The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, Tonsilitis said:

Morton's crowds have dwindled over the last ten years but in fact our own home support grew last year a few hundred.  Overall average crowds were about the same as the year before but that year had Rangers in the league.   We are hoping our own (as opposed to visiting) support might improve again this coming season if the team can challenge for top four again.  Nowadays, however, gate receipts whilst still important are a much smaller component of a club's income than they once were.   I would guess in Queens case, well less than half of turnover.

Maybe I'm starting to show my age but I remember us playing top of the table games in the championship to crowds of 4000. Sadly we were nowhere near that last season when top. In the same way it was disappointing to see your crowds when you were 'challenging.'

But as you said we are moving away from the days of crowds alone dictating budgets. And that is a good thing for us right now!

Very enjoyable game today.

Burns was a stand-out and could certainly still do a job for us in midfield and probably McKenna too as he seems able to do what we lack as he is able to drive forward and then pick a pass - I guess this is Rankin's role but he seems not nearly as effective.    McKenna still retains his 'steel' too and will do well in the Juniors.

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

It can't be easy to stay full time with our home attendence.Wr only have a hardcore of 1200 home fans.If not for the Arena then we would struggle to stay full time.We should really just be happy to stay in the Championship with the budget we have..Naysmith has really just came out and been honest rather than string us all along saying that he was close to getting the 3 players he wants in

Queens are at a disadvantage before a ball is kicked, when others are charging more than Queens i,e Dumbarton part time £20  then we will struggle.

always have accused the board of having no ambition but in reality we will never be anything other than a championship team.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

It can't be easy to stay full time with our home attendence.Wr only have a hardcore of 1200 home fans.If not for the Arena then we would struggle to stay full time.We should really just be happy to stay in the Championship with the budget we have

And some of the 1200 will be kids paying an average of £1 a game.

Realistically, we should just be happy to be in the Championship. And this is one of the reasons why the vast majority of locals don't go. People are not going to pay money just to watch a match when they can see better quality on tv. The match has to mean something. And Queens games mean absolutely nothing when there is zero chance of being promoted. Which means the whole thing becomes self-fulfilling - people don't go because we can't go up. And we can't go up because people don't go.

2 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Maybe I'm starting to show my age but I remember us playing top of the table games in the championship to crowds of 4000. Sadly we were nowhere near that last season when top. In the same way it was disappointing to see your crowds when you were 'challenging.'

But as you said we are moving away from the days of crowds alone dictating budgets. And that is a good thing for us right now!

Some of the big crowds we had for games against Morton the day we were crowned seaside league champions and then say against ICT when we went top of this league were because that level of "success" was an entirely new thing to the vast majority of our fans. Being an established championship side has become our norm and most of us don`t see us being able to go up to the next level.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I actually quite like the away jersey but then I'm fond of football tops that aren't the norm. I've said for years away tops shouldn't be a fashion statement, they should be quirky as they are there to serve a purpose. I really liked the yellow and pink monstrosity Hearts had a while back and I like the pink Scotland one. If all away tops were pink it would probably avoid strip clashes.

I highly doubt clubs will share my view as they will of course want to sell the things!

On another note, I had a read of yesterday's programme. Lyle stating this will likely be his last season before calling it a day so that should put to bed the rumours of him packing it in beforehand. Hopefully he reaches 2nd spot on the goalscorers list before he retires. I also read (more than once) about the "Monday Club". I assume Del enjoys a bevvy on Sundays? :lol:

10 hours ago, Broony88 said:

The away top looks much better with the sponsor and the badge. Still one of our poorer strips over past decade or so. Home top is a minor downgrade on last year, not a huge fan of the collar.  

The collar is indeed horrible.