The Queen of the South thread

I thought Tapping should have been on from the start, but this was so poor, and to get beat on penalties , not good enough I don't think Hamilton will be shaken in their boots,
I'm now turned into one of the believers, I don't think Naysmith is the answer, have to say I liked the Queens goalie he looks the part, a big improvement on Robison

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

The emoji for some reason came out as .8),On East Kilbride fans does anyone know how many there were?Couldnt be more than 20?

More than that, for some reason there were quite a few in the old stand. Segregation failure?

What do if you guys make of Rooney? He's a big lump of a boy and either looked good or like he had never played football before when he was with us. Some of his positioning and basics were just not there.

He is brutal .Fits in nicely with Brownlie and Fordyce .Brownlie can pass the ball but 99% of the time its to the opposition .3 times last night he let the ball bounce.As a defender you just dont let that happen ..Fordyce looks like he is pulling a tractor .He will get ransacked against decent players.Rankin is RANK.Finished a season ago, and gets a 2 year deal .He must have thought it was christmas .I said previously the manager would be gone before the clocks change.I was wrong it will be before that .
This squad is going nowhere........ FAST .

Some fans think we were unlucky last night .

Had 17 shots hit the post 4 times .

Bottem line is we never scored we had one pass to many every time.We were far to slow in everything we did easy to defend against .We have no pace anywhere in the team  Summed it up in the pens only Diobbue could score that is all we have 

When BOD appointed GN and decided to give him (by comparison) a long term deal one assumes that this decision was predicated on the assumption that we had unearthed an ambitious, progressive young manager who could get us competing near top end of table.

He may still prove to be capable of doing all of these things but like many QOS supporters I want to feel that I am on a journey of hope and can believe that we have ambition and desire to at least try and "punch above our weight".

I don't feel any sense of expectation coming out of Palmerston about the season ahead. Are we pushing for play off or simply trying to stay up? What style of football does Manager want to aspire to?

I am honestly none the wiser on these points. I don't want a Manager who makes reckless predictions that have no foundation but equally if the Manager doesn't believe in himself and his players what chance do we have?

He may believe in himself but he has never given the impression that he believes in the players.

I am not prepared to cut Naysmith any slack  as I saw nothing from his management last season to provide any optimism for this season.  We need to get rid as soon as possible.

The football on offer has been dire to watch and his excessive negativity and criticism toward his players totally unacceptable.   His man management and motivational skills are non-existent and his football philosophy not much better.    He will reap what he sows.

After the magnificent AJ season and the introduction of the plastic surface I seem to recall the Club saying that the way forward was for fast, attacking, on the ground football.  This certainly continued under McIntyre and Fowler but changed slightly with Skelton and is now unrecognisable under Naysmith.

It may be because most of those players have moved on but I would have thought the Board - of whom I am very supportive - would make it clear to any prospective Manager what they are looking for in terms of approach.   It is then up to the Manager to recruit, coach and organise accordingly to deliver on that.

That has certainly not happened since Naysmith came in.  His tactics, recruitment and negative approach have seen to that.

I still think Fowler was harshly treated and suspect the Board acted because of falling crowds and supporter displeasure.

If they are to be consistent then Naysmith should not last much longer as crowds will surely continue their downward trend and displeasure among the faithful will continue to grow.

I must say that I am usually very positive regarding all things QOS - even the relegation with Gus - and have never felt like this or as strongly as I do now.

Perhaps I have fallen into the web of negativity that surrounds  Naysmith.

At the start of every season for as long as I can remember, I have gone into every new season as Mr positive believing  this will be our season, no matter what those around me may have thought. That is until this season. Following Queens for as many seasons as I have you learn to take the highs with the lows and accept that we will lose as many as we win. I learnt to accept  this and as long as we attempted to play attractive football and came off looking as though we had tried our hardest (some games you can do this and it just isn't your day) then I was disappointed at losing but accepted it. At the moment however we are not playing attractive football and the players last night looked a little de motivated and argued amongst themselves, the team spirit that has often got us through games was missing.

I will continue to go as that has what I have done most seasons for as long as I can remember but at the moment it is through no sense of enjoyment.

Edited by jakeyman

More than that, for some reason there were quite a few in the old stand. Segregation failure?

There wasn't any segregation last night. I was sat with 2 EK fans behind me and the rest just down below me. There wasn't any bother though and I never felt there would be.

47 minutes ago, jakeyman said:

At the start of every season for as long as I can remember, I have gone into every new season as Mr positive believing  this will be our season, no matter what those around me may have thought. That is until this season. Following Queens for as many seasons as I have you learn to take the highs with the lows and accept that we will lose as many as we win. I learnt to accept  this and as long as we attempted to play attractive football and came off looking as though we had tried our hardest (some games you can do this and it just isn't your day) then I was disappointed at losing but accepted it. At the moment however we are not playing attractive football and the players last night looked a little de motivated and argued amongst themselves, the team spirit that has often got us through games was missing.

I will continue to go as that has what I have done most seasons for as long as I can remember but at the moment it is through no sense of enjoyment.

I did mention over a month ago that Naysmith doesn't seem to be able to get players to play anywhere close to the capabilities.

It even applied to Thomas And Thomson who finished off playing no where near the level they did when they first came.

Naysmith is ruthless and desperate to be a success not for the club but for himself. I realise that the club will benefit.

His management skills are poor And he Continues to play people in nog there best position to accommodate others.

Hi post match appraisal are great but he never once takes responsibility,however,he will always mention I'll see if there's anything we have done wrong.

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There wasn't any segregation last night. I was sat with 2 EK fans behind me and the rest just down below me. There wasn't any bother though and I never felt there would be.

That's not the point though, the club has a segregation policy for every game.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

When BOD appointed GN and decided to give him (by comparison) a long term deal one assumes that this decision was predicated on the assumption that we had unearthed an ambitious, progressive young manager who could get us competing near top end of table.

He may still prove to be capable of doing all of these things but like many QOS supporters I want to feel that I am on a journey of hope and can believe that we have ambition and desire to at least try and "punch above our weight".

I don't feel any sense of expectation coming out of Palmerston about the season ahead. Are we pushing for play off or simply trying to stay up? What style of football does Manager want to aspire to?

I am honestly none the wiser on these points. I don't want a Manager who makes reckless predictions that have no foundation but equally if the Manager doesn't believe in himself and his players what chance do we have?

This is one of the problems with the current Board. There doesn't seem to be much vision as to how the club can progress on the pitch. Or if there is, they don't share with the fans. Communication from them is patchy at best. They took their time mid-season to appoint Naysmith, but so far he doesn't seem to have the qualities or contacts needed to improve results or have a long-term plan as to where he sees the team going. He talks the talk in interviews and at meet the manager events but he doesn't quite walk the walk. I imagine he has his performance targets set by theBoard, so it will be interesting to see how long he gets. My gut feeling is as long as Queens are not relegated, he will stay in post. 

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

He may believe in himself but he has never given the impression that he believes in the players.

I am not prepared to cut Naysmith any slack  as I saw nothing from his management last season to provide any optimism for this season.  We need to get rid as soon as possible.

The football on offer has been dire to watch and his excessive negativity and criticism toward his players totally unacceptable.   His man management and motivational skills are non-existent and his football philosophy not much better.    He will reap what he sows.

After the magnificent AJ season and the introduction of the plastic surface I seem to recall the Club saying that the way forward was for fast, attacking, on the ground football.  This certainly continued under McIntyre and Fowler but changed slightly with Skelton and is now unrecognisable under Naysmith.

It may be because most of those players have moved on but I would have thought the Board - of whom I am very supportive - would make it clear to any prospective Manager what they are looking for in terms of approach.   It is then up to the Manager to recruit, coach and organise accordingly to deliver on that.

That has certainly not happened since Naysmith came in.  His tactics, recruitment and negative approach have seen to that.

I still think Fowler was harshly treated and suspect the Board acted because of falling crowds and supporter displeasure.

If they are to be consistent then Naysmith should not last much longer as crowds will surely continue their downward trend and displeasure among the faithful will continue to grow.

I must say that I am usually very positive regarding all things QOS - even the relegation with Gus - and have never felt like this or as strongly as I do now.

Perhaps I have fallen into the web of negativity that surrounds  Naysmith.

The Board must carry the can for the appointment of Naysmith. (see above) 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

I think the bigger picture, irrespective of the qualities of the current incumbent of the manager's job, is whether the board are prepared to back the manager in allowing him to assemble a squad? We appear to be operating with an exceptionally shallow squad, barely more than a full team of experienced players supplemented by a bunch of youngsters, who may, or very well may not, prove to be good enough for this level. Fleetwood managed to change their entire XI at half time in their friendly match against us, an increasingly common move that I've seen replicated at a couple of pre-season games I've attended, while we had a meagre five options available from the bench. The squad already looks paper thin, and this is before injuries and suspensions kick in. I'm aware that there have been suggestions that one or two more will be added to the squad, but, even without Naysmith's extraordinarily bleak message on the official site a few weeks ago about the lack of budget available to strengthen the squad, the distinct impresssion conveyed for the last couple of years is that the club is moving on (relatively) high wage earners and hoping to replace them on the cheap, either from promotion from the younger age groups (a hugely risky strategy given the very small percentage of youngsters who actually make the grade), judicious bargain basement shopping, or by bringing players in on loan deals, where the majority of their wages are paid by the parent clubs.

I've seen some speculation that we may be waiting to see if we qualify from the group stages of the current competition before strengthening with the associated windfall. If that is the case, then it's astonishingly short sighted, as progress in the cup was always much more likely to be secured by making the much needed investment in the playing staff in the first place. It would be like waiting to see if we get relegated before deciding whether it would have been worth investing in the players who could have secured our Championship status. I tend to think that's such an implausible scenario that the truth is likely to be simply that Naysmith is having genuine difficulty attracting players with the limited budget at his disposal. Despite the relative profitability of the off the field activities in recent years, for which the board should be commended, it feels as if the club is more focused on generating profit than it is on putting a decent team on the park.

Football isn't just another business though, and as a shareholder, I would like to see profit generated from off the field activities subsidising the quality and depth of the playing pool. The 'most profitable club in Division One' is not an accolade I'm particularly keen to secure, but it seems a lot more likely to come to pass than any title won on the park. Anyone can see that the squad is not only short of numbers, but is completely unbalanced, with a glaring lack of pace and creativity. I'm sure this obvious point has not been lost on the management. Defensive midfielders who don't chip in with their share of goals or assists tend to be less coveted and less expensive than players that can make a difference at the business end of the pitch. If the board are labouring under the impression that promoting untested kids from within is going to be an adequate alternative to assembling a Championship-standard squad, then this belief will almost certainly prove to be delusional. It's certainly a cheaper strategy, but will it prove to be an effective one? Doubtful to say the least.

If the board aren't prepared to back the manager, then they should sack him, but I have a feeling that the manager's position at Palmerston is already becoming a poisoned chalice. Are the board ready to back anyone, or will, as seems likely, the next man be similarly constrained? A ever-rotating cast of managers of ever-diminishing quality seems likely and, inevitably, relegation to the division below. Ultimately, responsibility will lie with the board, rather than with the fall guy who happens to be occupying the manager's position at the time.

Edited by Frankie S

EK were well organised and fair play to them
Dobbie must be hating it back here,Carrying absolute shite week in week out is not what he would of planned I can guarantee this isn't what his retirement was meant to be like.He showed frustration at Rooney after stenny pen on Saturday and at one point today he actually turned back in into traffic instead of playing it out wide to Rooney simply because he knows the cross would be poor just like the other times.
As much as I'd like to blame Naysmith I feel like he wants to sign players but the budget just isn't there,Need a Defender,Striker and some creative midfielder.I understand that no team in the league will sit back against us like that although right from the start there was no creativity atall.The chances in first half all came from Dobbie and we cannot keep going on like that,without him there is absolutely nothing.
Just can't be arsed with that team anymore and can't see us finishing above 8th,Onto Hamilton now and if we win we will be favourites to top the group still

I felt sorry for Rooney last night, he had absolutely no support out wide and was crossing the ball with two folk right up his arse every single time. I've heard the club has next to no money left for signings either