The Queen of the South thread

44 minutes ago, football maniac said:

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3622 Pretty grim reading as far as I'm concerned. Budget constraints is a big theme of this article. Will cherish the day we show ambition. Surely with Dobbie in the side this will be our best chance ever to build a good squad! Hes a unique player who we should make the most of and give him the quality around him he deserves.

If there is a fault in the article it`s maybe too honest. 

I`m fine with what he says. It`s pragmatic and he wants to work within our budget and make appropriate use of loan players.

The budget might of course have been better if we hadn`t screwed up against Albion Rovers and lost the guaranteed pay day of a televised cup-tie against Celtic.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

It is sad that the article seems to confirm that we have a budget in the bottom half of the league. But that is our level if crowds are anything to go by.

A combination of Dobbie magic, one or two quality signings and a little bit of luck on the injury front could still see is do well IMO. It would also be nice if one or two of the youngsters really make an impact!

Are budgets really that important when compared to the other teams? Obviously Dundee United and ICT will have a bit more money than the rest. Falkirk are such a huge club their budget will be miles ahead of anyone else. I would expect the other full time clubs are similar with some of the better supported ones having slightly more money to spend.

Guest Flash

Struggling to understand the point of that article on the OS. If it was intended to manage expectations, I don't think regular fans need that. And it will do nothing to inspire occasional fans to attend. Could even have the opposite effect.

Appreciate his honesty, but don't think it achieves anything. Just looks like somebody trying to get their excuses in early.

On 23/06/2017 at 22:46, NM_1919 said:

If we got rid of the players that we did at end of season for players that have came in and we've used most our budget, then Christ we're in bother!!

Like supersouth it's not what Naysmith was saying the other night. Fingers crossed he's just waiting for right players becoming available. Proper boring pre season 

Naysmith always says he is honest with his players.He has now been honest with the fans saying that players with really only sign with Queens if they can,t get a better offer elsewhere..

Not a very upbeat interview 

Our squad right now is nowhere bear good enough to compete in the Championship.

I

Naysmith always says he is honest with his players.He has now been honest with the fans saying that players with really only sign with Queens if they can,t get a better offer elsewhere..
Not a very upbeat interview 
Our squad right now is nowhere bear good enough to compete in the Championship.

I

I'd say the last paragraph is harsh.

Martin

Rooney
Brownlie
Fordyce
Marshall

Carmichael
Rankin
Tapping/Jacobs
Stirling

Lyle
Dobbie

That's a starting 11 that's more than capable of competing in this division. A midtable starting 11 I'd say. My issue is the injury risks. Tapping, Carmichael and Fordyce are probably near the top of the injury risk list. Then you have Lyle, Dobbie and Rankin who are that wee bit older and probably won't last as long in games.

As I said before, if we could guarantee an injury free season then the addition of 3 more players wouldn't worry me but that's living in a dream bubble. You just have to hope the BOD have a wee bit put back in case of such an event.

I'm also in the disheartened corner after the interview. But for pretty much the same reasons I was after the interview with the assistant manager so there's no point in me bringing it up again.

Have heard that Queens have not enough money to sign More quality players, so they will have to be on loan, don't know how true, but have heard they are are after Thomas and Thomson again on loan.

Loan players also cost money.

Thomson is on a decent wedge at Celtic, I know we were paying a fairly handsome contribution towards that for his services. I'd imagine Queens would be paying at least the same if not more.

Naysmith just comes across as a thoroughly negative guy.

Aye seems that way. Not going to help if we start off poorly i would think. Of the 3 signings still to come in i really hope one of them is Joe Thomson. Him and jacobs in the middle would be a good combination. Would relegate Rankin to the bench.

Aye seems that way. Not going to help if we start off poorly i would think. Of the 3 signings still to come in i really hope one of them is Joe Thomson. Him and jacobs in the middle would be a good combination. Would relegate Rankin to the bench.

I wouldn't hold your breath tbh. Rankin will likely start every possible game next season.

What was the official figure of today's crowd? The main stand looked busy. I'm guessing a few of The Rangers players pulled out late on? Were the club expecting a big turn out from The Rangers fans? I thought there was going to be a big crowd considering we gave them the whole stand. We could have just given them the usual away support allocation.

It can't be easy to stay full time with our home attendence.Wr only have a hardcore of 1200 home fans.If not for the Arena then we would struggle to stay full time.We should really just be happy to stay in the Championship with the budget we have..Naysmith has really just came out and been honest rather than string us all along saying that he was close to getting the 3 players he wants in

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

It can't be easy to stay full time with our home attendence.Wr only have a hardcore of 1200 home fans.If not for the Arena then we would struggle to stay full time.We should really just be happy to stay in the Championship with the budget we have..Naysmith has really just came out and been honest rather than string us all along saying that he was close to getting the 3 players he wants in

Like most, I've not been especially impressed by Naysmith so far.

I agree with you here though.  I'd rather be trusted with the truth.  I'm sure we can handle it.

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Short term you're spot on but we do have Dobbie. If he stays fit and with a bit of luck we can maybe aim for playoffs.

But medium/long term there is no reason why we can't aim higher. Hamilton have shown what can be achieved if you are run well even with lower attendances. And we surely have the potential to generate bigger crowds than they do. I'm not sure why our crowds have dwindled so much. Is it just stagnation? The Rangers vote? Interestingly the same thing seems to have happened with Morton. Like us they used to be able to generate very big crowds on occasion and when doing well.

58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath tbh. Rankin will likely start every possible game next season.

What was the official figure of today's crowd? The main stand looked busy. I'm guessing a few of The Rangers players pulled out late on? Were the club expecting a big turn out from The Rangers fans? I thought there was going to be a big crowd considering we gave them the whole stand. We could have just given them the usual away support allocation.

Who is Damien Fern the QoS no 19 today don't recognise the name.

Lyle got a good testimonial match nice to see so many ex Queens players/managers return to palmerston today.

8 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Short term you're spot on but we do have Dobbie. If he stays fit and with a bit of luck we can maybe aim for playoffs.

But medium/long term there is no reason why we can't aim higher. Hamilton have shown what can be achieved if you are run well even with lower attendances. And we surely have the potential to generate bigger crowds than they do. I'm not sure why our crowds have dwindled so much. Is it just stagnation? The Rangers vote? Interestingly the same thing seems to have happened with Morton. Like us they used to be able to generate very big crowds on occasion and when doing well.

Morton's crowds have dwindled over the last ten years but in fact our own home support grew last year a few hundred.  Overall average crowds were about the same as the year before but that year had Rangers in the league.   We are hoping our own (as opposed to visiting) support might improve again this coming season if the team can challenge for top four again.  Nowadays, however, gate receipts whilst still important are a much smaller component of a club's income than they once were.   I would guess in Queens case, well less than half of turnover.

14 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Who is Damien Fern the QoS no 19 today don't recognise the name.

Lyle got a good testimonial match nice to see so many ex Queens players/managers return to palmerston today.

Think the number of ex Queens players and management was testimony to the regard his team mates and managers have for him. McIntyre, Naysmith and Johnston were there and Fowler and Skelton sent messages for the programme. 

Damien Fearn is a friend of Del's apparently who bid for the no 19 shirt in an auction run at one of Del's pubs I think.