The Queen of the South thread

I have a couple of concerns if we were to go for him...

Firstly - there is the makings of a curse with players signed from Raith Rovers. The current streak of terrible signings off the top of my head goes Grant Anderson, Ryan Conroy, John Baird, Stephen Simmons and Mark Campbell (Further examples welcome). The watering hole isn't just poisoned, it's Flint Michigan mixed with Chernobyl levels of contaminated.

Secondly - He hasn't scored a goal since October,  Joey Barton was still at Rangers, Donald Trump was an outsider candidate, Raith Rovers were in 3rd place in the Championship. The impact of a single season with Gary Locke can not be emphasised how detrimental that could be.

If you can see beyond those massive red flags then he's a good signing to rotate with Lyle. If I were to rate it with 1 being the reanimated corpse of Stephen Simmons and 10 being Dan Orsi, i'd give the move a six and a half

Edited by Sloop John B

2 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Firstly - there is the makings of a curse with players signed from Raith Rovers. The current streak of terrible signings off the top of my head goes Grant Anderson, Ryan Conroy, John Baird, Stephen Simmons and Mark Campbell (Further examples welcome). The watering hole isn't just poisoned, it's Flint Michigan mixed with Chernobyl levels of contaminated.

Secondly - He hasn't scored a goal since October,  Joey Barton was still at Rangers, Donald Trump was an outsider candidate, Raith Rovers were in 3rd place in the Championship. The impact of a single season with Gary Locke can not be emphasised how detrimental that could be.

If you can see beyond those massive red flags then he's a good signing to rotate with Lyle. If I were to rate it with 1 being the reanimated corpse of Stephen Simmons and 10 being Dan Orsi, i'd give the move a six and a half

Curse?

The first three were decent enough players for us, Baird more so.

Simmons, quite simply, when we picked him up he was erratic at best, he had his moments though.

I would leave Mark Campbell out of any criticism, he left us after rehab from recovering from a car crash and was quite clearly not ready to resume playing, that said he later captained Auchinleck Talbot to the Junior Cup.

I can't recall the dates and who your manager was at the time of their signing, but if a 'curse' were to be apportioned it is more likely to poor judgement.

9 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Lewis Vaughan went to Dumbarton and did really well, although his time under Locke was a lot less.

Anderson and Baird werent bad signings. Both were unlucky to pick up injuries which in Bairds case kept him out of the team and in Andersons seemed to knock his confidence. Under different circumstances both could have been really good players for us.

6 hours ago, JessieField said:

Mark Stewart's too wee, we need a physical presence up front.

Do we? Id rather see pace up front. A physical presence just encourages long, high balls

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Anderson and Baird werent bad signings. Both were unlucky to pick up injuries which in Bairds case kept him out of the team and in Andersons seemed to knock his confidence. Under different circumstances both could have been really good players for us.

They were on paper solid signings that failed to live up to the expectations and were gone by January so these injury affected spells plays very well into the Raith to Queens curse narrative.

None of the last 5 signings lasted more than a season. Putting it on par with the Watford Manager or the Hogwarts Defence against the Dark Art teacher as a poor career choice.

I've always rated Mark Stewart, only seen him play against us though. He is a "busy" striker, pushing up on the  opposition defence, not letting them settle. If he did sign I would be disappointed,  but not surprised,,  if Dykes was picked over him as Naysmith obviously prefers a tall target man to hoof the ball up to. Lyle, being good in the air, is often deployed for this tactic also but I have doubts if he is still a 90 minute man.  I wouldn't be too upset if Stewart did sign but as others have said, other positions are probably more in need of attention.

26 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Going on gut feeling I dont think Stewart is the answer. Lots of better options out there like potentially Andy Ryan, Gav, Brian Graham, Denny Johnstone, Lawrie Shankland and guys we haven't heard of. 

Ryan, Graham and Johnstone are all under contract, as is Reilly but its likely he'll be available.

Shankland is an awful player. I'd have a one-legged Stewart before him.

How do you know guys we havent heard of are better options?

Going on gut feeling I dont think Stewart is the answer. Lots of better options out there like potentially Andy Ryan, Gav, Brian Graham, Denny Johnstone, Lawrie Shankland and guys we haven't heard of. 

I don't think we need an "answer" tbh. Dobbie and Lyle are still good enough for this level and between them they got 39 goals last season. I don't think it's an unrealistic ask for 25 goals next season. If Dobbie is given a partner every game, isn't played out wide and we don't have an awful run again then I'd expect him to rack up that amount of goals singlehandedly.

For me our priority is still tightening up the defence and ideally a goalscoring midfielder. Striker is way down the priority list IMO.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think we need an "answer" tbh. Dobbie and Lyle are still good enough for this level and between them they got 39 goals last season. I don't think it's an unrealistic ask for 25 goals next season. If Dobbie is given a partner every game, isn't played out wide and we don't have an awful run again then I'd expect him to rack up that amount of goals singlehandedly.

For me our priority is still tightening up the defence and ideally a goalscoring midfielder. Striker is way down the priority list IMO.

After Lyle and Dobbie we only have Dykes and Ferguson. I wouldnt say another striker is that far down the priority list

After Lyle and Dobbie we only have Dykes and Ferguson. I wouldnt say another striker is that far down the priority list

We need cover, that's for sure but at this stage I'd rather we were prioritising a solid CB than a striker. I'd sooner take the scraps from the striker department than CB if that makes sense.

I'm hoping Ferguson is given some game time this season. I don't think we'll ever have as good a strike partnership for some time so it's a good chance to ease in a youngster with no pressure rather than relying on him to develop quickly.

(He can look at more than one player of course but you know what I mean :lol:)

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And Murray. But that doesnt change your point much I guess.

I didnt include Murray as he played out wide for almost all of this time on the pitch last season. I assumed that would continue, but you're right he could be consider an option up front but it doesnt change the point

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

We need cover, that's for sure but at this stage I'd rather we were prioritising a solid CB than a striker. I'd sooner take the scraps from the striker department than CB if that makes sense.

I'm hoping Ferguson is given some game time this season. I don't think we'll ever have as good a strike partnership for some time so it's a good chance to ease in a youngster with no pressure rather than relying on him to develop quickly.

(He can look at more than one player of course but you know what I mean :lol:)

Well, kind of but no :lol:

I agree there are areas of the pitch that need more attention but the two arent mutually exclusive. If we sign a striker now and a defender in a fortnight does it really matter, if Naysmith gets the players he wants?

I'd imagine he has targets in mind for all the areas he wants to strengthen and a budget to work with. I cant see how getting a lesser priority now affects his ability to get a higher priority later.

I find it interesting to see that most think Lyle/Dobbie will be the starting pair next season. It seems I'm in the minority but I think it is time for Lyle to drop to the bench and become an impact sub, two strikers in their mid-30s don't provide enough energy and I'm pretty sure "pragmatic" Naysmith will think the same. Dobbie + Dykes or AN Other.

31 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

I find it interesting to see that most think Lyle/Dobbie will be the starting pair next season. It seems I'm in the minority but I think it is time for Lyle to drop to the bench and become an impact sub, two strikers in their mid-30s don't provide enough energy and I'm pretty sure "pragmatic" Naysmith will think the same. Dobbie + Dykes or AN Other.

I'd rather Lyle started than Dykes but if Naysmith brings in someone else I could see both being on the bench more often than not

Dykes being a regular starter would make me change my whole view from earlier and I'd be praying for a striker!

I felt that when Dykes came off the bench last term under Naysmith we'd then resort to high balls. If that's all Naysmith thinks Dykes is good for* then I really wouldn't want him to be a starter.

* He's not good at it.