The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Sorry but this sentiment that Lee should stay "because he's a legend" is a load of nonsense. This is a football club and Lee knows that as much as anyone else.

Clearly he has been replaced by someone better and that is a good thing for Queens. If stays as goalkeeper coach fair enough, but it may also be a good thing if his wage is freed up for another position in the team.

I love Lee and his hair, and everything he's done for us but we can't keep people because they're legends! I don't see Terry staying at Chelsea or Rooney staying at United for the same reason?!

Hey let's face it Martin has had one good season n his career keys wait and see what happens before we make judgement.

Naysmith doesn't appear to have a clue about keepers, the jim atkinson situation shows that,

Jim had as lot of  potential and he only saw him play once before releasing him

He may well have been worth money to the club.

He would have been on a couple of hundred pounds a week and still not deemed an asset.

I would imagine that Robinson would leave if he feels he's had his nose pushed out as I  Can't image  him wanting to be a coach there , so that would leave the youngsters.

Naismith's signingdto date have been poor imo, Mercer and  Rankin in particular.

He's not Improved one players performance 's nice he came in and sickened off half the older players.

His man management skills appear poor 

Let's see how long he lasts 

Edited by Besty

24 minutes ago, Besty said:

Hey let's face it Martin has had one good season n his career keys wait and see what happens before we make judgement.

Naysmith doesn't appear to have a clue about keepers, the jim atkinson situation shows that,

He would have been on a couple of hundred pounds a week and still not deemed an asset.

I would imagine that Robinson would leave if he feels he's had his nose pushed out as I  Can't image  him wanting to be a coach there , so that would leave the youngsters.

Naismith's signingdto date have been poor imo, Mercer and  Rankin in particular.

He's not Improved one players performance 's nice he came in and sickened off half the older players.

Let's see how long he lasts 

We get it - you don't like Naysmith and REALLY like Robinson!

Pretty sure he'll have seen plenty of Atkinson in training to have gauged whether he considered him worth keeping.

30 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

I think it was actually 'Besty' that made those remarks -  cue somebody going off the deep end about  quote function !

He is totally correct though.   Naysmith has sought to alienate the majority of the 'senior' players or perhaps more accurately those that have a connection to previous successes with us.   I am really surprised he kept Carmichael and to a lesser extent Lyle.   It's like he wants to jettison any player who has given their all for the Club under Johnston, McIntyre and Fowler - a succession of Managers who served up attractive, entertaining football far superior to anything he has produced so far.

I also agree that he has not improved any players performance since he arrived.

Thomas, Thomson and Rankin all made an impact when they first arrived but quickly deteriorated over the remainder of the season.

This could certainly be put down to poor man management by Naysmith - his remarks in public are truly appalling and de-motivational -  which has quite clearly permeated the whole squad.  He couldn't wait to strip the Captaincy from Higgins and marginalise him at every opportunity, a player I think could still do a decent job for us.

Finally, I have never said any player should be kept on just because of their past but they should be judged on whether they can still contribute to our success.

What I do abhor, and have said on numerous occasions, is the moronic abuse of  any player - particularly those who have been at the forefront of our successes.

There has been a huge focus on Mental Health in football recently. 

Some of those who spout this abuse should remember that footballers are human beings too and should be treated with respect.  Perhaps the next time they feel the impulse to indulge they should remember and reflect on our own Chris Mitchell and the other accounts we have heard recently.

Or will they just continue and say " tough, if they dinnae like it they shouldnae be footballers" .

55 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I think it was actually 'Besty' that made those remarks -  cue somebody going off the deep end about  quote function !

He is totally correct though.   Naysmith has sought to alienate the majority of the 'senior' players or perhaps more accurately those that have a connection to previous successes with us.   I am really surprised he kept Carmichael and to a lesser extent Lyle.   It's like he wants to jettison any player who has given their all for the Club under Johnston, McIntyre and Fowler - a succession of Managers who served up attractive, entertaining football far superior to anything he has produced so far.

I also agree that he has not improved any players performance since he arrived.

Thomas, Thomson and Rankin all made an impact when they first arrived but quickly deteriorated over the remainder of the season.

This could certainly be put down to poor man management by Naysmith - his remarks in public are truly appalling and de-motivational -  which has quite clearly permeated the whole squad.  He couldn't wait to strip the Captaincy from Higgins and marginalise him at every opportunity, a player I think could still do a decent job for us.

Finally, I have never said any player should be kept on just because of their past but they should be judged on whether they can still contribute to our success.

What I do abhor, and have said on numerous occasions, is the moronic abuse of  any player - particularly those who have been at the forefront of our successes.

There has been a huge focus on Mental Health in football recently. 

Some of those who spout this abuse should remember that footballers are human beings too and should be treated with respect.  Perhaps the next time they feel the impulse to indulge they should remember and reflect on our own Chris Mitchell and the other accounts we have heard recently.

Or will they just continue and say " tough, if they dinnae like it they shouldnae be footballers" .

Well said, he seems a strange guy.

I can understand him wanting to clear out some f the players but the the likes of Hamill after apparently commenting on pre match preparation was alienated and never appeared again,not sure if he was even training latterly.

Naysmith sounds pretty ruthless but if you live by the sword you die by the sword.

Maybe he's the next Jack Ross but I doubt it.

All the team that doesn't DC so well early on needed was to restore the belief.

No one was slagging players off in those times, 

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

We get it - you don't like Naysmith and REALLY like Robinson!

Pretty sure he'll have seen plenty of Atkinson in training to have gauged whether he considered him worth keeping.

To be honest I like anyone with talent, hence I was disappointed when he punted Hilson, yet kept Dan who showed nothing of the old Carmichael.

He rushed Dan, Hilson and tapping back as he was panicking over results, then he makes a decision on all 3 and imo got it wrong.

As I keep saying he has knocked the confidence of everyone who has played for him .

I personally think in Robinson and Atkinson we had 2 talented keepers.

Martin's had one good season and hardly played wherever he's been other than Clyde, he doesn't appear technically gifted but does gave a good ling kick.

That's the other thing as bout Naysmith he never considers playing the ball out from the back.

He seems to favour damage limitation and has Robinson kicking the ball into a huddle of 16 players or so.

The odd ball goes out and  every me is effing and blinding, pathetic.

Poor grant ,Lyndon it Del against the biggest guy on the opposition side.

When else in a game Do you tell everyone where the balls going.

The guy is naive and that's being kind.

Let's wait and see, maybe I might just be wrong.

Edited by Besty

37 minutes ago, mckenna said:

Was it not skelton that started this tactic? Or is it only anti naysmith comments that are allowed

Yep it started then , but hasn't he left?

Does 2 wrongs make a right, it's crazy to let people no with a few yards SD where the ball is going to go 

It's damage limitation in the fact that the ball either goes out of play for a throw in to them of we get a knock on from which I don't recall us ever Scoring A goal from.

Unless you have a big man little man set up it rarely works.

I remember hearing Niall Quinn speaking about his "telepathic"relationship with Kevin  Phillips .

It was as simple as ,"regardless of which side I'm on I'll knock it inside"

How simple Is  that ?

If you are going to launch It you need a guaranteed ball winner and some one running off him.

3 hours ago, Besty said:

Martin's had one good season and hardly played wherever he's been other than Clyde, he doesn't appear technically gifted but does gave a good ling kick.

He cleaned up the POTY awards at Clyde too. He was 1st choice at Ayr in the season they won the playoffs, before rejecting a deal, was second choice for a bit in the (as it is now known) EFL, was excellent at Clyde, won a move to Hamilton where he was behind Michael McGovern (arguably in the top 3 or 4 'keepers in the country at the time) before being number 1 for us. It looks more like you have a personal affiliation with Robinson than anything else here.

Intrigued by what the underlined part of your comment means. I doubt he's going to rabona his man on the edge of the box, but in terms of goalkeeping ability he's as good as you'll get in this league.

15 minutes ago, mckenna said:

. It looks more like you have a personal affiliation with Robinson than anything else here.

Or are Robinson

youre just too clever for me yes it's me Lee.

Like all of the players we all have secret names and bull ourselves up on here.

Looks like Martin's at it already as sonstream of 08

Ha

Edited by Besty

25 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He cleaned up the POTY awards at Clyde too. He was 1st choice at Ayr in the season they won the playoffs, before rejecting a deal, was second choice for a bit in the (as it is now known) EFL, was excellent at Clyde, won a move to Hamilton where he was behind Michael McGovern (arguably in the top 3 or 4 'keepers in the country at the time) before being number 1 for us. It looks more like you have a personal affiliation with Robinson than anything else here.

Intrigued by what the underlined part of your comment means. I doubt he's going to rabona his man on the edge of the box, but in terms of goalkeeping ability he's as good as you'll get in this league.

It didn't come across that well on wiki his games have generally been at a low level .

All the decent teams he's been at he's hardly played if a. All.

Hey ,let's wait and see hopefully he continues his recent form and we will all benefit.

44 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It'll be because Robinson has a  popular Instagram account called 'The Modern Day Goalkeeper' where he shows how technically sound he is with his feet and hands. Which obviously he is and it looks impressive for footballer skill account. Though it has been the fairly boring things like set pieces, setting walls, communication and in the last game, standing up that has been his main problem.

Besty will of course be quick to note that Robinson despite being almost 3 years older has only played 13 more games than Martin throughout his career.

13 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Besty? More like worsty, amirite?

They're looks for comedians for next year's bgt

It's a children's one but you should be OK , I think If  Goes on mental age, wink

13 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

It'll be because Robinson has a  popular Instagram account called 'The Modern Day Goalkeeper' where he shows how technically sound he is with his feet and hands. Which obviously he is and it looks impressive for footballer skill account. Though it has been the fairly boring things like set pieces, setting walls, communication and in the last game, standing up that has been his main problem.

Besty will of course be quick to note that Robinson despite being almost 3 years older has only played 13 more games than Martin throughout his career.

Not sure how come you such an ardent fan of Martin

What I Do know Is that if he doesn't do the business you will be slating him.

There's Been goalkeepers at aldershot , motherwell,crewe,Ayr and  Hamilton apparently keeping  Martin out, maybe he's a late developer

As I say wait and see we don't have to wait long and the best of luck to all. 

Edited by Besty

Naysmith isn't the first manager to have Atkinson warming the bench. So it's a pretty poor excuse to have a pop (and that's coming from someone who's far from convinced by him). The guy is 22 years old now and has yet to have a full season with any club. You're telling me you would rather have kept him than bring in one of the best goalkeepers on show in the division last year?

Even if he has only "had one good season" it's still far more than Atkinson has achieved. I see no one has rushed to sign Atkinson yet. The boy looked decent when he featured but he'll be well forgotten about soon enough.

He rushed Dan, Hilson and tapping back as he was panicking over results, then he makes a decision on all 3 and imo got it wrong.

I personally think in Robinson and Atkinson we had 2 talented keepers.

We were never going to be able to keep Hilson and Tapping. Tapping is the better option IMO.

1 hour ago, Besty said:

Not sure how come you such an ardent fan of Martin

What I Do know Is that if he doesn't do the business you will be slating him.

There's Been goalkeepers at aldershot , motherwell,crewe,Ayr and  Hamilton apparently keeping  Martin out, maybe he's a late developer

As I say wait and see we don't have to wait long and the best of luck to all. 

He was first choice at Ayr for the short time he was there, he left Motherwell when he was 18, and was behind a full international at Hamilton.

There's been goalkeepers at Rangers, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock Ostersunds and Rangers...again...keeping Robinson out the team. In fact looking at his career, Queens are the only team where he's played regularly. They've both had quite similar careers, where they've spent far too much time sat on the bench actually.

34 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He was first choice at Ayr for the short time he was there, he left Motherwell when he was 18, and was behind a full international at Hamilton.

There's been goalkeepers at Rangers, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock Ostersunds and Rangers...again...keeping Robinson out the team. In fact looking at his career, Queens are the only team where he's played regularly. They've both had quite similar careers, where they've spent far too much time sat on the bench actually.

I agree they are both useless

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Naysmith isn't the first manager to have Atkinson warming the bench. So it's a pretty poor excuse to have a pop (and that's coming from someone who's far from convinced by him). The guy is 22 years old now and has yet to have a full season with any club. You're telling me you would rather have kept him than bring in one of the best goalkeepers on show in the division last year?

Even if he has only "had one good season" it's still far more than Atkinson has achieved. I see no one has rushed to sign Atkinson yet. The boy looked decent when he featured but he'll be well forgotten about soon enough.

We were never going to be able to keep Hilson and Tapping. Tapping is the better option IMO.

Don't you think that Hilson brought more to the midfield than Dan and callum.

I like tapping but he is injury prone and I doubt he will provide many goals .

At least Hilson ran with the ball and caused problems in that way.

I suppose it's all opinions and the gaffers is the one that decides.