The Queen of the South thread

22 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Naysmith will be getting tattoos and posters of Dobbie as that what will keep him in a job

Couldn't agree more, he's so lucky to inherit him as no one he's brought in has made any where near an impact

3 hours ago, Besty said:

Hiya Nobby,still here.

It's a shame you don't read nor understand what I post , you could learn a lot .

Naysmith out around Christmas time, you watch 

Look Lee, your time would be better spent trying to find a new club rather than trolling Internet forums.

24 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Look Lee, your time would be better spent trying to find a new club rather than trolling Internet forums.

Ha,you are so good, we are all on here can you find Dobbie ,Del etc 

Let's play, find the footballer .

What a nugget 

5 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

When was the last time Dykes scored for QOTS?

The crucial 3rd goal in a 4-2 win v Dundee United on 1st April. Until yesterday`s game I don`t think anyone other than Dobbie has scored for us in a competitive game since that match.

Dykes also set up Dobbie for a goal away to Falkirk on 29th April.

I suspect I`m in the minority here but I think there is a player in there but he looks bereft of confidence. Becoming the new whipping boy for our fans won`t help that.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The crucial 3rd goal in a 4-2 win v Dundee United on 1st April. Until yesterday`s game I don`t think anyone other than Dobbie has scored for us in a competitive game since that match.

Dykes also set up Dobbie for a goal away to Falkirk on 29th April.

I suspect I`m in the minority here but I think there is a player in there but he looks bereft of confidence. Becoming the new whipping boy for our fans won`t help that.

He played really well that day against United after coming on as sub and effectively forced the 4th goal too (Paul Dixon turned his header into his own net).

As you say, until Rooney's header yesterday he was the most recent non Dobbie goalscorer. He is a really good prospect but didnt get enough goals really last season though. He needs to improve his goal tally and it would be nice to see Connor Murray and Ross Fergusson add first team goals to their repertoire too.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He played really well that day against United after coming on as sub and effectively forced the 4th goal too (Paul Dixon turned his header into his own net).

As you say, until Rooney's header yesterday he was the most recent non Dobbie goalscorer. He didnt get enough goals really last season though. He needs to improve his goal tally and it would be nice to see Connor Murray and Ross Fergusson add first team goals to their repertoire too.

Agreed re his goal tally. 

I thought he started last season well. Really based on how he did then that I think he could still come good. Possibly worth him coming into games from the bench for the next game or two. Connor Murray certainly did enough when he came on yesterday to merit a start.

Agreed re his goal tally. 
I thought he started last season well. Really based on how he did then that I think he could still come good. Possibly worth him coming into games from the bench for the next game or two. Connor Murray certainly did enough when he came on yesterday to merit a start.

I also rate Lyndon, think he gets a hard time. Folk need to remember that was his first season at that sort of level, I'd say he did alright. Not getting away from it though, it's a massive season for the lad, really could do to kick on.

Really hope Murray gets a run of games, as from what I seen last season there definitely is a player there. Not so sure about other youngsters, Jessie definitely done well against Annan when he came on and reported to have done well at Fleetwood so hopefully he can carry that on. Fergusson I'm really not sure on, and Bell is still relatively young, looked ok last year like, but a loan spell could benefit him although obviously not at the moment with how threadbare we are.

Does anyone know why Jesse was released from Brentford? I don't know what reputation the Brentford academy has but another one who was released from there, in his case for having a bad attitude, is Myles Hippolyte who found resurrection at LIvingston in 2015/16 and last season became a fans favourite at Falkirk. The comparison is of course meaningless however a similar result for Jesse would be cracking.

8 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Does anyone know why Jesse was released from Brentford? I don't know what reputation the Brentford academy has but another one who was released from there, in his case for having a bad attitude, is Myles Hippolyte who found resurrection at LIvingston in 2015/16 and last season became a fans favourite at Falkirk. The comparison is of course meaningless however a similar result for Jesse would be cracking.

Brentford closed their Academy in 2016. I appreciate that Akubuine was released in 2014, but their Academy had been in flux for a while so it may have been that he was looking to move. No idea if the player in question has attitude issues or how he ended up at Queens. Does he have connections with the club or Dumfries area?

Brentford closed their Academy as they felt they couldn't compete for young players in the London area while the best of their youngsters were being cherry-picked by bigger clubs. AFC Wimbledon have taken a few of their best prospects and a couple of their coaches. 

The problem with Lyndon Dykes for me is not so much his ability but his attitude. He gives the impression that he sometimes wants to do just enough rather than push himself to do a bit more, not so much lazy as lethargic. I will say however in what I have seen of him so far this season, at Annan and Stenhousemuir, I thought I noticed a more determined attitude, maybe a desire to get more involved and take some responsibility. Early days as far as this season goes but hopefully he will continue to show improvement as running a with a small squad we can't really afford anyone not giving their full commitment.

8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The problem with Lyndon Dykes for me is not so much his ability but his attitude. He gives the impression that he sometimes wants to do just enough rather than push himself to do a bit more, not so much lazy as lethargic. I will say however in what I have seen of him so far this season, at Annan and Stenhousemuir, I thought I noticed a more determined attitude, maybe a desire to get more involved and take some responsibility. Early days as far as this season goes but hopefully he will continue to show improvement as running a with a small squad we can't really afford anyone not giving their full commitment.

Judging by game highlights only, Dykes looked absolute quality at the start of last season. As said above, it was his first season at anything like a decent level and he was always going to be be a bit inconsistent and go through peaks and troughs in form and confidence. Didn't he also get involved off the field with an ex-member of staff? That can't have helped his form or focus. 

Last year of his contract so he needs to show what he can do or he'll be heading back to the Goldcoast with his surf board.

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

7 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Judging by game highlights only, Dykes looked absolute quality at the start of last season. As said above, it was his first season at anything like a decent level and he was always going to be be a bit inconsistent and go through peaks and troughs in form and confidence. Didn't he also get involved off the field with an ex-member of staff? That can't have helped his form or focus. 

Last year of his contract so he needs to show what he can do or he'll be heading back to the Goldcoast with his surf board.

I think the first league game of last season away to Dundee Utd is a good example of why he frustrates a lot of fans. First half of the game he looked interested, got stuck in, took men on, etc. The whole team were playing well mind you. Second half he almost  completely disappeared, looked as if he had no energy, didn't look interested. To be fair, Dundee Utd stepped up their game quite a bit and our  team as a whole were being tested, but as a relative young lad Dykes just looked to fade right out if it. As you say, there was some off-field issues going on but hopefully that has settled down and he can concentrate on scoring on the park now.

Strikers need to score, n'est-ce pas? We were lucky on the injury front last season with Lyle and Dobbie. I think we all know that if either, esp The Dobbmeister, is out for an extended spell, we are going to struggle badly. Dykes has had plenty of starts already. I don't think we can afford to have him "learning his trade" as one of our starting XI. Maybe Saturday and Tuesday night are reasonable picks for him to start ahead of Lyle but when the real business starts, I would reverse their roles. Still think we need another person in the squad though.

The problem with Lyndon Dykes for me is not so much his ability but his attitude. He gives the impression that he sometimes wants to do just enough rather than push himself to do a bit more, not so much lazy as lethargic.

That's exactly my problem with him. He looked interested at the start of last season and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. If that's the attitude a player has I've no issue with them losing the ball trying something different. My problem with Dykes is that at the end of the season he was strolling around the park as if he couldn't care. It was even more frustrating given he played better out wide and when given a shot in his favoured position he didn't look as keen. You'd have thought it would have been the other way around.

For the height of him he's poor in the air. I'd rather have Lyle up there winning flicks. Hopefully a good pre-season will see the original Dykes as he could be a good player for us. If the end of season Dykes returns then the best place for him (for the team) is the bench.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's exactly my problem with him. He looked interested at the start of last season and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. If that's the attitude a player has I've no issue with them losing the ball trying something different. My problem with Dykes is that at the end of the season he was strolling around the park as if he couldn't care. It was even more frustrating given he played better out wide and when given a shot in his favoured position he didn't look as keen. You'd have thought it would have been the other way around.

For the height of him he's poor in the air. I'd rather have Lyle up there winning flicks. Hopefully a good pre-season will see the original Dykes as he could be a good player for us. If the end of season Dykes returns then the best place for him (for the team) is the bench.

That is my problem with Dykes he looks like he could give more. Any 50 -50 ball Dykes will lose it.Has shown in flashes he has something.