The Queen of the South thread

Why does Naysmith keep saying that penalty shoot-outs are a lottery? 
Thats a load of nonsense. Taking penalties is one of a number of things that football  players can practice with purpose on the training ground and repeat the routine often enough that it becomes ingrained and so the player  focuses on the process, not the outcome. Similarly, goalkeepers can practcie saving penalties and study the opposition's likely penalty takers. 
Listening to Naysmith talk post-match is like listening to a stuck-record. He's clearly a limited manager and his repetitive rhetoric is very old hat. I wonder what the likes of Dobbie (who has played under some decent football managers) makes of him and his management style. Not a lot, I would imagine. 

Dobbie will be manager before christmas

Guest Flash
14 minutes ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Dobbie will be manager before christmas

Wonder if he will play himself up front on his own? :unsure2:

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Christ, did he come out with the discredited 'lottery' rubbish?

Some poster did the same on here, which is bad enough.  For our manager to be coming out with that though is laughable and worrying.

He`s not alone. Fordyce says the same in his interview post-match at the weekend. 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Can't say I'm overly optimistic about our chances this season. Do not expect us to be challenging for a top-four finish and feel we should be safe enough although can see us getting dragged into the battle to stay up more than I can see us having a crack at promotion. Several reasons for this include quality and quantity of squad and the fact we have a 'meh' manager who wasn't my choice and has a lot of work to do to win people over.

To be fair, I was delighted when he signed up Alan Martin. Was best keeper in the Championship for me last season. But he blundered in allowing both Dowie and Higgins to go when either of those would have benefited us in terms of leadership for starters. I'm not sold on the lad Brownlie but hope Fordyce can be an asset if he stays fit.

Running a tight squad and keeping injury-prone Tapping is a gamble for which Naysmith will be held responsible if it goes pear-shaped. Feel we're lacking a creative force in central midfield. Stirling and Carmichael could be hit and miss on the wings. We're heavily reliant on Dobbie and need another decent turn out of Lyle I think.

I'm not all that fussed about the Betfred Cup but felt this was a group we could get out of. Shame that it probably looks like we won't. All about the league now. Massive first month ahead for Naysmith with the two part-time teams at home. He needs a good start to buy himself some time and breathing space.

Agree.

I do think that Stirling and Carmichael ( if he gets fit) could be big players for us but only if we get a midfield that can create the open play that gives them proper service to feet and in areas where they have the space to get defenders turning.

League Cup - if we had sat down and actually chosen a group of regional teams and a set of fixtures that could give us the best chance of qualifying I don't think we could have come up with an easier group.That said it is never easy to actually go ahead and deliver as we have found out. I just don't get the impression that we have a squad packed full of hungry "winners" but we shall see.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He`s not alone. Fordyce says the same in his interview post-match at the weekend. 

I'm quietly seething.  That is one of football's greatest idiocies.

Have you noticed that the winner of said lottery never describes it thus?

I'm quietly seething.  That is one of football's greatest idiocies.
Have you noticed that the winner of said lottery never describes it thus?

I have to agree. I cannot understand why penalty takers who are nervous don't blast the ball on target - taking a good positive run up with head over ball making sure that they hit target at all costs.

Dykes and Rankin looked nervous and delivered half hearted stabs at an easy height for keeper.To be fair the first two Hamilton penalties were equally poor.

No coincidence that our best penalty taker in recent times - John O Neil blasted them in and very rarely missed.

I have to agree. I cannot understand why penalty takers who are nervous don't blast the ball on target - taking a good positive run up with head over ball making sure that they hit target at all costs.

Dykes and Rankin looked nervous and delivered half hearted stabs at an easy height for keeper.To be fair the first two Hamilton penalties were equally poor.

No coincidence that our best penalty taker in recent times - John O Neil blasted them in and very rarely missed.

Indeed. Hit it down the middle even with no pace. 99% of the time the 'keeper is going to dive.

36 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I said exactly the same thing as Rankin was walking up to take his penalty

20 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Of course you can practice taking penalties at the training ground but you can't replicate the match situation when it comes down to how you handle the pressure. Going first has also been proven to be an advantage.

Fair point about replicating match situations on the training ground and handling the pressure.

A few years  back, the then AFC Wimbledon manager (Terry Brown), got his team ready for Conference playoff final by making players practice taking penalties at the end of home games with the crowd still in the ground. It seemed crazy at the time but the Conference Final went to ET & and Wimbledon beat Luton on pens.  

I doubt it really helped the players that much tbh but mentally the team felt they had an edge over Luton as they were better prepared. 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

I think our equaliser was worse from a Hamilton defence/Goalkeeper point of view, a long aimless ball by us into the penalty box totally misread by the defender and the goalkeeper. I may be in a minority but I actually think our defence looks a little better than last season but early days.

3 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Fair point about replicating match situations on the training ground and handling the pressure.

A few years  back, the then AFC Wimbledon manager (Terry Brown), got his team ready for Conference playoff final by making players practice taking penalties at the end of home games with the crowd still in the ground. It seemed crazy at the time but the Conference Final went to ET & and Wimbledon beat Luton on pens.  

I doubt it really helped the players that much tbh but mentally the team felt they had an edge over Luton as they were better prepared. 

The 'you can't recreate the pressure' argument is ludicrous.

By that token, golfers would never bother practising four foot putts.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The 'you can't recreate the pressure' argument is ludicrous.

By that token, golfers would never bother practising four foot putts.

How can you recreate the pressure then?