The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

If McShane was such a big passenger it is surprising that we finished 4th twice in two ultra competitive league set ups.Not only that we passed the ball really well and were able to go to places like Tynecastle and Ibrox and actually try and win the game without every man deep in our own half defending for our lives for 90 mins.

Whatever the opinion on McShane is since his departure our midfield has been by far the weakest area of our team packed full of endeavour but little guile and ball retention.

The majority of the guile and ball retention during that spell was provided by Mark Kerr.

I don't think I could watch another season of McShane firing every corner into the first man.  That would cause frustration levels akin to Lee Robinson's kicking x1000.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The majority of the guile and ball retention during that spell was provided by Mark Kerr.

I don't think I could watch another season of McShane firing every corner into the first man.  That would cause frustration levels akin to Lee Robinson's kicking x1000.

Let it go,let it go,ha

24 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Isn't Tapping the McShane in there this season?Doubt we would bring in another centre mid on a high wage before a Striker and Defender is brought in

ETA:Striker and defender is a priority midfielder not as much 

Agree re priorities. McShane would improve us though in my view.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Agree re priorities. McShane would improve us though in my view.

This. McShane is the best central midfielder we've had since Tosh in my opinion (Ok Kerr did very well too and so did Desi Young). I rated him very highly and, if fit, I'd be delighted to have him back. But if we have budget for say a couple more players then central midfield isn't where it would be best used. We have three senior central midfielders already and two young apprentices. Same is true for Joe Thomson and for Dom Thomas (though clearly as he's now gone to Kilmarnock the latter is a non starter). I'd have been delighted to have any of them back but they aren't priority positions. The Manager said the same at the last SLO meeting.

We are clearly short a centre half and probably a striker before we worry about any other position.

I don't agree that Gavin Reilly would be a certain starter for us at the moment as suggested earlier. We have the best striker in the division already and Derek Lyle was I think 4th top scorer last season despite missing a couple of months. I accept his contribution is likely to reduce this season but I don't think that would make Reilly an automatic pick over him right now. I'd have happily had him back though. He would have been the ideal striker to share game time with Del and gradually take over the other spot up front. That ship has sailed though and he's away to St Mirren. We could do with another striker with a wee bit more experience than the three youngsters behind the old stagers at the moment.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

McShane is the best central midfielder we've had since Tosh in my opinion

It's hard to disagree with that. I didn't see that much of him (due to being down south) but he was great at taking the ball on the half-turn and driving moves forward with his head up, a rarity at this level. Fowler obviously brought in Tapping as a wildcard replacement and I think he (if fit) offers some of the same qualities but McShane has proven he can do it. The thought of him linking up with Dobbie is mouth-watering.

If he's available I'm surprised nobody has picked him up yet, I wonder what he's holding out for.

Edited by TeeMan

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Hi guys, just in case you're interested, Andy Dowie has been named our new club captain

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3108

Not surprised to hear that. Great servant for us though wasn`t at his best last season. Fully expect him to do well at Dumbarton.

This. McShane is the best central midfielder we've had since Tosh in my opinion (Ok Kerr did very well too and so did Desi Young). I rated him very highly and, if fit, I'd be delighted to have him back. But if we have budget for say a couple more players then central midfield isn't where it would be best used. We have three senior central midfielders already and two young apprentices. Same is true for Joe Thomson and for Dom Thomas (though clearly as he's now gone to Kilmarnock the latter is a non starter). I'd have been delighted to have any of them back but they aren't priority positions. The Manager said the same at the last SLO meeting.
We are clearly short a centre half and probably a striker before we worry about any other position.
I don't agree that Gavin Reilly would be a certain starter for us at the moment as suggested earlier. We have the best striker in the division already and Derek Lyle was I think 4th top scorer last season despite missing a couple of months. I accept his contribution is likely to reduce this season but I don't think that would make Reilly an automatic pick over him right now. I'd have happily had him back though. He would have been the ideal striker to share game time with Del and gradually take over the other spot up front. That ship has sailed though and he's away to St Mirren. We could do with another striker with a wee bit more experience than the three youngsters behind the old stagers at the moment.

I am pleased to see a number of sensible Ian McShane posts. Agree with the above.

For a player that came through our development process, presumably cost us nothing, became a vital part of our midfield in arguably our two best seasons for a very long time and then brought us in transfer income when he left...........that is a pretty decent resume.

I would like him to return but in some ways hope he doesn't as I am not sure that midfielders who try and play a neat and skilful passing game are properly appreciated at Palmerston. I say it again with McShane pulling the strings in midfield alongside some very good teammates we were capable of dominating possession for long spells and really playing very attractive football.