The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Queens til I Die said:

Besty Weres the money coming from to pay another Goalkeeping coach?. I can think of other parts of team we need strengthened. we need a Centre Half Right Back Central Midfielder and Striker before a goalkeeping coach.

Just seems a bit strange for Robinson to coach Martin.

Don't you think

He'll need to fight for it. As a matter of interest how many votes did Robinson get in the Championship Team of the Season Thread compared to Martin. If Naysmith brings in an obviously better keeper and doesn't play him as first choice it will only confirm the doubts held by some that he is not up to the job. I also wonder what Naysmith made of the fact that a keeper who had been out of competitive football for a year managed to secure a two year contract as well as being made goalkeeping coach. I have no problem with Robinson's goalkeeping ability if he only concentrated on that and ditched the stupid behaviour.
Regarding the earlier debate about Baird's departure, I would be surprised if Baird was actually directly involved in any discussions about leaving Queens and going to another club. I'm sure the player's agent would be doing the business, putting out feelers and even talking to other clubs if he felt that the player was unhappy and looking to move on.

Your probably right that Martin will be our number 1 and, now that he is joining our squad I will show him the same respect & loyalty that I would show to all the other players turning out and giving their best for the shirt.
He might turn out to be crap, but if he is I still wouldn't resort to calling him a clown (as many have to Robison on this site) cos he's a Queens player.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was his spell with us really that brief?  I have in my head that it was half a season or thereabouts.  I'm sure you'll be right though.

His cap came in that defeat in Ukraine in our best campaign of the last two decades.  We didn't offer much, but still might have got something were it not for another of those characteristic Kenny Miller misses.

No, you are right. I remember the Challenge Cup semi final at Love Street being his debut and thought that was in about October and he returned to Hearts last week in December I remember. However having checked, the semi final at Love Street was on 22nd August. I forgot they raced through the Challenge Cup early rounds much quicker back then.

28 minutes ago, gogs said:

Alan gray was a good right back in his time with us

Alan Gray never remotely looked like making the step up to this level though. His stellar season was in the 2nd Division title year. To be fair he struggled with injury in the 1st Division but he wasn't good enough for it.

7 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Don't you find it  odd that when the team were winning at the start of the season everyone was great,then suddenly everyone is under scrutiny.

The only thing wrong with the team Naysmith took over was a lack in confidence and he couldn't even manage to instill that.

We didn't need Mercer ,we didn't need Rankin, he managed to get the worst out of Thomas and Thompson despite a great first few games.

He played Danny,Dale and callum when not fit.

Blew out Hamil and hilson

Personally I don't think Naysmith will be here to long bug let's wait and see.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like Robinson, but found it increasingly hard to defend some of his carry on as the season progressed.  He didn't have his best year, but leaving aside the nonsense he indulged in, he still had a lot of good performances.  I've no doubt however that the new guy has been signed to replace him as a starter in the first team and it sounds like a good signing.

As for Baird, you're probably right, but it makes no difference at all.  Such behaviour through an agent would surely still breach rules and cast the same moral shadow as if he'd been picking up the phone himself.

I was agreeing with everything there, right up until "moral shadow"

Guff wasn't too shabby a right back, certainly worth including given some of the other names being put forward. I have to chuckle when people say a player was a good RB but not very good defensively. Surely that's the minimum you expect from a defender, if he's good going forward that's a bonus.

28 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Guff wasn't too shabby a right back, certainly worth including given some of the other names being put forward. I have to chuckle when people say a player was a good RB but not very good defensively. Surely that's the minimum you expect from a defender, if he's good going forward that's a bonus.

I tend to agree (and I know I said exactly that about Mitchell). It does however depend how you see a full backs role. The "modern" full back seems to be an auxiliary winger as much as he is a defender. Players like Ashley Cole and Kyle Walker for England, Andy Robertson for Scotland have made international top level careers out of being full backs far better with the ball than when facing it.

It is ultimately why Eric Paton, for all his qualities on the ball, was dumped to the bench and replaced with Ryan McCann who was a better back post defender for the Scottish Cup run. And it's why McIntyre at times preferred to put Dowie in there than Mitchell.

3 hours ago, Besty said:

Don't you find it  odd that when the team were winning at the start of the season everyone was great,then suddenly everyone is under scrutiny.

The only thing wrong with the team Naysmith took over was a lack in confidence and he couldn't even manage to instill that.

We didn't need Mercer ,we didn't need Rankin, he managed to get the worst out of Thomas and Thompson despite a great first few games.

I think you tend to get under scrutiny when you go 3 months without a win. When you go a round of fixtures without a win it might be more than confidence. It was an issue of quality, being tactically found out and poor recruitment by not having any depth at all.

I mean we had Mark Millar sauntering about midfield and Jake Pickard attempting to comprehend the concept of football. Grant Anderson playing like he saw a ghost. It was absolutely the right decision to get rid of them and bring in Rankin and Thomson. Joe Thomson was  the best player not called Stephen Dobbie in the second half of the season. 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I tend to agree (and I know I said exactly that about Mitchell). It does however depend how you see a full backs role. The "modern" full back seems to be an auxiliary winger as much as he is a defender. Players like Ashley Cole and Kyle Walker for England, Andy Robertson for Scotland have made international top level careers out of being full backs far better with the ball than when facing it.

It is ultimately why Eric Paton, for all his qualities on the ball, was dumped to the bench and replaced with Ryan McCann who was a better back post defender for the Scottish Cup run. And it's why McIntyre at times preferred to put Dowie in there than Mitchell.

I am admittedly old school in my concept of what is expected of full backs, primarily to defend but able to push forward when occasion permits. Obviously modern tactics dictate that so called full backs are expected to add an extra attacking threat but I still think defensive capabilities are just as, if not more,  important.

3 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

I think you tend to get under scrutiny when you go 3 months without a win. When you go a round of fixtures without a win it might be more than confidence. It was an issue of quality, being tactically found out and poor recruitment by not having any depth at all.

I mean we had Mark Millar sauntering about midfield and Jake Pickard attempting to comprehend the concept of football. Grant Anderson playing like he saw a ghost. It was absolutely the right decision to get rid of them and bring in Rankin and Thomson. Joe Thomson was  the best player not called Stephen Dobbie in the second half of the season. 

Thought that Thomas and thompson were a revelation when they first came but for whatever reason they lost there spark.

I personally dont think Rankin is good enough , the careless free kicks he gives away and his creative passing s no n existent.

I think grant could have been used in midfield when struggling for midfielders as his energy was wasted stuck out on the wing trying to win header s.

Playing Jacob's at right Back  when Hamill was available was crazy when 

We had no energy in midfield.

Maybe Naysmith is just finding his feet but  I've not seen an improvement in Any player since he came.

He talks a good after match regarding ,"Ill look at myself to see what I could have done different" but  inevitably blames individual mistakes for every defeat.

Stirling could be a good signing or he could be the next Willie Gibson ,blowing hot and cold. We will see

He won't last imo

21 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Paton was a joy to watch.  He had a really graceful playing style.

..... as well as a dodgy hamstring. Just when he looked like he was on form and ready for a decent run in the team you could bet his hammy would go. Having said that I also thought he was a bit special.

28 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

..... as well as a dodgy hamstring. Just when he looked like he was on form and ready for a decent run in the team you could bet his hammy would go. Having said that I also thought he was a bit special.

:huh: I'm not sure about that - he was a pretty consistent performer. 202 matches in 6 seasons according to wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Paton

7 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

:huh: I'm not sure about that - he was a pretty consistent performer. 202 matches in 6 seasons according to wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Paton

My memory is certainly playing up, I didn't think he had been with us that long. I'm sure he missed fairly lengthy spells during a couple of seasons through injury.