The Queen of the South thread

Back to trying to be Mr Positive, like some have said we did hit the woodwork on 4 occasions (5 if you include Jacobs penalty), it was perhaps just one of these nights where it wasn't going to be. We have now played 2 competitive games (ok against opposition from lower divisions) but we have only conceded one goal and that was a penalty. Teams from higher divisions are always going to have occasions when they lose lesser opposition. (who would have thought we would beat Aberdeen in a Scottish cup semi final.). Imo the new players have done nothing to suggest they are bad signings, granted Rooney's final delivery into the box could be better but can we condemn him after just a couple of games. I also think Tapping is far better player than Rankin. he is lot more forward thinking.

If we can beat Hamilton (who only just beat East Kilbride in the last few minutes) then that should put us in a strong position to qualify for the second round.

My main moan is the type of football we appear to be playing at the moment, it is not exciting to watch, as I said in a previous post I don't mind Queens losing (it comes with the territory) provided they have tried to entertain and have tried there hardest coming of at the end exhausted, and I think a lot of that is down to the manager rather the players.

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

I would rather have kept Hamill he was not perfect but better than both the right backs we have just now

Totally agree with that, Hamill was far from perfect but more reliable than anything we have now.

The Manager has to take responsibility for that.

If it is budget related, and I am not convinced it is, then surely he would have been aware of what was at his disposal and how that would impact on what level of player he would be targeting for the new season. A wise Manager would have been been able to weigh up the potential options against existing squad members and get it right.

I have said on numerous previous occasions he made up his mind early to get rid of experienced professionals and especially those with a bit of history at the Club. I think he got it totally wrong.

Hamill was binned early on and he would have binned Dowie and Higgins if he had other options available at the time.

Of course, we had problems last season with that dreadful run and something had to change.

I think a more positive character than Naysmith could have brought that team together and re-instilled the confidence that had been eroded.

He looked at it and decided it needed wholesale changes rather than working to motivate and inspire confidence.   That says more about him and his attitude than it does about the quality of the players he chose to jettison.  Another major failing from this failing Manager.

Just to re-iterate, for me, this is not a knee-jerk reaction to EK match.  It is what I have felt from soon after he took over.

43 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Totally agree with that, Hamill was far from perfect but more reliable than anything we have now.

The Manager has to take responsibility for that.

If it is budget related, and I am not convinced it is, then surely he would have been aware of what was at his disposal and how that would impact on what level of player he would be targeting for the new season. A wise Manager would have been been able to weigh up the potential options against existing squad members and get it right.

I have said on numerous previous occasions he made up his mind early to get rid of experienced professionals and especially those with a bit of history at the Club. I think he got it totally wrong.

Hamill was binned early on and he would have binned Dowie and Higgins if he had other options available at the time.

Of course, we had problems last season with that dreadful run and something had to change.

I think a more positive character than Naysmith could have brought that team together and re-instilled the confidence that had been eroded.

He looked at it and decided it needed wholesale changes rather than working to motivate and inspire confidence.   That says more about him and his attitude than it does about the quality of the players he chose to jettison.  Another major failing from this failing Manager.

Just to re-iterate, for me, this is not a knee-jerk reaction to EK match.  It is what I have felt from soon after he took over.

Most people would have binned Dowie and Higgins in January.

You're comments on getting rid of experienced professionals with a history at the club and "wholesale changes" just dont stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

Im also puzzled as to why people think Naysmith is a negative person

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

One reason concerns the dour football we've played on his watch, although he could claim that it predates him.

Another is the perception - perhaps overstated, but not entirely invented either in my view - that he's unduly willing to be overtly critical of players.

For whatever reason a lot of people didn't take to Naysmith from day one.  It's all very puzzling to me.  Gavin Skelton went an entire quarter of a season without a single victory yet didn't receive anything like the level of criticism that our current manager is receiving for going unbeaten in two games.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

For whatever reason a lot of people didn't take to Naysmith from day one.  It's all very puzzling to me.  Gavin Skelton went an entire quarter of a season without a single victory yet didn't receive anything like the level of criticism that our current manager is receiving for going unbeaten in two games.

Skelton wasn't in charge for all of that second quarter was he?  I thought we'd only endured about four or five defeats, before he 'stood down'.  He'd also banked plenty of goodwill during the first quarter.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

One reason concerns the dour football we've played on his watch, although he could claim that it predates him.

Another is the perception - perhaps overstated, but not entirely invented either in my view - that he's unduly willing to be overtly critical of players.

Hmm, ok.

I realise you're answering on behalf of others, but I cant say I've ever thought the football under him was particularly "dour".

One mans honesty is anothers negativity.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Hmm, ok.

I realise you're answering on behalf of others, but I cant say I've ever thought the football under him was particularly "dour".

One mans honesty is anothers negativity.

I do.  We play very little football and lack creativity, pace and effective width.  We're not attractive to watch.  But we do have Dobbie.

I agree with your final line and personally, I'd favour the honest approach.  I do think however, that he seems keen to shirk responsibility at times.  His noises can often sound not very collective.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I do.  We play very little football and lack creativity, pace and effective width.  We're attractive to watch.  But we do have Dobbie.

I agree with your final line and personally, I'd favour the honest approach.  I do think however, that he seems keen to shirk responsibility at times.  His noises can often sound not very collective.

We do lack creativity and pace but I cant say Naysmiths side plays less football than Skeltons, for example. Fowlers side played a lot of football, which I didnt mind, but he was hounded out because it was boring.

Like most teams at this level we've had bad performances and good ones, some very good ones like beating Morton 3-0 and Dundee Utd 4-2. 

Any conversation about the style of play seems to use the Allan Johnston side that played in the seaside league against part-timers as some sort of yardstick.  It really isn't a fair comparison.  We'll never know how he would have had us perform at this level because he buggered off to be a complete failure at Kilmarnock.  Given what McIntrye achieved with that group of players, and given what AJ managed with Dunfermline last season I think it's fair to assume he would have had us round about where we ended up anyway.

All managers when they come in talk about playing football the right way, and putting their stamp on things but it is just buzzwords and management mumbo jumbo.  The style of play comes down to the abilities of the players more than anything.

I think some people need to take a reality check and have a think about where our standing in the game is and perhaps lower expectations a touch.

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We do lack creativity and pace but I cant say Naysmiths side plays less football than Skeltons, for example. Fowlers side played a lot of football, which I didnt mind, but he was hounded out because it was boring.

This. It seems like the fans/board turned on Fowler (getting rid of him still seems like a mistake) the club have lost any idea of a long term plan. As somebody said above we are in danger of getting a "6 months and you're out" reputation which undoes a lot of the good work of the last few years.

44 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We haven't conceded a goal in 164 minutes. Take that haters.

25 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Like most teams at this level we've had bad performances and good ones, some very good ones like beating Morton 3-0 and Dundee Utd 4-2. 

There's been no improvement to results or performances since the guy came in .

The players he's brought have not improved either of those .

He's brought a keeper in without getting rid of the one he doesn't want.

This in effect is wasting the player budget when he is desperate to strengthen the squad.

To me this shows the arrogance of the guy.

The football in the second half of fowler is the same as it is now. One paced, not especially wide , full backs who can't defend and not a mobile central midfield player in sight. He spent his second season moaning about losing all his good players when he signed over the hill dross like Ryan Conroy and Paul Heffernan. Let's not romanticise the difficult second  season.

59 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Most people would have binned Dowie and Higgins in January.

You're comments on getting rid of experienced professionals with a history at the club and "wholesale changes" just dont stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

Try reading my post properly.

I acknowledged there were problems before he came in.

My point was,  a better Manager than Naysmith would have worked to turn things around rather than take the easy way out and discard experienced professionals.

Not sure what kind of scrutiny you mean but Dowie, Higgins and Robinson in particular provide the history and, along with all the others released add up to wholesale changes in my book.

Choose any post-match interview you like and that will stop you being puzzled any longer !