The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, NM_1919 said:

What's your point at the start? To exactly do same at end emoji848.png I'm not bothered about what foot the winger uses but, I just want a winger out there who can put in a decent ball or take on a man which I don't think either Tapping or Rankin will do, and Young Connor has done in previous games.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I wasnt being entirely serious.

;)

Edited by Mr X

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair enough. I`m assuming it`s with ref to the discussion re Thomas being played on the right.

i`m a bit slow on the uptake tonight. It`s been a long day :lol:

Looks like you're not the only one :lol:

Stirling started on the right today, which I think is his more natural side, but he looked far more effective when he switched to the left. Having said that, he seems capable of going round the outside on either wing and, as NM said, all we really want is a winger who can go past players and delivery quality into the box

For those not at the game, there was a strong wind behind Stennie in the first half and behind us in the second. We struggled all over the park, glimpses of promise but not much teamwork. But the second half was one-way traffic, it took us a while but we got there in the end. And yes, once Lyle and Murray were on, we were a lot better. 

I liked Rooney and Stirling, both showed promise (notwithstanding giving away a penalty!). 

Probably the middle of the park was where we struggled, I'll be kind and say we haven't 'gelled' yet.

They had one shot on target, the penalty, so the defence were solid enough.

And the keeper looked capable.

Bring on East Kilbride!

We huffed and puffed a bit. And clearly we are short on numbers. Everyone knows that, including the manager, its not a revelation.

However, though we left it late, we werent bad today. Longworth gave us some problems but Stenny have had two shots at goal all day, one of which was a penalty. Rooney had an aberation at the goal, first in losing his man then in clearly fouling him trying to get back in. Otherwise though we never looked troubled at the back and I thought Brownlie and Fordyce did well.

Lacked invention mostly first half but we were playing into driving wind and rain. Without exactly peppering the goal the second half was one way traffic with Stirling stepping up his game. Dobbie was the class act though, scoring two and making one for Rooney who made up for his error with a great looping header.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Looks like you're not the only one :lol:

Stirling started on the right today, which I think is his more natural side, but he looked far more effective when he switched to the left. Having said that, he seems capable of going round the outside on either wing and, as NM said, all we really want is a winger who can go past players and delivery quality into the box

Yep I thought he carried a real threat 2nd half. 

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We huffed and puffed a bit. And clearly we are short on numbers. Everyone knows that, including the manager, its not a revelation.

However, though we left it late, we werent bad today. Longworth gave us some problems but Stenny have had two shots at goal all day, one of which was a penalty. Rooney had an aberation at the goal, first in losing his man then in clearly fouling him trying to get back in. Otherwise though we never looked troubled at the back and I thought Brownlie and Fordyce did well.

Lacked invention mostly first half but we were playing into driving wind and rain. Without exactly peppering the goal the second half was one way traffic with Stirling stepping up his game. Dobbie was the class act though, scoring two and making one for Rooney who made up for his error with a great looping header.

Fair summary.

Conditions were tough but our ball retention and as you say lack of invention was a real problem first half.

I actually didn`t think Dobbie was at his best today but as you say was still comfortably the class act on view. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Meant to say I thought Connor Murray made a real difference when he came on and fired in a couple of great corners, the first of which brought about the equaliser.

Agreed. 

As stated on the cup forum it seems a real waste to me that Dobbie takes our corners.

He needs to be in the box as evidenced by our equaliser.

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Agreed. 

As stated on the cup forum it seems a real waste to me that Dobbie takes our corners.

He needs to be in the box as evidenced by our equaliser.

Very much this. It wouldnt be so bad if his deliverys were good but theyre not better than several others in the squad. Of course, he did put in the free kick that Rooney equalised from

Will Queens be making more signings SD ..?

16 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Will Queens be making more signings SD ..?

I think its pretty much 100% guaranteed that there are more signings to come.  

The big thing is whether these signings are going to be squad fillers or guys that are going to improve our starting lineup.  

One game is obviously too early to judge but if things don't improve from today's performance then we're going to struggle I think.

The big thing is whether these signings are going to be squad fillers or guys that are going to improve our starting lineup.  
One game is obviously too early to judge but if things don't improve from today's performance then we're going to struggle I think.

The only thing is that the team have only had 3 games together so will take time to gel, hopefully another win Tuesday will help build some momentum going into the Hamilton game, where I think we can take something but as long as we don't get beat it'll be a good result.

8 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

This, this and this.

Is it possible Naismith is waiting to see if we qualify out of the league cup group stage? Will it help determine his budget for signing players?

I think there's a few on here thinking the same, extra 35k for the budget, hopefully a win against Airdrie will also help the coffers.

Who was the left back? One of the worst players I have ever seen.
Dobbie is a level above what age is he now? Light years ahead of anything else you have on that performance.

QOTS were brutal. If we had enough senior players to fill the bench and replace legs after an hour that would have been easy work.
Dobbie is a class act but apart from that you couldn't take one of their players in our squad. John Rankin was particularly rancid.
There is no way that gang will finish above 8th in the Championship.
Enjoy your season.

giphy.gif