The Queen of the South thread

21 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

You are doing Del a great dis-service there.  

I think you will find he directly set-up numerous chances for Dobbie throughout the season, a lot of which were scuffed past the post when the Dobster was struggling a bit.

Of course, this was reciprocated and Del scored a few from their 'telepathic' link-up play too.   Just as well because I can only recall him scoring one header at home - Morton -  from a cross into the box after Dobbies arrival.  We just don't seem to do that anymore.  I actually enjoyed the early League Cup match at home to Airdrie on a sweltering July evening where Anderson was getting down the right, on his right foot and getting crosses into the box from which Lyle scored a dandy double.

Anyway, let's celebrate having two very intelligent strikers who are on the same wavelength and that they can replicate that form going into this season in spite of advancing years and a Manager who is not totally committed to playing them together.

I literally love Derek Lyle.  He just pips Dobbie as my favourite Queens player of all time.  If you can't accept that Hibs have better players than us though I don't think there is much more to be said on this subject.

" but it's easy to argue that the veteran striker had less help around him to reach that figure."    I think that's a bit of an insult to our team especially Derek Lyle.   It's well seen that the compiler does not get to see all teams first hand - of course that would be impossible.   I am sure Dobbie would be the first to acknowledge the assistance he has had from teammates - especially Del.  The way they linked up in such a short space of time was remarkable and great to watch - how any Manager could disrupt that combination is beyond belief.   Even Dobbie had some barren spells  - the Manager was quick to remind us it was about 10 games at one point - but I suspect these would have co-incided with Del's  injury at Dumbarton from which the whole season took a nose-dive and then when the Manager chose to play Dobbie as lone striker !

I know what you're getting at but I agree with the others that I doubt it was meant in a negative way. It's factually correct.

I actually said numerous times throughout the season "imagine the damage Dobbie would do in a team like Hibs?"

He has a quality strike partner but there is no one in our midfield as creative as say Andreu or McGinn. Dobbie creates a shitload of chances by himself but imagine how many more chances he'd get if we had a creative player in the middle of the park?

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:
" but it's easy to argue that the veteran striker had less help around him to reach that figure."

I think that's a bit of an insult to our team especially Derek Lyle.

It's well seen that the compiler does not get to see all teams first hand - of course that would be impossible.

I am sure Dobbie would be the first to acknowledge the assistance he has had from teammates - especially Del.  The way they linked up in such a short space of time was remarkable and great to watch - how any Manager could disrupt that combination is beyond belief.

Even Dobbie had some barren spells  - the Manager was quick to remind us it was about 10 games at one point - but I suspect these would have co-incided with Del's  injury at Dumbarton from which the whole season took a nose-dive and then when the Manager chose to play Dobbie as lone striker !

Nobody's insulting Lyle. It's a fact that Hibs won the League (pretty comfortably really) and we finished 6th. Whilst the defensive side was clearly far more of a problem than the attacking side, it's utterly obvious that the Hibs squad is better than ours. I don't see any issue with what the League have said.

Nobody's insulting Lyle. It's a fact that Hibs won the League (pretty comfortably really) and we finished 6th. Whilst the defensive side was clearly far more of a problem than the attacking side, it's utterly obvious that the Hibs squad is better than ours. I don't see any issue with what the League have said.

Lyles a dick.

14 hours ago, Swarley said:

Pesky volunteers who've not taken time out of their working day/family time to update the site with news we already know. It's a disgrace. Sack the Board/Manager/Lee Robinson.

I wasn't having a go at the website folk, who do a great job.  Just thought it was a bit weird that it had appeared on twitter etc.  Calm doon!

Nobody mentioned the League Cup draw yet?
Hamilton, Stenhousemuir, Albion Rovers & East Kilbride.
Decent enough draw with not much travel in it. Decent chance of progress too.

Totally forgot about it!
It's a bit of a meh draw really.
We usually loose at Accies. Should take care of Stenny fairly easily. We owe Rovers big time for that shambolic performance in the cup against them last season. Looking forward to the EK tie.

Everyone is waiting to see admission prices, to see if we are getting ripped off again .

13 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Everyone is waiting to see admission prices, to see if we are getting ripped off again .

You could of course just not go if it bothers you that much. Of all the things to potentially have a go at the club over, admission prices should be right at the back of the queue given we are between £2 & £7 cheaper per league game than every other side in the division except Brechin.

You could of course just not go if it bothers you that much. Of all the things to potentially have a go at the club over, admission prices should be right at the back of the queue given we are between £2 & £7 cheaper per league game than every other side in the division except Brechin.

I am not talking about league games .

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Do we know yet if the EK game will be home or away?

Just now, weeredbook said:

I am not talking about league games .

No kidding? We know what you are talking about and its perfectly clear what the Board's policy on admission for ALL games is. Like I said, if you think you are getting ripped off in cup games then dont go. Thats your choice to make.