The Queen of the South thread

7 hours ago, Besty said:

And the difference is ?

FYI trying to put the ball on someone's head from 60 metres within a couple of square yds is a damn site harder than playing a shorter ball to someone who can move and Is Not surrounded by 14 to 16 players .

Practice yourself and give It A go, maybe upload a video.

I rest my case 

Metres /yards, stick to one or the other. 

As you say, playing a ball over such a long distance to such a small target is damn hard yet they persist in trying it game after game without much success. You'd think someone would notice that and do something about it.

Never mind rest your case you should pack a case and take a break.

17 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Metres /yards, stick to one or the other. 

As you say, playing a ball over such a long distance to such a small target is damn hard yet they persist in trying it game after game without much success. You'd think someone would notice that and do something about it.

Never mind rest your case you should pack a case and take a break.

Why's that then? you've agreed with all I've said

30 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Dear god, you had to edit that?

So, you're saying players dont run and jump for high balls?

Not 25yds /metres , which Is where you suggested the ball could be put.

You can't really play A ball several yards/mtrs away from A target man of which we have one. When's there's an Abundance of players 

Edited by Besty

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's 100% connected to him in some form.

I can promise you Alan Martin is an astronomical upgrade on Robinson. Think of the amount of shite Worsty talks, that's how much better Martin is than Robinson.

Good luck next season Alan 

3 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Now! This is one thing I can agree with you on.

3 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Now! This is one thing I can agree with you on.

Hi Willie, welcome on board

Just checked I've about 6 plates spinning now , that's a record for me 

Edited by Besty

36 minutes ago, Besty said:

Not 25yds /metres , which Is where you suggested the ball could be put.

I said roughly.

Unless the player is standing right on the line and the ball is kicked right to the centre circle most players cover the distance while the ball is in the air. Lets be generous and say the target area is about 15 metres - thats almost twice the size of the centre circle. Any self respecting goal keeper should be able to hit an area that size more often than not.

If you're aiming a goal kick at the place the player is standing at the time then you're doing it wrong. No player wants to try and win a header from a standing jump.

ETA - twice the size of the centre circle was badly worded - I meant twice the radius, so effectively the size of the centre circle.

Edited by Mr X

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I said roughly.

Unless the player is standing right on the line and the ball is kicked right to the centre circle most players cover the distance while the ball is in the air. Lets be generous and say the target area is about 15 metres - thats almost twice the size of the centre circle. Any self respecting goal keeper should be able to hit an area that size more often than not.

If you're aiming a goal kick at the place the player is standing at the time then you're doing it wrong. No player wants to try and win a header from a standing jump.

So is the player expected to make his way through a crowd scene, come on think It  through 

You'de expect the player to take A Stride and not run metres   which gets you back to A Small target area.

Edited by Besty

20 minutes ago, Besty said:

So is the player expected to make his way through a crowd scene, come on think It  through 

You'de expect the player to take A Stride and not run metres   which gets you back to A Small target area.

I dont need to think it through Im simply going by what Ive seen watching games over the years. Even in the penalty box, which is far more crowded than the wide area at a goal kick players run several metres to get onto a ball played from closer to them and at more pace, albeit some of that distance is covered just before the ball is kicked.

I've watched many players, forwards and defenders run several metres while the ball is in the air to win a header. Im not even sure the last time I saw a player simply jump for a high ball after taking "A stride".

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I dont need to think it through Im simply going by what Ive seen watching games over the years. Even in the penalty box, which is far more crowded than the wide area at a goal kick players run several metres to get onto a ball played from closer to them and at more pace, albeit some of that distance is covered just before the ball is kicked.

I've watched many players, forwards and defenders run several metres while the ball is in the air to win a header. Im not even sure the last time I saw a player simply jump for a high ball after taking "A stride".

Really?

Anderson has come in for a bit of stick in a few posts but early in the season he, and other wide men were getting the ball at feet and taking men on and getting crosses in reasonably successfully. He then became a wide target man which resulted in him picking up several niggly injuries which undoubtedly led to his loss of form and ultimate departure.

Agreed. Winding right back to the pre-season game at Annan he looked a right good find as an attacking midfielder with an eye for goal and the final pass. I think we just didn't get the best out of him.