The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I did say only cos we are short on numbers.

There`s no logic in saying we would take him because we are short on numbers.He would need a wage. If there would be money to use presumably we`d be better advised to use it on a player who would improve on what we have.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

There`s no logic in saying we would take him because we are short on numbers.He would need a wage. If there would be money to use presumably we`d be better advised to use it on a player who would improve on what we have.

Yes but I could of seen Hutton brought in because Naismith couldn't get anyone else. I realise there plenty of time left in the window but I think a lot of clubs have done deals and we seem to be lagging behind. For what reason who knows. We do need another midfielder because I not convinced tapping and Carmichael can stay fit and injury free. I wouldn't want Hutton back at the club if the club could help it.

If Hutton's in the right frame of mind he'll do a job for Sons. Split opinion amongst our support (as you probably gather) but he certainly wasn't the worst midfielder we had during his time here. As somebody said earlier he did get player of the year nominations/award so he must have done ok is some people's eyes.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Behave.

Another jobbing midfielder with no flair or positive intent is absolutely not what we need.

I don't think you fully appreciate our current standing in this division in football and financial terms.Employing jobbing footballers is about the standard we are at. Take Dobbie and probably goalkeeper Martin out of the equation and every other senior player on the books at present could be described as jobbing footballers.  IMO Kyle Hutton didn't do too badly when he got fit and had a run in the team, I wouldn't have been too upset if he had been kept on. but that's probably more a reflection of our other midfield options at the time. Having said that I wouldn't necessarily want him back now, unless he replaced Rankin.

14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I don't think you fully appreciate our current standing in this division in football and financial terms.Employing jobbing footballers is about the standard we are at. Take Dobbie and probably goalkeeper Martin out of the equation and every other senior player on the books at present could be described as jobbing footballers.  IMO Kyle Hutton didn't do too badly when he got fit and had a run in the team, I wouldn't have been too upset if he had been kept on. but that's probably more a reflection of our other midfield options at the time. Having said that I wouldn't necessarily want him back now, unless he replaced Rankin.

I fully appreciate where we are. That said we need to bring in players who offer something different. Even if we accept the "jobbing" aspect we need to bring in jobbers who offer something different. IMHO Hutton would add nothing that we don`t already have. He was poor for us in my view and clearly awful in what was at the time a really poor St Mirren team. Why would we bring him back. Thankfully even if we were tempted Dumbarton have taken him off the market.

I don't think anyone's actually saying they would especially want him back at Queens now or even if we showed any interest in getting him back, but he is about the level of player we can target unless more cash becomes available. We will have to agree on differing views on his contribution the last time he was here, I thought he was quite steady after a shaky start, I wouldn't say he deserved POY awards though. 

There is a fair bit of retrospective appraisal going on here. Hutton did fine for us. He was probably over-rated by most of us but he won Player of the Year, did enough to be offered a two year extension at the time and turned it down for a better two year deal at St Mirren. Apparently it all went pear shaped after that but he DID do well with us.

I wouldnt take him back now though. We dont need a tidy possession central midfielder. We have those. He doesnt have the inventiveness to his game we could do with. He will probably do okay with Dumbarton though.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is a fair bit of retrospective appraisal going on here. Hutton did fine for us. He was probably over-rated by most of us but he won Player of the Year, did enough to be offered a two year extension at the time and turned it down for a better two year deal at St Mirren. Apparently it all went pear shaped after that but he DID do well with us.

I wouldnt take him back now though. We dont need a tidy possession central midfielder. We have those. He doesnt have the inventiveness to his game we could do with. He will probably do okay with Dumbarton though.

Some people offered similar appraisals at the time.

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Some people offered similar appraisals at the time.

A few did, notably rjc. But its been pretty much universal "he was rubbish" on this thread so far which appears to be more based on the player we saw against us for St Mirren last season than the one we saw play for us.

Guest Flash
10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

A few did, notably rjc. But its been pretty much universal "he was rubbish" on this thread so far which appears to be more based on the player we saw against us for St Mirren last season than the one we saw play for us.

I don't think I saw him play for St.Mirren against us, or even at all. Did he play for them at Palmerston? If he did, I don't remember him. My assessment of him is based 100% on what he did for us. Which was absolutely nothing.

The fact that he was offered a 2 year deal by us doesn't necessarily mean an awful lot. So was our current 3rd choice goalkeeper. 

I just remember him as average. He was far from our best ever CM but also nowhere near our worst.

I'm sure I was pretty relaxed about him staying or not. I'd have been happy if he stayed but wasn't disappointed he left.

If Dumbarton have some creativity in the middle to go alongside him he'll do fine.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So name the type of player we do need then!! A few ad say! Especially if Carmichael is out long term as I heard tonight mind you I also heard the board ain't wiling to give the gaffer dosh! Very strange considering the signed him on a 2 1/2 year deal!!!

46 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

So name the type of player we do need then!! A few ad say! Especially if Carmichael is out long term as I heard tonight mind you I also heard the board ain't wiling to give the gaffer dosh! Very strange considering the signed him on a 2 1/2 year deal!!!

If true then the board can't be backing him. Another "left for personal reasons " scenario?

I suppose today's game at Hamilton, should give us a good idea, how good the present squad is, I don't know if it's true that the player budget has been cut, it's not rocket science, we all know, if we can't sign decent players you don't get results, you start dropping down the table, and part from the diehards, you loose fans and so revenue.

Hutton was fine with us but he's not what we need which is why I don't think we were ever linked with him.  I'd have him in place of Rankin as he has all the same attributes, plus a bit more of a physical and aerial presence.  Rankin is more of a goal threat though, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.  Neither are players to get the fans excited, but most teams need a player of their ilk in the side.