The Queen of the South thread

Feel like Naysmith just confirmed Joe Thomson isn't coming back and no centre midfielders will come in,Disappointing but with low budget it's what we have to expect

A midfield with jacobs and rankin for me wont be good enough. I really rate jacobs but i dont think rankin is the creative force we are needing in there. Maybe tapping but it all comes down to him remaining injury free.

2 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

A midfield with jacobs and rankin for me wont be good enough. I really rate jacobs but i dont think rankin is the creative force we are needing in there. Maybe tapping but it all comes down to him remaining injury free.

Think we all agree,Not seen anyone say that Rankin and Jacobs should play there together there's just no creativity

3 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

I know Rankin is the club captain however just seems that Tapping and Jacobs is the better combination. I look forward to seeing Naismith next signing and what area he choosing to strengthen

27 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

24 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Think we all agree,Not seen anyone say that Rankin and Jacobs should play there together there's just no creativity

I think Rankin and Jacobs would be ok together if we had another quality winger and some pace up front.

Rankin was exactly what we needed at the time  but his drop off in form in 6 months has been so quick, especially as there hasn't been any major injuries that we've been made aware of IIRC. There is a sense that he'll be packed off to the glue factory fairly soon and he looked so off the pace on Tuesday that you have to wonder whether he knows that his time is almost up. 

Yesterday we were competitive and all players gave their all but the lack of quality possession meant that the two wide players had no decent service. They spent most of their time shuttling back to help the full backs. How Dobbie keeps scoring goals and creating chances on the most meagre rations is exceptional.

Jacobs is a real battler but he and Rankine constantly give the ball away and invariably just play the percentages and launch it forward.

In the case of Rankine this is a guy who has played at a high level for his entire career - you would expect him to have a bit more composure and craft. This pairing simply doesn't work and if fit, it has to be Tapping and Jacobs or preferably a new recruit. If no funds then we have to hope that Akubine can come through.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Rankin was exactly what we needed at the time  but his drop off in form in 6 months has been so quick, especially as there hasn't been any major injuries that we've been made aware of IIRC. There is a sense that he'll be packed off to the glue factory fairly soon and he looked so off the pace on Tuesday that you have to wonder whether he knows that his time is almost up. 

This.

Should really only have been given a 6 month contract, but maybe he was offered more money elsewhere. Could turn out that we end up paying him 3 times the amount we should have done. I'd prefer we did that, dropped him and took the loss rather than keep him in the team chasing shadows.

But with Naysmith saying in the podcast that he's not looking for a central midfielder, it looks like if he doesn't play it'll be either Tapping or one of the youngsters. Probably more likely that he will stick with Rankin.

14 goals in 16 starts in League One in 15/16 and then did fairly poorly last year as Peterheid got relegated, now advertising his services on my LinkedIn newsfeed. Given our propensity for those poorly performing in League One...time to snap him up? Attacking mid / striker.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Can't say I'm overly optimistic about our chances this season. Do not expect us to be challenging for a top-four finish and feel we should be safe enough although can see us getting dragged into the battle to stay up more than I can see us having a crack at promotion. Several reasons for this include quality and quantity of squad and the fact we have a 'meh' manager who wasn't my choice and has a lot of work to do to win people over.

To be fair, I was delighted when he signed up Alan Martin. Was best keeper in the Championship for me last season. But he blundered in allowing both Dowie and Higgins to go when either of those would have benefited us in terms of leadership for starters. I'm not sold on the lad Brownlie but hope Fordyce can be an asset if he stays fit.

Running a tight squad and keeping injury-prone Tapping is a gamble for which Naysmith will be held responsible if it goes pear-shaped. Feel we're lacking a creative force in central midfield. Stirling and Carmichael could be hit and miss on the wings. We're heavily reliant on Dobbie and need another decent turn out of Lyle I think.

I'm not all that fussed about the Betfred Cup but felt this was a group we could get out of. Shame that it probably looks like we won't. All about the league now. Massive first month ahead for Naysmith with the two part-time teams at home. He needs a good start to buy himself some time and breathing space.

18 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

"Packed off to the glue factory"! 

Is that where horses go?

Why does Naysmith keep saying that penalty shoot-outs are a lottery? 

Thats a load of nonsense. Taking penalties is one of a number of things that football  players can practice with purpose on the training ground and repeat the routine often enough that it becomes ingrained and so the player  focuses on the process, not the outcome. Similarly, goalkeepers can practcie saving penalties and study the opposition's likely penalty takers. 

Listening to Naysmith talk post-match is like listening to a stuck-record. He's clearly a limited manager and his repetitive rhetoric is very old hat. I wonder what the likes of Dobbie (who has played under some decent football managers) makes of him and his management style. Not a lot, I would imagine. 

31 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Why does Naysmith keep saying that penalty shoot-outs are a lottery? 

Thats a load of nonsense. Taking penalties is one of a number of things that football  players can practice with purpose on the training ground and repeat the routine often enough that it becomes ingrained and so the player  focuses on the process, not the outcome. Similarly, goalkeepers can practcie saving penalties and study the opposition's likely penalty takers. 

Listening to Naysmith talk post-match is like listening to a stuck-record. He's clearly a limited manager and his repetitive rhetoric is very old hat. I wonder what the likes of Dobbie (who has played under some decent football managers) makes of him and his management style. Not a lot, I would imagine. 

Christ, did he come out with the discredited 'lottery' rubbish?

Some poster did the same on here, which is bad enough.  For our manager to be coming out with that though is laughable and worrying.

Of course you can practice taking penalties at the training ground but you can't replicate the match situation when it comes down to how you handle the pressure. Going first has also been proven to be an advantage.