The Queen of the South thread

What's the chat about Thomas out on loan then? Where's that coming from.
I fully expect him to be out on loan but just curious as to the source.

I think it's just hopeful chat more than anything. Fans are getting a little restless at the lack of known activity in the transfer market

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I think it's just hopeful chat more than anything. Fans are getting a little restless at the lack of known activity in the transfer market

Understandable, was just I saw a couple of mentions of United & Falkirk a couple of posts up and wondered where that had come from.

This would not be Thomas' fault,  but I could not stand another season watching him, or any other winger who has the pace to get beyond full-backs, constantly stopping and turning back and losing the advantage of the attacking opportunity because they are playing on their 'wrong side'.  The Manager obviously favours this approach though as the players are acting under his direction.

Edited by Nithsdale Wanderer

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

In a choice between Rankin and Jacobs I personally  know which one I prefer to start, it's Jacobs. IMO Rankin tends to drift out and in games whereas Jacobs seems to stay involved more. Jacobs has slightly more pace for getting back to cover and he's better in tackles, although he can be a bit wasteful with distribution I agree. 

This. Rankin isnt as good defensively as Jacobs and isnt as good on the ball as Tapping. He, ironically, is possibly a better all round player than both, though - although that might change if Tapping stays fit and hits form.

I've nothing against Rankin, hes a decent player but I'd start Jacobs and Tapping ahead of him.

19 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

^^^  My thoughts exactly. I don't think anyone who saw him playing for us last season can say he wasn't a reasonable success playing on the "wrong" wing.

Started well then fizzled out and became very frustrating getting into good positions only to stop and turn back.   His shooting deteriorated and never seemed to want to cross it.  Del was often in a good position for  a cross but must have wondered why bother after a while.  On the occasion he did cross it, Lyle scored against Morton but the move was never repeated,

As I said, not his fault but the Managers.

1 minute ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Started well then fizzled out and became very frustrating getting into good positions only to stop and turn back.   His shooting deteriorated and never seemed to want to cross it.  Del was often in a good position for  a cross but must have wondered why bother after a while.  On the occasion he did cross it, Lyle scored against Morton but the move was never repeated,

As I said, not his fault but the Managers.

Like pretty much every winger he came in and out of form though he started like a train and it was unreasonable to expect that sort of form consistently. If he played like that every week he'd have been playing for Motherwell.

Naysmith is neither the first nor last manager to play wide players who cut in rather than hit the byline though and the implication that he played Dom Thomas out of position is nonsense. He's a right winger. It's where he played for Motherwell and where he made his debut for Scotland u21's whilst with us too. Of course like most other wingers he sometimes gets switched to the other wing from time to time to varying effect. He did occasionally turn up on the left for us and indeed made a goal for Dobbie at Falkirk from the left side.

This 'playing wingers on the wrong wing' argument always makes me laugh. Especially with regards to Dan. I don't think he's particularly worse when he plays on the left rather than the right as his distribution of the ball from wide is generally poor regardless of what side he is on. Thomas scored a couple of goals by cutting in yet folk were still wanting him on the left. We've hardly any height in the box for crosses anyway so I preferred the threat of the wingers cutting in and shooting rather than wasting a ball into the box.

On the Rankin discussion, I've no problem with him but he has a tendency to go missing for large parts of the game which is frustrating as he's clearly capable of making things happen for us. As Mr X said above I'd rather have Tapping and Jacobs in the middle though as Tapping has previously shown he's capable of playing some clever forward passes. I really hope he stays fit this term as he could be a cracking player for us.

Like pretty much every winger he came in and out of form though he started like a train and it was unreasonable to expect that sort of form consistently. If he played like that every week he'd have been playing for Motherwell.
Naysmith is neither the first nor last manager to play wide players who cut in rather than hit the byline though and the implication that he played Dom Thomas out of position is nonsense. He's a right winger. It's where he played for Motherwell and where he made his debut for Scotland u21's whilst with us too. Of course like most other wingers he sometimes gets switched to the other wing from time to time to varying effect. He did occasionally turn up on the left for us and indeed made a goal for Dobbie at Falkirk from the left side.

It is all pretty academic now as it looks very unlikely that Thomas will return to us. He was undoubtedly a good player for us and I find it very surprising that he has failed to make a bigger impact at Motherwell at a time when they have really struggled.

I may be in the minority but I find it very difficult to think of Thomas as a right winger when he can barely touch the ball with his right foot. Nithsdale Wanderer makes exactly the same observation as I did when he was here - his undoubted skill and trickery was heavily diluted because he constantly had to stop when in a really dangerous position to cut on to his strong left foot rather than keep pressing forward and committing that final defender.

You are probably correct Thomas thinks he is better suited to playing on right but with his ability he should really have no difficulty being an integral part of a weak Motherwell squad. I think if he was to favour a left midfield role and concentrated on delivering from his natural side he would be a much more potent force. Most teams are crying out for good left pegs to balance the shape.

What made it worse for me is that Danny as genuine right sider was effectively stuck out wide left where he was largely anonymous.

It is "water under bridge" but if I was Dom Thomas I would be asking myself " with natural ability in spades and talent to burn" why are a bottom 6 Prem team contemplating loaning me out again to another Champ team?

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In no way am I saying this to stir up pointless tit for tat arguements, or because I am bored with close season, but I fully expect us to give yous an absolute length x 4 this season, redeeming 12 points, and I can see no conceivable scenario where this post cpuld be used against me at a later date.

As you were bitches.

You spelt "could" wrong.

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In no way am I saying this to stir up pointless tit for tat arguements, or because I am bored with close season, but I fully expect us to give yous an absolute length x 4 this season, redeeming 12 points, and I can see no conceivable scenario where this post cpuld be used against me at a later date.

As you were bitches.

Yep you have "bitched" us in 2 out of the last 12 league games by my reckoning.

As you were.

17 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

You are probably correct Thomas thinks he is better suited to playing on right but with his ability he should really have no difficulty being an integral part of a weak Motherwell squad. I think if he was to favour a left midfield role and concentrated on delivering from his natural side he would be a much more potent force. Most teams are crying out for good left pegs to balance the shape.

Broadly agree but ultimately he was up against Marvin Johnson for the left sided role and Chris Cadden and Lionel Ainsworth for the right side. With those 3 ahead of him it's difficult to imagine Thomas being an integral part of the side. He could certainly have made more of the opportunities he was handed though (and he was given plenty).

Since he's arrived Elliot Frear has shown more consistency in 6 months at the club than Thomas has in 3 years while for our u20s Jake Hastie has offered more in terms of goals from the same area of the park Thomas plays in.

46 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We've hardly any height in the box for crosses anyway so I preferred the threat of the wingers cutting in and shooting rather than wasting a ball into the box.

The number of times he cut in and shot and completely wasted the opportunity far outweighs the few goals he scored.

I think you are doing Lyle a dis-service.   He is not the tallest but has great awareness and timing and a pretty decent record from scoring from crosses.

Ibrox play-off, superb.   Double home to Airdrie last season -  both from right-footed Anderson crosses and the play-off (H) to Rangers too.

Again, this is not a criticism of Thomas but how he was deployed.  He has pace and great feet and can go past defenders with ease and would therefore be a much greater threat and asset on the right, as would any other right-footed winger.  It's how I like to see the game played anyway.

How many times did anyone see the great Jimmy Robertson play on the right ?

Broadly agree but ultimately he was up against Marvin Johnson for the left sided role and Chris Cadden and Lionel Ainsworth for the right side. With those 3 ahead of him it's difficult to imagine Thomas being an integral part of the side. He could certainly have made more of the opportunities he was handed though (and he was given plenty).
Since he's arrived Elliot Frear has shown more consistency in 6 months at the club than Thomas has in 3 years while for our u20s Jake Hastie has offered more in terms of goals from the same area of the park Thomas plays in.

Good feedback and perhaps suggests that young Thomas needs a permanent change of scene and a fresh start.