The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Thanks. Never heard of them. Quick google says they are a 2nd tier Victorian side. That's quite a low level.

Sunshine George Cross were in the old NSL for a few seasons. Started by Maltese immigrants in the 50's or 60's. Kevin Muscat started his kicking playing career with them.

22 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Andy Dowie. Lend us your thoughts.

"Echo what others have said. Solid defender, good on the ball, will help young players. Personally I would like to have seen him kept on here but the Manager wants his own men in. All the best to him.

With Dowie and Higgins both  getting new clubs easily should we have retained one of them.

My worry is that can we get better players in .

Naysmith still has time but i think i would rather have a Dowie or Higgins than a 20 year old from York City

I know some folk would have likes Higgins and/or Dowie to stay but I have to admit I'm not devastated they've both been released.

Marshall, Brownlie, Higgins/Dowie, Hamill/Mercer were probably our main back 4 last season. Hamill was better than Mercer but we retained the latter so we have Marshall, Brownlie and Mercer all signed up.

Our defence was absolutely rotten at times last season and IMO Brownlie was the worst one. Mercer was always going to be here next season as was Marshall so it was really a case of getting rid of the oldies or Brownlie. Higgins and Dowie weren't to blame for the poor defence but as they are getting on it surely made sense to keep our younger CB.

I wouldn't have been happy if our whole backline had been re-signed (I'd have been happy if they were all released tbh) so I'm not gutted they left.

7 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

With Dowie and Higgins both  getting new clubs easily should we have retained one of them.

My worry is that can we get better players in .

Naysmith still has time but i think i would rather have a Dowie or Higgins than a 20 year old from York City

One has gone part time and the other has dropped a division. Rooney is more of a right back, is he not? Fordyce is the main replacement at centre half, so far.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know some folk would have likes Higgins and/or Dowie to stay but I have to admit I'm not devastated they've both been released.

Marshall, Brownlie, Higgins/Dowie, Hamill/Mercer were probably our main back 4 last season. Hamill was better than Mercer but we retained the latter so we have Marshall, Brownlie and Mercer all signed up.

Our defence was absolutely rotten at times last season and IMO Brownlie was the worst one. Mercer was always going to be here next season as was Marshall so it was really a case of getting rid of the oldies or Brownlie. Higgins and Dowie weren't to blame for the poor defence but as they are getting on it surely made sense to keep our younger CB.

I wouldn't have been happy if our whole backline had been re-signed (I'd have been happy if they were all released tbh) so I'm not gutted they left.

Given the criticism our defence took last season, at times justified, it is odd to now see fans questioning why two of them have been let go.

1 hour ago, dafcburty said:

Play-Offs the aim as Queens get set for another competitive Championship campaign

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/06/13/play-offs-the-aim-as-queens-get-set-for-another-competitive-championship-campaign/

Interview with Assistant Manager, Dougie Anderson. 

Thanks for posting.

23 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Good interview with Anderson still think  we need more than 2 or 3 players.

Going to wait for signing  really that means if players can,t get a better deal elsewhere then they will sign for us . 

We have 13 "senior" outfield players signed up now. I included Dykes but didnt include Murray which might be wrong in terms of who sees more game time next season, but as both were in last years squad too its not really relevant.

We finished last season with 15 signed senior outfield players plus the three loans.

Im guessing that we might see a couple more players signed plus some others coming in on loan.

ETA - it will be interesting to see which areas Naysmith prioritizes with his 2 or 3 signings. Ideally, I'd be looking for another defender, central midfielder, wide player and striker. 

Edited by Mr X

Guest Flash

As things currently stand, I think the replacements to the squad that started last season are (assuming Carmichael is included as an original, given that we were promised 2 signings after Dobbie and only got him)

Millar (Rankin) Anderson (Stirling) Hamill (Mercer) Higgins (Fordyce) Dowie (Rooney) Atkinson (Martin - more likely Martin for Robinson and Robinson for Atkinson) 

So no replacements so far for Hilson, Rigg, Pickard, Hooper, Brotherston, Moxon or Smith (although it could be that promotions from U20s have been made such as Murray in for Hilson, Fergusson for Rigg and Bell for Pickard). That leaves Moxon, Brotherston, Hooper and Smith to be replaced.

Above might not all be exact like for like, but closest I can get in terms of numbers. And as the players not replaced so far were "fringe" it would seem unlikely we will make any more signings of senior players, unless Naysmith is looking to replace Hilson and Rigg with something better than former U20s or he wants to beef up the defence in terms of numbers.

Edited by Flash

I'd hope the 2/3 are permanent signings along with a couple loans would do me grand. Ditto what Mr X says on what we are needing, a centre half, centre mid, centre forward and a winger/no.10. I'd be pretty pleased with size of squad then

Think we need to remain realistic for the season ahead. Promotion play-off's is all well and good but survival in the league comes above all others. Look at Raith Rovers now and i assume they have a bigger budget than us. That's the thing with this league most of the clubs in it have bigger budgets. 2 or 3 is all we might be able to afford. for the league campaign if we should stay ahead of Brechin and Dumbarton. Livingston, Dunfermilne and Morton we are likely to duke it out with throughout the season. Cant see the top four being anyone else other than UTD, Caley thistle, Falkirk and st mirren. For me play-off's is unlikely but we shall see

Budgets are all good and well but mean sod all if you have the wrong guy in charge. I'd imagine Hibs budget gulfs most Premiership clubs but still failed to gain promotion until now,and having Newco in the league is no excuse.

20 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Think we need to remain realistic for the season ahead. Promotion play-off's is all well and good but survival in the league comes above all others. Look at Raith Rovers now and i assume they have a bigger budget than us. That's the thing with this league most of the clubs in it have bigger budgets. 2 or 3 is all we might be able to afford. for the league campaign if we should stay ahead of Brechin and Dumbarton. Livingston, Dunfermilne and Morton we are likely to duke it out with throughout the season. Cant see the top four being anyone else other than UTD, Caley thistle, Falkirk and st mirren. For me play-off's is unlikely but we shall see

If you can't have a bit of optimism about the coming season before a balls been kicked then what's the point!  The thought of another season bobbling about in 6-8th doesn't excite me in the slightest.

Just now, Dougie Mills said:

If you can't have a bit of optimism about the coming season before a balls been kicked then what's the point!  The thought of another season bobbling about in 6-8th doesn't excite me in the slightest.

generally I am optimistic in general i was last last season way beyond what i probably should of been. I obviously hope we are competing for a playoff place maybe we will be. But to be realistic i think mid table would be a minimum target and whatever else is a bonus.  

If we are to mount a sustained Play off challenge I feel that we need 3 very solid additions to squad. Unquestionably a good CB and a CM. A mobile striker would also help to get us higher up the pitch in the tougher away games. If Danny can deliver I think we are potentially well covered in terms of "flair" - we have Stirling and also young Murray who I think has the potential to do well.

Using Flash's squad comparison it's hard to envisage us doing much more than last season.  The only position that stands out as being improved upon is goalkeeper.

Whilst it was probably needed, making wholesale changes to the defence is a bit of a gamble as they will take time to gel as a unit.  It is looking like being a very young defence as well so I would expect our habit of making mistakes at the back to continue.

The midfield is looking pretty mediocre to me.  Rankin and Jacobs are solid and unspectacular, and Tapping is a complete unknown.  If we could get Joe Thomson back I would be far happier.

Lyle and Dobbie remain our only real quality in the squad, but both will be a year older.  I still expect both to provide a similar goal return to last season, but as that showed we can't rely on just them.

As it stands I wouldn't be confident predicting anything above 8th.