The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, overthetop said:

Less than a thousand Queens fans watching a very ordinary performance. Apart from Dobbies beauty. What incentive is there to buy a season ticket. Total dross.

Wasn't at the game but my season ticket arrived!  I listened to the manager's interview after the Accies game and he is obviously looking to strengthen the squad by getting players on loan from SPL clubs. I am yet to be convinced by him but I do think his loans after he arrived helped to halt that appalling run we were on last season.

The first half of the game I was at (Stenny) was disappointing. Things improved second half but the players need time to gel.

I do think that the league cup as it is now, is almost like competitive friendlies. So.... I am cutting the manager and players some slack at the moment. I think the first quarter is going to be crucial to the manager's future though. The chairman doesn't seem to hang about when the peg gets shoogly.

19 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

How do we get shot of the chairman?

Errr... I heard that he was paying Dobbie's wages. Now he is a reason to be cheerful at the moment.

Apart from the age of our old stand how else is our ground a "state"? We have a great ground.

Was looking round the ground today and I was thinking to myself that the whole place was looking tired, run down and shabby. There appears to be no general maintenance being carried out. Another example of the chairman's penny pinching ways.

Generally the close season gives clubs a chance to give their ground a lick of paint and a wee spruce up for the season ahead. We on the other hand look to have done next to nothing.

The roof on the main stand is still cover in thick moss and there are still loose bench seats and a healthy covering of bird shit everywhere.

The Portland road corrugated metal roof is suffering badly with flaking paint and rust.

The Terrrgles street end looks a shambles with temporary/permanent herris fencing every where and a rear embankment overgrown with weeds.

The New Stand is also now showing its age badly with flaking/fading paint on the metal frame work, dirty/fading seats, again bird shit and remnants of birds nests every where. There was even a pigeon nesting above me today on an emergency light fitting under the stand roof!!!!

As has been mentioned before the murals are beginning to age badly with the weathering. The external turnstile doors paintwork is fading/peeling. Painted and plain breeze block walls around the ground are needing painted.

It wouldn't take too much time or money to put right most of these issues - a squad of people armed with paint and brushes, a power hose and some weeding equipment would go along way to making our fabulous wee ground presentable again.

I remember not too many seasons ago there was a great spirit at the club and a healthy number of volunteers gave up their valuable spare time to tidy up the ground pre season. That feel good factor has sadly deserted the place now and has instead been replaced by one of apathy.

I feel that the present regime, and by that I mean the chairman, is responsible for this. There has been a constant erosion of "Queens" people away from the club over the last few years and they in my mind have been replaced with people who are only out for what they can get for themselves.

With a half competent squad we should have easily qualified from that group today. We need to get off to a good start in the league at home next Saturday or it really is going to be one long, hard season especially if Dobbie gets injured.

For as long as I can remember I have bought my kids Junior Blues season tickets but not this year. The whole vibe about the club is so depressing right now and I feel that unless there is a dramatic change at the top then it won't only be the state of the ground that is on a spiral downwards.

QOSTID [emoji170]

I've been quietly watching over the chatter on here for a long while now but it's been getting increasingly harder with each result not to chime in with my own two cents, so here goes...

It's plain to see from our position in the group that our results at the start of this competitive season haven't been good enough, much like the later end of the previous season. It seems like we almost always outperform ourselves in games that we would be expected to lose, but it's the games against "lower" opposition or teams below us in the league that are the true must win games we carelessly throw away. Unfortunately this inconsistency has become a trait in our team as of late.

I have never been one to place all of the blame on the manager as everyone knows that players on the pitch can ultimately turn in poor performances that directly cost games being won or lost. Small mistakes can be the difference between three points or zero but I can only be so lenient. 

The tactics employed by the manager and most of the players brought in as replacements have simply not been good enough. As others have mentioned, clubs in our league have recruited far better than us and the past few results are reflecting this. We understand as fans of this club that we may not have the pull that other clubs have to attract players, factors being location, money, management or even larger fanbases could sway players. But this cannot be pinned as an excuse. We have been a competitive championship team during what have been arguably the strongest divisions we have faced in a long time and need to be doing all we can to bring in quality players to really reach a playoff spot again now that some of the "bigger" teams are back in the prem. This is a massive opportunity for the club but we are not jumping at this chance and are slipping away from teams that we should be directly challenging for the top places. Instead we are content with just replacing players rather than improving on them while our best get picked up by our rivals. We don't deserve this as fans.

This is not a negative post, rather an optimistic plea that we will bring in the right players and make the right decisions tactically. Dobbie needs support upfront and this needs to be addressed immediately. Players such as Dykes (who gets far too much abuse on here) has to be played correctly as an attacking midfielder rather than a striker so we might see something to cheer about rather than those who have been booing. We need creative attacking minded players and a solid defender for cover. I know the manager is holding on to see which players some top flight clubs are neglecting so that we can attempt to get a loan deal which I have no qualms with as they will no doubt boost the squad. But as the case is with loans, after this season the same problems arise as they return to their parent clubs and we are left with gaps in our squad needing patched up again.

I hope we all receive what we pay our money for and get some exciting signings made very soon that will improve on this early disappointment. I don't want this to become a relegation battle but if there are no changes soon it may well end up that way. But in the time being let's support the club we love regardless of the numerous views of the manager, turn up next Saturday and hope for a new look team with passion and hunger for that victory.

41 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Mercer had one of em games didn't he. One that will be talked about for years to come... for all the wrong reasons. Absolutely abysmal he was.

He did and he knew it.  I felt bad for him.

He was lucky not to get a second booking for the penalty incident, although he might have welcomed the chance to disappear down a tunnel.

The Chairman has to take the blame he gave him a long term deal .The crowds will dwindle watching that crap .A few I spoke to today say they wont be back .

Then they are not true fans. They may as well go and watch Celtic and Rangers like the rest of Dumfries. Like I said before if you want better players. Support the club.

Guest Flash

The trouble is, if true fans are those who will show up no matter what, there are only about 400 of them. Today, there were about 29,000 who chose not to go, despite some of them being allowed in for free. A club cannot survive on "true fans" alone. Never could. And these days the number of people who will go just because it is what they always do is dropping steadily.

The good thing is, despite falling crowds and a general depression about the place, we seem to be attracting lots of new posters on here.

He did and he knew it.  I felt bad for him.
He was lucky not to get a second booking for the penalty incident, although he might have welcomed the chance to disappear down a tunnel.

I was annoyed with him today as he was utterly dreadful but on reflection this evening I share your views and I actually feel sorry for the boy. He's quite clearly completely out of his depth. If he's continued to be played I think he'll make far more mistakes than positive strides and it can only have a detrimental effect. He really needs to be loaned out if the manager thinks there is potential there. Unfortunately I doubt we can afford to do this with our small squad and he's just going to have a horrible season.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I was annoyed with him today as he was utterly dreadful but on reflection this evening I share your views and I actually feel sorry for the boy. He's quite clearly completely out of his depth. If he's continued to be played I think he'll make far more mistakes than positive strides and it can only have a detrimental effect. He really needs to be loaned out if the manager thinks there is potential there. Unfortunately I doubt we can afford to do this with our small squad and he's just going to have a horrible season.

The real concern for me is that GN has signed a new RB but even after a small number of competitive games he thinks Mercer is the better bet. That`s either a mistake or Rooney is poorer than Mercer. You would think a former international full back could at least improve us in the full back positions.