The Queen of the South thread

17 hours ago, Flash said:

I heart Naysmith. :wub:

Gary BAEsmith 4 lyf.

59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's absolutely no doubt though that all his highlight reel stuff at first team level came in 2 or 3 games against Rangers for whatever reason, none of which he started.

Could it be largely down to a bombscare Rangers defence playing with a very high line which near enough nobody else does at this level, coupled with 2/3 games being over when he came on? He had some opportunities under Fowler but didn't take them IMO. It's one thing to play well when the team are already dead and buried against Rangers but a real sign is doing it in meaningful games against Dumbarton or Livingston. He is largely in the same situation as Patrick Slattery was in that he wasn't ever going to be a regular for Queens but definitely has a good chance of starting at the bottom and working your way up if his attitude is right. Chapman leaving Annan is probably good news for Queens if they are more locally based for loan moves.

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

It seems the way to our supporters hearts is to not play very often for us.  There is a reason that Aidan Smith and Connor Murray have seen limited playing time, yet they have been built up to legendary status among some.  Then you have Lyndon Dykes who has played far more, and contributed far more to the first team who is roundly criticised.

Is it just because a player is seen as being favoured by a manager that the Queen's fans take a disliking to for whatever reason or a factor being seen as an outsider to the more local players (By that I mean outwith D&G/Carlisle, not simply foreign). If Dykes was born in Dumfries and grew up with a lot of Queens fans he wouldn't be given as much stick as more people would want him to do well because they know him personally. It's a bit unfair but it's human nature I suppose.

A classic example is Ian McShane, who got an undeservedly hard time despite the fact he was the main creative force in central midfield and came back from a very serious hip injury but because he was seen as the pet project of McIntyre that he got pelters when he didn't play well whereas Reilly/Danny/Holt could probably give a child a Stone Cold Stunner and get applauded for it. Once people get in their heads that they don't rate you it is hard for them to shake it unless you play really, really well. 

8 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Could it be largely down to a bombscare Rangers defence playing with a very high line which near enough nobody else does at this level, coupled with 2/3 games being over when he came on? He had some opportunities under Fowler but didn't take them IMO. It's one thing to play well when the team are already dead and buried against Rangers but a real sign is doing it in meaningful games against Dumbarton or Livingston. He is largely in the same situation as Patrick Slattery was in that he wasn't ever going to be a regular for Queens but definitely has a good chance of starting at the bottom and working your way up if his attitude is right. Chapman leaving Annan is probably good news for Queens if they are more locally based for loan moves.

A classic example is Ian McShane, who got an undeservedly hard time despite the fact he was the main creative force in central midfield and came back from a very serious hip injury but because he was seen as the pet project of McIntyre that he got pelters when he didn't play well whereas Reilly/Danny/Holt could probably give a child a Stone Cold Stunner and get applauded for it. Once people get in their heads that they don't rate you it is hard for them to shake it unless you play really, really well. 

To be fair, Smith's biggest highlight was grabbing a very late equaliser at Ibrox about three minutes into his League debut. The game clearly wasn't "over". His other goal came in a 5-1 loss which was completely dead by the time he came on and caught them out racing on to a ball in behind a defence almost up at halfway. He did do well in the 1-0 defeat at Palmerston NW refers to too albeit without anything coming of it but my point was more that you can't look back at doing well against Rangers three times (in three short sub appearances late in a game) and ignore all the times nothing came off for him. We're not going to play Rangers regularly again any time soon most likely! He's young, playing regularly for Annan has done him the world of good, and will continue to do so this coming season probably. Much more so than sitting on our bench and continuing to get a few minutes here and there would do.

And the abuse Ian McShane got when he first came into the team under McIntyre was absolutely ridiculous. He only really started to get proper credit for the job he did when he had left and we missed him. Hopefully Tapping can stay fit and fill that role this season.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Gary BAEsmith 4 lyf.

Is it just because a player is seen as being favoured by a manager that the Queen's fans take a disliking to for whatever reason or a factor being seen as an outsider to the more local players (By that I mean outwith D&G/Carlisle, not simply foreign). If Dykes was born in Dumfries and grew up with a lot of Queens fans he wouldn't be given as much stick as more people would want him to do well because they know him personally. It's a bit unfair but it's human nature I suppose.

Lyndon was born in Dumfries and stayed with his uncle for a while. So the abuse he gets is for his really poor performances. 

33 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Lyndon was born in Dumfries

He was born in Australia. As was his older sister who won Gold medals in gymnastics for Australia at the Commonwealth Games. His parents are local but emigrated before starting a family.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was born in Australia. As was his older sister who won Gold medals in gymnastics for Australia at the Commonwealth Games. His parents are local but emigrated before starting a family.

My mistake. I thought they started the family before they moved. I'm just speculating but I think if Lyndon has a bad season then he'll move back over to stay with his mum and play football over there. Hopefully wrong as I was/still expecting big things from him. 

My mistake. I thought they started the family before they moved. I'm just speculating but I think if Lyndon has a bad season then he'll move back over to stay with his mum and play football over there. Hopefully wrong as I was/still expecting big things from him. 

We've already taken McGuffie and Brotherston. No more rejects please! [emoji12]

On 22/06/2017 at 07:57, palmy_cammy said:

It seems the way to our supporters hearts is to not play very often for us.  There is a reason that Aidan Smith and Connor Murray have seen limited playing time, yet they have been built up to legendary status among some.  Then you have Lyndon Dykes who has played far more, and contributed far more to the first team who is roundly criticised.

I think your exaggerating the legendary status a bit  just because  some fans think that Smith, etc, could do a job for us. I'm not one of Dykes' greatest fans but his greater game time is probably based more on tactics than ability alone. He's adds a bit of height to the attack which the likes of  Smith and Murray don't. Fergusson and Lyle are probably the only others offering that advantage.

If you base ability on the amount of game time a player gets then the likes of Jake Pickard must be considered a better player than others he was picked over at the time. (He clearly wasn't.)

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It wouldn't be an SPFL fixture list if it wasn't sending us to Dundee midweek. The biggest surprise about that is only that they gave us a year off from it last season!

Could of been worse, I suppose, could have been ICT

Is it just my imagination or are the home/away fixtures split into twos far more than previous years?

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Could of been worse, I suppose, could have been ICT

Is it just my imagination or are the home/away fixtures split into twos far more than previous years?

Not sure they are more in twos than usual. They do appear more imbalanced than usual though. We have 8 of our first 13 away. And a couple of runs of 5 homes in 7 games later in the season, one between late November and early Jan and one across late Feb / early March.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure they are in more in twos than usual. They do appear more imbalanced than usual though. We have 8 of our first 13 away. And a couple of runs of 5 homes in 7 games later in the season, one between late November and early Jan and one across late Feb / early March.

Its the same number of twos as last season, so looks like you're right. I think its those three groups of away games at the beginning that make it look more than usual. Its pretty poor that we only have five home games between the beginning of August and the end of November.

Edited by Mr X