The Queen of the South thread

On 4/30/2017 at 10:59, Skyline Drifter said:

I know Palmylad updated the goals table yesterday but just to update the total stats one:

1 - Jim Patterson, 251 goals in 462 appearances, 1949 - 1963
2 - Bobby Black, 120 goals in 346 appearances, 1952 - 1961
3 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007
4 - Derek Lyle, 109 goals in 254 starts (75 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - Current
5 - Jocky Dempster, 98 goals in 342 starts (13 sub) appearances, 1970 - 1979
6 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999
7 - Stevie Mallan, 94 goals in 233 starts (32 sub) appearances, 1993 - 2000
8 - Tommy McCall, 93 goals in 264 appearances, 1925 - 1934
9 - Ian Reid, 89 goals in 192 starts (5 sub) appearances, 1973 - 1978
10 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993
11 - Stephen Dobbie, 81 goals in 128 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current
12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960
13 - Iain McChesney, 79 goals in 587 starts (28 sub) appearances, 1961 - 1982
14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998
15 - Billy Houliston, 74 goals in 155 apearances, 1945 - 1952
16 - Jackie Law, 71 goals in 226 appearances, 1936 - 1948
17 - John O'Neill, 70 goals in 143 starts (52 sub) appearances, 2001 - 2003 & 2005 - 2008
18 - Lex Law, 68 goals in 316 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1964 - 1975
19 - Jimmy Rutherford, 66 goals in 65 appearances, 1930 - 1934
20 - Willie Dougan, 65 goals in 88 appearances, 1922 - 1925

Stephen Dobbie's season ending burst of goals has now moved him through to 11th on the all time list ahead of Iain McChesney and Jackie Oakes. Big gap ahead to Jimmy Robertson now of 8 goals. 11th was always as far as he was realistically going to get this season. He needs 19 more to become the 5th player to score 100 goals for the club.

59 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Where is Dobbie on all-time scoring list? I know it's in the thread somewhere, but I'm not sure how far back. And Lyle?

Just use the search function on one of the older surnames. Searching for "Patterson" got me the above in about 10 seconds.

The above was after the Falkirk game so add two starts and two goals for Dobbie. Lyle has come on as a sub in both games I think but not added to his goals.

Dobs is now on 83, 6 short of a spot in the top 10 and 17 away from becoming the 5th player to reach 100. Given he is 26 behind Del 5th is probably about as far as he can get unless he stays longer than the current season.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just use the search function on one of the older surnames. Searching for "Patterson" got me the above in about 10 seconds.

The above was after the Falkirk game so add two starts and two goals for Dobbie. Lyle has come on as a sub in both games I think but not added to his goals.

Dobs is now on 83, 6 short of a spot in the top 10 and 17 away from becoming the 5th player to reach 100. Given he is 26 behind Del 5th is probably about as far as he can get unless he stays longer than the current season.

Unrelated to what's being discussed, but just something that struck me from the table:

How come Billy Houliston only seems to have averaged about twenty appearances a season?  Did he miss big chunks of his time with us through injury, or was he out of favour at points?

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Unrelated to what's being discussed, but just something that struck me from the table:

How come Billy Houliston only seems to have averaged about twenty appearances a season?  Did he miss big chunks of his time with us through injury, or was he out of favour at points?

He certainly wasnt a regular starter in his first couple of seasons. Spent most of his time in the reserves. 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

He certainly wasnt a regular starter in his first couple of seasons. Spent most of his time in the reserves. 

Yes, I suppose that balances the figures a bit, right enough.

I'd just have assumed that as our superstar, he'd have been an ever present.  He must have got in the Scotland team, having only had a couple of Queens seasons under his belt then.  

Not at the game, just my interpretation of the facts and  information provided.
Poor first half by all accounts and then, interestingly, we score 3 goals after Lyle is on and Dykes is off.
It is totally crazy that any decent Manager would start Dykes in front of Lyle.
Is Naysmith not aware of how Dobbie and Lyle link-up so well together and how well Lyle can hold the ball up to bring others into play.  We are so much more of a threat when he is on the pitch.
If he hasn't recognised the 'chemistry' between them first hand then perhaps he should visit QOS TV to watch the highlights of the early season games when they tore defences apart.
They are both such experienced, intelligent and instinctive strikers they know the runs each other will make and feed of each other so well.
I know Naysmith is already quoted  that Lyle won't start every game but Del is fit enough to play at least 60minutes and, in my opinion, full games as well.
If he sticks to his plan he may well regret it.

To be fair he is maybe seeing what Dykes is like against weaker teams than we will face in the league. If he can't cut it against Stenny then he ain't going to cut it against Brechin let alone Dundee Utd, Falkirk etc. Better to find out now.

2 minutes ago, Queens1919 said:

To be fair he is maybe seeing what Dykes is like against weaker teams than we will face in the league. If he can't cut it against Stenny then he ain't going to cut it against Brechin let alone Dundee Utd, Falkirk etc. Better to find out now.

From last season we already know he can cut it against teams at this level. It`s whether he can do it reasonably consistently that remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

Slightly off topic but I've always wondered who it is that updates all these latest scores apps etc at Palmerston ?
I've seen myself receiving updates 20 seconds after somebody has scored .

Im not sure how the external ones work but the clubs own updates are done by someone at the game (obviously, I suppose). They have a page which updates the live updates page on the website, twitter and facebook at the same time.

Having said that, we're trying something different this season to allow us to post images to the twitter and facebook updates which might mean a slight delay to the updates on there. Not that anyones noticed :(

41 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How is Fordyce so far?

Steady. 

Edited by Mr X

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How is Fordyce so far?

Won't really know until we play against better teams, never been really tested yet. Looked decent against Annan (friendly) and Stenny which is all I've seen of him. Hopefully won't have too much of a problem tonight V East Kilbride so Saturday away to Hamilton should give a better indication.