risk of picking up injuries. The Manager must be very naïve if he didn't consider the possibility that his 1st choice keeper could possibly get injured and that it would perhaps be a good idea to have an adequate back-up already in place. If he doesn't play his chosen 2nd choice keeper, Leighfield,  and back-tracks on his earlier stance and plays Robinson or brings in an emergency loan keeper, it shows, to me at least, that he and/or the Board have not properly prepared for or thought about situations that could easily happen during the season.   I would think it would be nigh on impossible to bring in a loan keeper anyway when we already have 2 other keepers named in the playing squad. Obviously we need a good keeper for an anticipated hard game up at Dundee United or risk a heavy defeat, young Leighfield may do well enough if selected,  but the buck stops with the Manager if he has not properly prepared for what should have been an anticipated situation. 

What are you on about?

I'd play Leighfield. What's there to lose. In all honesty it's a tough ask to go to Tannadice and pick up any points. Play the lad and see if he can handle it or what's the point in having him as a number 2? We need to find this out sooner rather than later. Remember what happened when David Marshall was thrown in at the deep end for Celtic against Barcelona? Hopefully the same could happen to Leighfield and he has a stormer. I believe he's highly rated by the management and I'm all for giving the youngsters a chance. I'd rather see kids being giving the chance instead of playing someone who's been told they have no future at the club or signing someone on loan. 

Is there any actual word how long Dobbie and Martin are out for? I noticed Martin straight away but it looked like he just went over on his knee. He didn't look in pain but signalled straight away he was done. Hopefully not too serious.

I think some are missing the point. Naysmith wants nothing to do with Robinson as far as I can tell so it's unlikely that he will play on Saturday. Leighfield is only a backup for situations like yesterday so it's unlikely he will play so we need a loan keeper in. Hope that clears things up.

15 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

I think some are missing the point. Naysmith wants nothing to do with Robinson as far as I can tell so it's unlikely that he will play on Saturday. Leighfield is only a backup for situations like yesterday so it's unlikely he will play so we need a loan keeper in. Hope that clears things up.

So the board are going to pay to sign a loan goalkeeper when they won't pay to sign any outfield players? That would make it 4 1st team keepers their paying wages for? Not too sure on that one!

5 minutes ago, Come on queens said:

So the board are going to pay to sign a loan goalkeeper when they won't pay to sign any outfield players? That would make it 4 1st team keepers their paying wages for? Not too sure on that one!

Even if Leighfield is good enough we still need a backup and I'm not sure Naysmith would want Robinson sitting on the bench. I could be completely wrong though, just the way I see things.

29 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Naysmith wants nothing to do with Robinson

That indeed is the point and where Naysmith has got it all wrong.

I went through all this earlier.

Would he really stick to his petty, dismissive attitude and ignore the fact we have an experienced 'keeper on the books, with a squad number and whom we are still paying and then add to the costs of the Club by paying for a loan goalie as you advocate ? Personally I think he would.

If so,  the Chairman should veto his request and tell him where to go !