The Queen of the South thread

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Andy Stirling has also been a contracted player at St Mirren (not sure if he actually played or not).

Whoever updates the player profiles on the OS might want to take a look then seeing as that's where I nicked all the info from. ;)

Based on the above, when are ourselves and Dunfermline finally going to accept the inevitable and merge?

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's almost as if this is an era of short term contracts at this level, prompting players to move around a lot.

Geez ... we're killing time in the off season. The football starts again tomorrow, you couldnt put up with it for just one day? :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Whoever updates the player profiles on the OS might want to take a look then seeing as that's where I nicked all the info from. ;)

Based on the above, when are ourselves and Dunfermline finally going to accept the inevitable and merge?

Whoever updates the player profiles on the OS definitely did not nick the info from wikipedia - which doesnt list St Mirren as a former club ;)

26 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

:lol:

To be fair, I didn't know it either. I just checked the registration record at the SFA for all the new players to see where they had been. Stirling was a youth at St Mirren and signed his first professional contract there in 2006 at 16. He left them in March 2009 and signed for Stenhousemuir just after his 19th birthday. I presume he never played first team at St Mirren but don't know for sure.

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Whoever updates the player profiles on the OS definitely did not nick the info from wikipedia - which doesnt list St Mirren as a former club ;)

Was it you? I couldn't remember who did it. I was about to take the blame!

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair, I didn't know it either. I just checked the registration record at the SFA for all the new players to see where they had been. Stirling was a youth at St Mirren and signed his first professional contract there in 2006 at 16. He left them in March 2009 and signed for Stenhousemuir just after his 19th birthday. I presume he never played first team at St Mirren but don't know for sure.

Was it you? I couldn't remember who did it. I was about to take the blame!

I never said it was me :whistle 

Just like at first team level big teams from North and South of the border cherry pick all the best young talents from around the country so that's what makes it even harder to find guys who are good enough to make the grade for us yet remain unnoticed by the bigger teams. It is usually when they are older and if they haven't quite made it they come back to the club. So in terms of the amount of Dumfries born players around atm who have been involved in our youth setup at some point there are a fair few playing at a good level. That's what we should be judged on. In an ideal world they would stay with us establish themselves with us then move on for a big fee but this isn't an ideal world.

So why would it just be me then??
Obviously as die hard doonhamer said it was reported it was funded out with the club, however if the club were paying a substantial amount to one player then surely his wage would cover the cost of 2 possibly 3 average players,, come on this is Scottish championship football and most players are probably not getting a lot more than the average person working a 40 hour week

I would certainly have swapped Baird and McHugh for a single dobbie and even thrown in a 3rd striker if needed. He would have meant we'd have gone up paired with Austin and Miller

22 hours ago, Stu1 said:

So why would it just be me then??

Obviously as die hard doonhamer said it was reported it was funded out with the club, however if the club were paying a substantial amount to one player then surely his wage would cover the cost of 2 possibly 3 average players,, come on this is Scottish championship football and most players are probably not getting a lot more than the average person working a 40 hour week

It might not just be you though I don`t spot any other posters thus far thinking having no Dobbie in exchange for "2/3 half decent players" would a good idea. 

It might not just be you though I don`t spot any other posters thus far thinking having no Dobbie in exchange for "2/3 half decent players" would a good idea. 

I have not once said i would rather more players over Dobbie, I would never get rid of him however if we didn't have him and the club were funding his wage would could have a few extra player and wouldn't be low on numbers.

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Very bad idea imo

I have not once said i would rather more players over Dobbie, I would never get rid of him however if we didn't have him and the club were funding his wage would could have a few extra player and wouldn't be low on numbers.

I'm a big fan of dobbie not often in this league you get a player of that quality make the most of having him. It's been ages since we've had a player like that maybe latapy or stainrod

23 hours ago, Stu1 said:

Obviously I don't think any of us would ever want Dobbie to leave, (I would keep him playing for many years then give him managers job lol) but does anyone think that his wage is maybe holding us back from signing 2/3 half decent players that could equally be as good

15 minutes ago, Stu1 said:

Fair enough. We certainly agree re keeping him playing.

That said I still don`t agree that spending the money from Dobbie`s wages (even if it were possible to do so) on 2/3 half decent players could in any way be equally as good. That`s what I take the last point of your initial post on the subject to mean.

I`d rather be a bit low on numbers than bereft of quality. FWIW I`d imagine we`ll bring in another couple of players in the next few weeks. I`m happy enough for some of our promising youngsters to be in the squad.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I'm a big fan of dobbie not often in this league you get a player of that quality make the most of having him. It's been ages since we've had a player like that maybe latapy or stainrod

As I said in a earlier post I would keep him playing for many more years, I would never get rid of him but all I was saying was if we didn't have him we would possibly have a few extra players as his wage is significantly more than the average.. however it's reported that his wage is sourced outwith the club so is really irrelevant now

Fair enough. I still don`t agree that spending the money from Dobbie`s wages (even if it were possible to do so) on 2/3 half decent players could in any way be equally as good. That`s what I take your initial post on the subject to mean.
I`d rather be a bit low on numbers than bereft of quality. FWIW I`d imagine we`ll bring in another couple of players in the next few weeks. I`m happy enough for some of our promising youngsters to be in the squad.

Well I apologise for any confusion as I would never get rid of him, was just meaning hypothetically if we didn't have him we would possibly have a couple extra additions to the squad, obviously was told that his wage was getting funded outwith the club so wouldn't even make a difference