The Queen of the South thread

Obviously the results haven't gone the way we would have wanted, but it's come down to very fine margins in the end.  The response in here you'd think we'd lost every game 5-0.  We've never been a team who's had the right to go out and beat anyone and perhaps some need to remember that.
I don't actually think we're too far away from having a team that will compete well in this division.  Martin is a very good goalkeeper and Brownlie and Fordyce already look like a better partnership than any of the combinations that were tried last season.  Fordyce has strolled through the two games that I have seen.  Kyle Jacobs remains outstanding in the "destroyer" role.  Then of course there's Lord Dobbs.  It's a pretty decent spine for this level.
Dobbie is crying out for a partner that will do his running for him, and obviously we need someone in the middle of the park who can put their foot on the ball and dictate the game.  Rankin has lost that ability and I don't think Tapping is the man for that either despite a promising start today.
We're a work in progress and I don't think any rash judgements should be made until the work is finished.

I must have been watching Queens Park .

Just now, Randy Giles said:

Fucking hell. You lot sure have panic merchants.

Indeed. That said we`ve won 1 game out of 4 in a group that couldn`t have been much more favourable if we`d hand picked it. 

We need some decent qulaity in. If we don`t get it we could easily struggle to stay up.

Pretty awful stuff thus far.

Guest Flash
41 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

We will see what the board are made of over the next couple of weeks.Its ok having money in the bank 

Do we have much money in the bank, though? 

Failing to beat East Kilbride and Albion Rovers at home, finishing 3rd in a group containing one of the weakest top seeds and a non-league side, with us being 2 points above them, is genuine cause for concern. There are signs that Lyle and Rankin are done and that perhaps only the keeper is better than the players we had last season, at the moment. Dobbie has scored 4 out of the 6 goals and created one of the others. Without him, it is not inconceivable that we would have finished bottom of the group.

The difference between Dobbie and his team mates is ridiculous.

As well as being our only spark, we also seem to need him to take wide free kicks and corners too, like happens with the best player in a school team.  

I know it's been said before, but I'll be glad when the window closes and he's still with us.  His reasons for being with us have an added dimension, but I do worry about someone making a bid.  We'd obviously be mad to accept any, but if he was unsettled, it could take that inevitable course we're all familiar with.  

What he's attempting to do with us just now, must be bloody soul destroying for him.

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We've never been a team who's had the right to go out and beat anyone and perhaps some need to remember that

Indeed, but look at what we have achieved in recent years -  we have stuffed Rangers twice, beaten Hibs at Easter Road and at Palmerston in the League Cup, beaten the holders of both the League and Scottish Cups and competed in the play-offs twice in succession, after a glorious double-winning season.

10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fucking hell. You lot sure have panic merchants

It's not just about these group games. It's about last season too.

The guy has no motivational skills and similar amount of coaching ability by the look of it.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I honestly wouldn't see a chance of change unless we're in real trouble in the table and even then, not until into the new year

What is significant about the New Year ? 

We need change now or nothing will change on the park and we will, indeed , be " in real trouble ".  He hasn't got the ability to turn it around.

Believe me, I want every QOS Manager to succeed but sometimes you have to recognise there is a problem, call a halt and make the change.

I and many others, I suspect , had a lot of time for Ian Scott but sadly it did not work out for him and he had to go.

That was around October time I think and he probably should have gone before then but he had a certain amount of 'goodwill' built up.

Naysmith has none whatsoever and should be replaced ASAP.

1 minute ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Indeed, but look at what we have achieved in recent years -  we have stuffed Rangers twice, beaten Hibs at Easter Road and at Palmerston in the League Cup, beaten the holders of both the League and Scottish Cups and competed in the play-offs twice in succession, after a glorious double-winning season.

It's not just about these group games. It's about last season too.

The guy has no motivational skills and similar amount of coaching ability by the look of it.

We need change now or nothing will change on the park and we will, indeed , be " in real trouble ".  He hasn't got the ability to turn it around.

Believe me, I want every QOS Manager to succeed but sometimes you have to recognise there is a problem, call a halt and make the change.

I and many others, I suspect , had a lot of time for Ian Scott but sadly it did not work out for him and he had to go.

That was around October time I think and he probably should have gone before then but he had a certain amount of 'goodwill' built up.

New year is significant only in that it's a chunk of the season gone and of course, the opening of a new window.

Believe me.  If our league campaign starts as badly, I'll be doing plenty moaning of my own.  However, given how much managerial change we've had of late, I can't see any more happening this early.  

Well said .

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

:lol:

You said you doubted Morton would win by five more than you. So you either thought you would win or you didn't even have a clue what you were saying.

If we'd won by one goal, Morton would have needed to win by six.  That looked unlikely, which is what he said.

As it was, we didn't win and had we done so, despite Morton's impressive scoreline today, it still would have fallen short of the margin SD had said was unlikely.

That's all.  No need to be a tool about it.

5 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

What he said is that he doubted Morton would win by five more than QOS. That's exactly what he said. If he meant something different then he should have said that instead.

Yes, I know what he said.

He was right.

35 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

:lol:

You said you doubted Morton would win by five more than you. So you either thought you would win or you didn't even have a clue what you were saying.

I set out a list of scenerios that needed to happen if we were to win and qualify and took it as read that if did win Morton wouldnt outscore us by five. Which they didnt. Really not sure how you are struggling with this. I never said we WOULD win, merely that if we did we could be reasonably sure Morton wouldnt win by five more. I was right. Nothing else worked though. Had we won comfortably we would still only have been 6th or 7th best 2nd place.