The Queen of the South thread

27 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Using Flash's squad comparison it's hard to envisage us doing much more than last season.  The only position that stands out as being improved upon is goalkeeper.

Whilst it was probably needed, making wholesale changes to the defence is a bit of a gamble as they will take time to gel as a unit.  It is looking like being a very young defence as well so I would expect our habit of making mistakes at the back to continue.

The midfield is looking pretty mediocre to me.  Rankin and Jacobs are solid and unspectacular, and Tapping is a complete unknown.  If we could get Joe Thomson back I would be far happier.

Lyle and Dobbie remain our only real quality in the squad, but both will be a year older.  I still expect both to provide a similar goal return to last season, but as that showed we can't rely on just them.

As it stands I wouldn't be confident predicting anything above 8th.

What about Stirling? I would say he is creative and an improvement on Anderson. Hopefully, a fit Carmichael will be an improvement too. If he can get back to previous form that would make a huge difference from last season.

Agree on the midfield, though. We're really going to be relying on the front players to provide the creativity and goals.

With anywhere between 2 and 6 players still to come in we could end up with a pretty decent side, though

Basing it on a 4-4-2 our likely line-up is probably this:-

Martin

Marshall
Fordyce
Brownlie
Rooney

Stirling
Rankin
Tapping/Jacobs
Carmichael

Dobbie
Lyle

SUBS

Fergusson
Bell
Dykes
Mercer
Murray
Leighfield GK
Robinson GK

I have to say I've taken more negatives from that article than positives. The three main things are firstly, him stating Naysmith wanted someone younger in defence. I'm all for youth but if he isn't bringing in an experienced CB for that backline then I'll be really concerned.

Secondly him twice (IMO) having a pop at our wage budget. It feels like excuses at the ready. I also think it's something that doesn't require mentioning as it comes across as a bit disrespectful to the club. Just say "we're waiting for the right player at the right price". I'm sure the last manager who battered on about our budget was Gus!

Thirdly, them only bringing in 2/3 more players. Does that include loans? If it does then we won't be near the top half playoffs, we'll be trying to avoid the bottom half. I see 3 injury risks in that side and if they do pick up another injury then we'd be really struggling. You have to imagine that at some point during the season we'll have injuries and suspensions anyway. Our bench has potential IMO, if they are nurtured throughout the season. There isn't one (outfield) player there that I'd be currently happy starting every week though.

An experienced CB would be my priority. Another wide player and CM as well and another striker as Lyle may well have less and less 90 minute games in him this season.

I'd love Thomson to return and would probably be happy enough with the midfield if we could magically ensure no one would be injured. Hopefully Dan can recapture some of his old form as well.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Basing it on a 4-4-2 our likely line-up is probably this:-

Martin

Marshall
Fordyce
Brownlie
Rooney

Stirling
Rankin
Tapping/Jacobs
Carmichael

Dobbie
Lyle

SUBS

Fergusson
Bell
Dykes
Mercer
Murray
Leighfield GK
Robinson GK

I have to say I've taken more negatives from that article than positives. The three main things are firstly, him stating Naysmith wanted someone younger in defence. I'm all for youth but if he isn't bringing in an experienced CB for that backline then I'll be really concerned.

Secondly him twice (IMO) having a pop at our wage budget. It feels like excuses at the ready. I also think it's something that doesn't require mentioning as it comes across as a bit disrespectful to the club. Just say "we're waiting for the right player at the right price". I'm sure the last manager who battered on about our budget was Gus!

Thirdly, them only bringing in 2/3 more players. Does that include loans? If it does then we won't be near the top half playoffs, we'll be trying to avoid the bottom half. I see 3 injury risks in that side and if they do pick up another injury then we'd be really struggling. You have to imagine that at some point during the season we'll have injuries and suspensions anyway. Our bench has potential IMO, if they are nurtured throughout the season. There isn't one (outfield) player there that I'd be currently happy starting every week though.

An experienced CB would be my priority. Another wide player and CM as well and another striker as Lyle may well have less and less 90 minute games in him this season.

I'd love Thomson to return and would probably be happy enough with the midfield if we could magically ensure no one would be injured. Hopefully Dan can recapture some of his old form as well.

This was discussed yesterday - the assumption is no it doesnt. I think you're being a bit harsh on the mentions of the budget

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

What about Stirling? I would say he is creative and an improvement on Anderson. Hopefully, a fit Carmichael will be an improvement too. If he can get back to previous form that would make a huge difference from last season.

Agree on the midfield, though. We're really going to be relying on the front players to provide the creativity and goals.

With anywhere between 2 and 6 players still to come in we could end up with a pretty decent side, though

Stirling comes with a similar pedigree to Anderson.  If he lasts more than half a season then he'll be an improvement, but not drastically so to see us fly up the league I wouldn't expect.

Your use of "hopefully" and "if" say all that needs saying about Carmichael.

Obviously it's hard to make predictions until the squad is complete and we've had a chance to see them in action.  I think I'd prefer to err on the side of caution though.  Otherwise we'll find ourselves in a situation where people are touting us for the playoffs with no real basis and then hounding out the manager for not achieving it.

This was discussed yesterday - the assumption is no it doesnt. I think you're being a bit harsh on the mentions of the budget

Ah, must not have read that. Certainly a bit less concerning in that case.

I'm sticking to my guns with regards to the budget, if for no other reason than it bothers me when any manager mentions it. Surely the BOD will have informed them of this seasons budget (or a rough idea). If they didn't think it was manageable they shouldn't have taken the position. He probably isn't saying it in a derogatory way, I just always take those sort of comments in a 'a good workman never blames his tools' sort of way.

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Stirling comes with a similar pedigree to Anderson.  If he lasts more than half a season then he'll be an improvement, but not drastically so to see us fly up the league I wouldn't expect.

Probably not, although I would argue he was more impressive for Dumbarton than Anderson ever was for Raith.

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Obviously it's hard to make predictions until the squad is complete and we've had a chance to see them in action.  I think I'd prefer to err on the side of caution though.  Otherwise we'll find ourselves in a situation where people are touting us for the playoffs with no real basis and then hounding out the manager for not achieving it.

We should certainly be aiming for the play-offs but, you're right, anyone touting us and being overly upset if we dont make them is being unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ah, must not have read that. Certainly a bit less concerning in that case.

I'm sticking to my guns with regards to the budget, if for no other reason than it bothers me when any manager mentions it. Surely the BOD will have informed them of this seasons budget (or a rough idea). If they didn't think it was manageable they shouldn't have taken the position. He probably isn't saying it in a derogatory way, I just always take those sort of comments in a 'a good workman never blames his tools' sort of way.

It is very much an assumption/guess though!

Or maybe he's just being realistic. I dont think he actually complained about the budget just pointed out that theres a certain market of players we can look at and that we'll have a relatively small squad. That shouldnt be news to any of us

It is very much an assumption/guess though!
Or maybe he's just being realistic. I dont think he actually complained about the budget just pointed out that theres a certain market of players we can look at and that we'll have a relatively small squad. That shouldnt be news to any of us

I agree. That's why I don't feel it requires pointing out :lol:

In football nothing surprises me but if Andy Stirling doesn't make a far bigger impact than Anderson then I will be very disappointed.

I thought that he might have had better offers than our one after the way he played in second half of season but potentially a very good signing. Naysmith did well to get him and Martin.

Looks like it will be loan signing now.

Makes sense really we can get quality players in like last season on our budget..

If we could somehow get Joe Thomson back that would be great signing.

How many players can we take on loan ?

On 2017-6-13 at 11:05, 19QOS19 said:

I know some folk would have likes Higgins and/or Dowie to stay but I have to admit I'm not devastated they've both been released.

Marshall, Brownlie, Higgins/Dowie, Hamill/Mercer were probably our main back 4 last season. Hamill was better than Mercer but we retained the latter so we have Marshall, Brownlie and Mercer all signed up.

Our defence was absolutely rotten at times last season and IMO Brownlie was the worst one. Mercer was always going to be here next season as was Marshall so it was really a case of getting rid of the oldies or Brownlie. Higgins and Dowie weren't to blame for the poor defence but as they are getting on it surely made sense to keep our younger CB.

I wouldn't have been happy if our whole backline had been re-signed (I'd have been happy if they were all released tbh) so I'm not gutted they left.

There's was nothing wrong with the whole team 10 games or so into last season.

All of a sudden they are useless from back to front .

24 minutes ago, Besty said:

There's was nothing wrong with the whole team 10 games or so into last season.

All of a sudden they are useless from back to front .

It's not like the whole team has been punted!  

If everyone had performed in the same manner for the remaining 3/4's of the season then you would maybe have a point.

Edited by Dougie Mills