The Queen of the South thread

Looks like we missed out on another player.

McShane has signed for St Mirren.

It can,t be easy for Naysmith to sign players we just can't get anywhere near the wages the likes of St Mitten and Falkirk pay.

It can only be loan signing with the players club paying most of his wage 

It can,t be easy for Naysmith to sign players we just can't get anywhere near the wages the likes of St Mitten and Falkirk pay.

We never will be able to compete with these clubs unless as someone said on here a few weeks back a wealthy investor comes in. For the foreseeable future survival as a club and survival in this league is all we can realistic go for.

Where's it been said we were in for him, to miss out on?

McFadden is done and would be a complete waste of a wage for you guys.

Unfortunately for us we will probably end up signing him, with only a couple of weeks left to the league starts and doesn't look as if we're going to be signing anyone soon I feel he will be signed to (make up the number).
I know we haven't even played a competitive game yet but with the squad we have and the signings we've made I just can't see us doing any better than last season

1 minute ago, Stu1 said:

I know we haven't even played a competitive game yet but with the squad we have and the signings we've made I just can't see us doing any better than last season

I'd settle for us doing not too much worse.

It's where we're at, which I'm ok with.  It is a bit uninspiring though.

It's depressing. We are wasting Dobbie and it's upsetting.

Obviously I don't think any of us would ever want Dobbie to leave, (I would keep him playing for many years then give him managers job lol) but does anyone think that his wage is maybe holding us back from signing 2/3 half decent players that could equally be as good

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

It's depressing. We are wasting Dobbie and it's upsetting.

If it reflects what we can currently afford though, so be it.

I know Dobbie was talking of the unfinished business of promotion when he signed.  I know also that we were all aboard after the first six or seven games.  Another interpretation says however that Dobbie is not being wasted.  His genius kept us out of trouble last season and we might have to rely on him in a similar way this time.  

As I said, it's not inspiring, but it's not really a waste either.

Obviously I don't think any of us would ever want Dobbie to leave, (I would keep him playing for many years then give him managers job lol) but does anyone think that his wage is maybe holding us back from signing 2/3 half decent players that could equally be as good

The rumour was that his wages are funded from outwith the club, purely because it's him.

So no, I don't, because I don't think the funds would have been available for anyone else.

There isn't a nanosecond of Dobbie's time on our books that is a waste.  I had my reservations when he came back, mostly because I would have been heartbroken if it somehow hadn't worked out.  My concerns were of course unfounded and he was as good, if not better, than we all remember.

This season probably isn't going to be a classic, although we should always expect the unexpected when it comes to football.  However getting to watch Dobbie again is without doubt something to look forward to.

If you don't believe me, watch the Annan highlights that were posted a few pages back. 

14 minutes ago, Stu1 said:

I might be wrong I suspect amongst QOS fans it`s just you that thinks that.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The rumour was that his wages are funded from outwith the club, purely because it's him.

So no, I don't, because I don't think the funds would have been available for anyone else.

I don't either because he's worth it.

Someone who can contrive to score and create as many goals as he has, in a struggling team, is worth a Hell of a lot.  

As you say, he seems to be funded externally, but even leaving that aside, Dobbie is the thing that can lift us as he's better than those he opposes as well as his team mates.  No two or three other signings could begin to compensate for what we'd be missing without him. 

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

However getting to watch Dobbie again is without doubt something to look forward to.

This.

Last season when I was debating can I be bothered going today I always did as you never know what he's going to do and there isn't long left of him so every chance to see him play I will

I might be wrong I suspect amongst QOS fans it`s just you that thinks that.

So why would it just be me then??

Obviously as die hard doonhamer said it was reported it was funded out with the club, however if the club were paying a substantial amount to one player then surely his wage would cover the cost of 2 possibly 3 average players,, come on this is Scottish championship football and most players are probably not getting a lot more than the average person working a 40 hour week

3 minutes ago, Stu1 said:

So why would it just be me then??

Obviously as die hard doonhamer said it was reported it was funded out with the club, however if the club were paying a substantial amount to one player then surely his wage would cover the cost of 2 possibly 3 average players,, come on this is Scottish championship football and most players are probably not getting a lot more than the average person working a 40 hour week

You've answered your own question.

A player who is outstanding at this level, especially a front player, is worth more than a couple more average players.  We've got plenty of those already.

...but does anyone think that his wage is maybe holding us back from signing 2/3 half decent players that could equally be as good

I doubt it but lets go about it hypothetically anyway: would you trade one unbelievably outstanding player (the best striker in the division) for 2 half decent players? I certainly wouldn't.

The lack of signings is a bit depressing as is the reality that we aren't a club who's able to bring in lots of bodies. What I find more depressing though is the lack of quality coming up through our youth set-up.

I'll probably miss someone but:-

Gibson
Burns
McShane
Reilly
Holt

are the only 5 I can think of off the top of my head who've come through our youth ranks and went on to play for bigger clubs. It's not a great return in over 15 years. One every 5 years?

It's not a bash at the youngsters and I regularly got along to support them last season but something just isn't working somewhere. I appreciate there are bigger clubs around than us but we should surely have the pick of the bunch down here and the draw of actually playing first team football should be an incentive for the youngsters rather than signing for a bigger club and not getting a sniff of first team action.

Hamilton are clearly a club we want to follow in that respect. Even excusing the players they've brought through their youth set-up appears to be excellent. They were always at the top of the youth tables when I was younger and I can remember going up there midweek for the Scottish Cup replay game and the half-time entertainment was there 14's and 12's playing a game. The football from them was better than the shite we were watching that night. Something clearly works up there.

Again, not at those who runs our youth set-up just more an observation that something isn't really working.

(I didn't include Dan. I know he went through our system but he was technically brought in rather than promoted).

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I doubt it but lets go about it hypothetically anyway: would you trade one unbelievably outstanding player (the best striker in the division) for 2 half decent players? I certainly wouldn't.

The lack of signings is a bit depressing as is the reality that we aren't a club who's able to bring in lots of bodies. What I find more depressing though is the lack of quality coming up through our youth set-up.

I'll probably miss someone but:-

Gibson
Burns
McShane
Reilly
Holt

are the only 5 I can think of off the top of my head who've come through our youth ranks and went on to play for bigger clubs. It's not a great return in over 15 years. One every 5 years?

It's not a bash at the youngsters and I regularly got along to support them last season but something just isn't working somewhere. I appreciate there are bigger clubs around than us but we should surely have the pick of the bunch down here and the draw of actually playing first team football should be an incentive for the youngsters rather than signing for a bigger club and not getting a sniff of first team action.

Hamilton are clearly a club we want to follow in that respect. Even excusing the players they've brought through their youth set-up appears to be excellent. They were always at the top of the youth tables when I was younger and I can remember going up there midweek for the Scottish Cup replay game and the half-time entertainment was there 14's and 12's playing a game. The football from them was better than the shite we were watching that night. Something clearly works up there.

Again, not at those who runs our youth set-up just more an observation that something isn't really working.

(I didn't include Dan. I know he went through our system but he was technically brought in rather than promoted).

Having been down at Palmerston last season, I was very impressed with the setup in terms of the indoor facilities, lots of kids playing on a Saturday before the game etc and thought that if we had something of a similar nature around our ground (dome doesn't count), it would be a great thing.

It's surprising to see that Queens have so few decent youths coming through when they more or less have the pick of the young footballers in the area with no senior club of comparable size anywhere nearby.

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's surprising to see that Queens have so few decent youths coming through when they more or less have the pick of the young footballers in the area with no senior club of comparable size anywhere nearby.

Unfortunately our remote location doesn't stop a good number of promising youngsters from being picked by Celtic and Rangers.