The Queen of the South thread

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is a fair bit of retrospective appraisal going on here. Hutton did fine for us. He was probably over-rated by most of us but he won Player of the Year, did enough to be offered a two year extension at the time and turned it down for a better two year deal at St Mirren. Apparently it all went pear shaped after that but he DID do well with us.

I wouldnt take him back now though. We dont need a tidy possession central midfielder. We have those. He doesnt have the inventiveness to his game we could do with. He will probably do okay with Dumbarton though.

Hutton will do a good job with Dunbarton but not the type of player we need just now.

Now  is there anyway you could see Queens finishing 2nd and still get throygh if we beat Albion on Saturday.

Do you remember us ever losing a pen shoot out when 2 nil up amazing  can,t remember anyone losing a shoot out when 2 up

I thought Dykes played well today, showed good strength and some nice touches in holding the ball up. He was unlucky with a couple of efforts as well.

I thought the substitutions were a bit strange, I presumed Tapping had been brought on to offer Mercer a bit more protection as he'd started to struggle, only for Mercer to be hooked almost immediately as well. Odd.

37 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I thought Dykes played well today, showed good strength and some nice touches in holding the ball up. He was unlucky with a couple of efforts as well.

I thought the substitutions were a bit strange, I presumed Tapping had been brought on to offer Mercer a bit more protection as he'd started to struggle, only for Mercer to be hooked almost immediately as well. Odd.

I think thats exactly why Tapping was brought on, and he did. I thought Mercer going off was a surprise unless either 1 - Rooney was a nailed on penalty taker or 2 - he was being protected from reaggravating his hamstring. Since Rooney didnt take one of the first 8 pens I presume it was the latter. 

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think thats exactly why Tapping was brought on, and he did. I thought Mercer going off was a surprise unless either 1 - Rooney was a nailed on penalty taker or 2 - he was being protected from reaggravating his hamstring. Since Rooney didnt take one of the first 8 pens I presume it was the latter. 

So Skyline is it still possible for Queens to qualify with 8 points not looking good  Din,t really deserve it any team who can,t beat E.K. at home don,t deserve to go throgh

17 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

So Skyline is it still possible for Queens to qualify with 8 points not looking good  Din,t really deserve it any team who can,t beat E.K. at home don,t deserve to go throgh

Even if it was possible to qualify with 8 points there's no guarantee we will get 8 points.

25 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

I dont know about Skyline but Im not even going to bother to try and work it out until Wednesday!

15 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Even if it was possible to qualify with 8 points there's no guarantee we will get 8 points.

I agree rovers will be a tough game and for now all I can see is another hard luck draw. Someone said it earlier we are unbeaten in 90 mins so far in competitive football this season and yet the two draws sting like defeats. My attention is already turning to the coming league campaign.

49 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Never happier than when you are prophesising doom are you?

Clearly it's still possible. Clearly it's pretty unlikely and doesn't look good. I'd say our best chance of going through is to win the group with 8 points. That's more likely than 8 points being a best runner up. To win the group we probably need to beat Albion by a few goals and hope Albion beat Hamilton and then Accies don't beat Stenny heavily. Or Hamilton are held to a couple of draws and don't win both shoot outs. To say it's unlikely is probably an understatement! Even winning one of the shoot outs would have given us a much better chance.

17 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Hutton will do a good job with Dumbarton but not the type of player we need just now.

Now  is there anyway you could see Queens finishing 2nd and still get through if we beat Albion on Saturday.

Do you remember us ever losing a pen shoot out when 2 nil up amazing  can,t remember anyone losing a shoot out when 2 up

I guess it is relatively unusual for teams to lose shoot outs being 2 up but there will be examples out there.

Certainly Carlisle won a penalty shoot out having been 3-1 down after 3 pens each in Conference semi play-off.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer