The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Haha, I wasn't sure what to make of what skyline said

Not going to claim we were terrific when we just lost 3-2 at Cowdenbeath but we have a decent enough side. We were winning comfortably enough before the likes of Dobbie, Tapping, Stirling and Martin went off. Dont think my post was particularly negative. Certainly wasnt meant to be.

I'm getting slightly concerned we've not signed more players yet . Yes there's still plenty time but any new signings need time to gel with their new team mates

If the rumours are true that the Chairman is to bring back a former employee ( that's if she actually left ) then he's going to face a backlash from the fans IMO

Enjoy your holiday Jim , could be interesting when you come back

If the rumours are true that the Chairman is to bring back a former employee ( that's if she actually left ) then he's going to face a backlash from the fans IMO

Enjoy your holiday Jim , could be interesting when you come back

Why would the fans care? :lol:

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not going to claim we were terrific when we just lost 3-2 at Cowdenbeath but we have a decent enough side. We were winning comfortably enough before the likes of Dobbie, Tapping, Stirling and Martin went off. Dont think my post was particularly negative. Certainly wasnt meant to be.

The report on the 2;trialists does not sound good.They might be off the pace of the game but they should still stand out especially someone like McFadden .

No was a bit of both pal. I think it's fair enough, we all know we lack depth at the minute. Was hoping Brian McLean would impress, can't say I'm bothered about McFadden as the glory years are past for him and injuries have taken there toll.

Exactly this.

If the chairman trusts someone to do a job for the club on the business side then who are the fans to argue?

Some elements of our support really love getting hysterical over f**k all.

Quick , let's organise another concert or a Hall of Fame Ball :(

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So basIcally  without our talisman we're fecked.

If we can deliver good performances when season starts nobody will be remotely interested in the Cowden result. The key word is IF - meaningless friendly or not that was a dreadful collapse. If fringe players can't give a reasonable account of themselves when team is 2-0 up against bottom Div 2 team it is hard to imagine an easier situation to impress.

If we can deliver good performances when season starts nobody will be remotely interested in the Cowden result. The key word is IF - meaningless friendly or not that was a dreadful collapse. If fringe players can't give a reasonable account of themselves when team is 2-0 up against bottom Div 2 team it is hard to imagine an easier situation to impress.

They were bottom of division last year. That looked a totally different side yesterday majority trialists. Regardless still for that to happen is worrying as you say, 2-0 up I was thinking how many...

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Way to over-react.

The team that played most of the second half contained 4 or perhaps 5 of our best eleven at the moment.

Have to hope Naysmith has some loan signing lined up

Take Dobbie out of the team we suddenly become a very poor team.

As i have said i was hoping McLean and McFadden could be the answer but it looks like there best days are long gone.

I think it's incredible some folk are putting the defeat down to Dobbie not being on the pitch.

Leighfield

Mercer
McLean
Fordyce
Marshall

Bell
Rankin
Akubuine
Carmichael

Lyle
Dobbie

Even if Dobbie had stayed on the pitch I reckon the outcome would have been the same - look at the midfield! I doubt Dobbie could do anything about that.

As has been already said, the worry about yesterday's result is our lack of depth. Naysmith's next 3 signings are going to be crucial in deciding what kind of season we'll have.

I think it's incredible some folk are putting the defeat down to Dobbie not being on the pitch.

Leighfield

Mercer
McLean
Fordyce
Marshall

Bell
Rankin
Akubuine
Carmichael

Lyle
Dobbie

Even if Dobbie had stayed on the pitch I reckon the outcome would have been the same - look at the midfield! I doubt Dobbie could do anything about that.

As has been already said, the worry about yesterday's result is our lack of depth. Naysmith's next 3 signings are going to be crucial in deciding what kind of season we'll have.

Owen bell playing right wing also when he's a centre mid

Not going to argue about McFadden's best days being behind him but for a bit of perspective it's probably worth mentioning that (due to him being our assistant manager) he only played 100 mins of football last season and hasn't actually started a game since 20th February 2016. I think it's understandable if he's a bit short of match sharpness right now.

The question I'd be asking is whether or not he looks like he could offer something with a pre-season and games behind him.

Just to look at it from a different perspective, why not try your youngsters in a game where the result doesn't matter. With the way leagues are now and the prize money depending on finishing position there is little or no chance to do so during the season. This way he gets a chance to see if they can step up and who knows discover a gem without any consequences (except perhaps  to their confidence if they read some of the posters on here). There is little real point in playing full games with players you know are likely to start in a competitive game as you don't really learn anything. Friendlies are for experimenting.The manager will I hope know that they are unlikely to start many if any games but the three friendlies are chance to see if they are able to provide anything at all. Who knows if they don't he may be able use it as leverage with the board to get an extra player.

Leighfield

Mercer
McLean
Fordyce
Marshall

Bell
Rankin
Akubuine
Carmichael

Lyle
Dobbie

Is 3 signings enough though?