The Queen of the South thread

57 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Ideally you'd want a couple of players every year. You could basically count Connor Murray as a success, then you'd be hoping Owen bell or Jesse Akubeine (who's been pretty impressive during pre season) kick on. Not sure if Ross fergusson has actually signed or not yet?

But then next year your hoping for another couple from this new crop to come in. Tbh I think Naysmith is giving them a better chance with the training being similar, and sending them out on loan, it's making them mature faster and was always something I thought queens should've been doing before. I'm hoping it happens again this year and boys at least get lowland league football out of it.

Can moan about teams taking our local youth but not much can be done as SD said. But there has bound to be times we have benefited from it, it's something we should be looking at, local boys leaving bigger clubs.

Ross Fergusson is signed. He spent a week down at Liverpool when he was about 15 while they had a look at him.

I think there's a genuine attempt to structure the 20's training etc exactly as the first team with Eddie up at first team training regularly to see how it's done but in terms of loans I don't think there's anything much different being done now than over the last couple of seasons. Since Development Loans became a thing we've been sending 20's boys with no immediate first team prospects out to South League teams and where possible Lowland League teams.

We do regularly pick up local boys leaving bigger clubs. We've picked up two youths recently who have left Kilmarnock and a couple in the last few seasons departing Rangers. Connor Murray isn't local but we picked him up after he left St Mirren. Likewise Jesse Akubuine isn't local either but was picked up when he left Brentford having previously been with Peterborough.

Ross Fergusson is signed. He spent a week down at Liverpool when he was about 15 while they had a look at him.
I think there's a genuine attempt to structure the 20's training etc exactly as the first team with Eddie up at first team training regularly to see how it's done but in terms of loans I don't think there's anything much different being done now than over the last couple of seasons. Since Development Loans became a thing we've been sending 20's boys with no immediate first team prospects out to South League teams and where possible Lowland League teams.
We do regularly pick up local boys leaving bigger clubs. We've picked up two youths recently who have left Kilmarnock and a couple in the last few seasons departing Rangers. Connor Murray isn't local but we picked him up after he left St Mirren. Likewise Jesse Akubuine isn't local either but was picked up when he left Brentford having previously been with Peterborough.

Didn't know about Kilmarnock or rangers recently but knew connor Murray wasn't local, although does he not have relatives down this way? So it is something we benefit from as well as lose out.

4 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Didn't know about Kilmarnock or rangers recently but knew connor Murray wasn't local, although does he not have relatives down this way? So it is something we benefit from as well as lose out.

As far as I know Connor doesn't have local relatives but I wouldn't necessarily know. Certainly when he first came here he was living in club accommodation, not with family.

The biggest benefit we have in picking up young players is actually Carlisle United. Jordan Marshall is ex Carlisle, as was Jim Atkinson. The group of Owen Moxon, Jack Dickinson & Jack Brannan were all ex Carlisle, so were Robbie Miller and Cameron Copland from last year's 20's who both chose to move on although they were given contract offers. Danny Armstrong had been with Carlisle at one point too. Of the new u20's squad, Dan Harvey, Jack Winter, Joe Usher and Robbie Ivison are all ex Carlisle United. There's a few lads in the 17's and 15's are ex Carlisle too.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Connor has Auntie's down here and was staying with one of them for a while. Not sure if it was before or after he was in the house at Marchmount.

Fair enough, wasn't aware of it. Was probably before Marchhills as he was still there at the start of last season until he moved to training up the road and started staying at home. He used to travel in with Grant Anderson when he was here.

23 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

That's some goal Annan scored.

Good to see the changes the Manager has made has eradicated the mistakes of last season !

They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Good one though. Time will tell if there is any improvement, I think there will be a noticeable difference.

On 30/07/2014 at 19:41, qosphotos said:
2005/06 Milk Cup Squad

05milkcup.jpg

Back row left to right: N Torriani, E Lindsey, M Smith, N Higgins, L Walker, R Hyslop, I Cairnie, D Hanley, D Rae
Front row left to right: T Hanley (Coach), R Adamson, B McGauchie, P Leighfield, A Muirhead, N Muirhead (Coach), R Steele, J Nixon, M McGinley, D Carmichael, G Hyslop (Coach)
Missing from picture: G Mitchell and D Rice, also coaches F Smith and D McCann

From www.qosarchive.co.uk

I'm sure Lewis Walker and Ryan Adamson went to the USA to do a soccer scholarship. Think Lewis played in Australia for a bit. Rory Steele has went on to play professional Rugby. Not sure about the rest but can remember playing against Nick Torriani and he was outstanding, think he's a sports therapist now. 

Then we have the others who have been mentioned that have gone on to bigger teams and done really well. 

I'm sure Lewis Walker and Ryan Adamson went to the USA to do a soccer scholarship. Think Lewis played in Australia for a bit. Rory Steele has went on to play professional Rugby. Not sure about the rest but can remember playing against Nick Torriani and he was outstanding, think he's a sports therapist now. 
Then we have the others who have been mentioned that have gone on to bigger teams and done really well. 

Nick Torriani works in his family restaurant Bruno's. Went to school with him, was a decent player when younger but done next to nothing unfortunately. Adamson played and scored a few for Annan back in the day

5 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Nick Torriani works in his family restaurant Bruno's. Went to school with him, was a decent player when younger but done next to nothing unfortunately. Adamson played and scored a few for Annan back in the day

Any idea what D. Rae is up to these days?  Wasted talent.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Summer 05 per photo above so would actually have been before he turned 14. 

I dont think he officially left us when he first went to Crewe. Not sure what tbe rules were then but he wouldnt be allowed to join them at that age now.

Wasnt conscious he had been at Rangers though. Thought he had gone direct Crewe to Blackburn.

SD do Queens still send a team over for the Milk Cup? Sure it must be a great experience for the boys.

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

On the subject of players going on to other clubs, I make it that seven of the nine other championship teams have at least one ex-Queens player in their squad. Livingston and Brechin the only two who dont.

Oooh, a challenge!

Brechin City: None

Dumbarton: Craig Barr, Andy Dowie

Dundee United: Cammy Bell, Mark Durnan

Dunfermline Athletic: Nicky Clark, David Hopkirk, Michael Paton, Aaron Splaine (+ Allan Johnston & Sandy Clark)

Falkirk: Alex Harris, Mark Kerr, Lewis Kidd, Aaron Muirhead, Robbie Thomson

Inverness CT: John Baird (Ryan Esson was here for a pre-season once but didn't sign)

Livingston: Nobody officially but Neil Alexander played for us once in a friendly and Dale Carrick used to play for our Supporters Team!

Morton: Bob McHugh, Andy Murdoch, Gary Oliver

St Mirren: Dale Hilson, Ian McShane, Rocco Quinn, Gavin Reilly, Craig Samson, Josh Todd (+ James Fowler)

St Mirren are the new Falkirk!

48 minutes ago, Mr X said:

On the subject of players going on to other clubs, I make it that seven of the nine other championship teams have at least one ex-Queens player in their squad. Livingston and Brechin the only two who dont.

Whereas as we have at least one player on our books for every team in the division.

Brechin
Callum Tapping

Dumbarton
Alan Martin
Andy Stirling
Stephen Dobbie

Dundee Utd
John Rankin

Dunfermline
Shaun Rooney
Callum Fordyce
Andy Stirling