The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Out of interest who was our last really good RB? We've been blessed at LB with Harris and Holt in recent times and further back McAllister obviously. But I can't recall the same luck at RB unless I'm completely forgetting someone? Eric Paton is probably as good a RB I can remember. Who was the regular RB before him?

Chris Mitchell? He wasnt great defensively but he was better than Paton and he was outstanding in his use of the ball.

Out of interest who was our last really good RB? We've been blessed at LB with Harris and Holt in recent times and further back McAllister obviously. But I can't recall the same luck at RB unless I'm completely forgetting someone? Eric Paton is probably as good a RB I can remember. Who was the regular RB before him?

Dowie was excellent when deployed there but he wasn't one for bombing up and down. Defensively I think an experienced CB is a necessity and a starting RB. I'm maybe old fashioned but I'd like an older head to come in at CB.

Either Paton or Ryan McCann. Either way, we're getting close to 10 years since we've had a properly solid option there.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Either Paton or Ryan McCann. Either way, we're getting close to 10 years since we've had a properly solid option there.

Again for me Mitchell was better than both of those. McCann had half a season of being excellent there in the run to the Scottish Cup Final but wasnt remotely as good when he returned.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Chris Mitchell? He wasnt great defensively but he was better than Paton and he was outstanding in his use of the ball.

What did I say? :lol: Knew there was an obvious one! From a personal point of view I preferred Paton.

They both finished their time with us in a similar way I felt. They were played less and less and when they were released there wasn't much deflation from the fans. It's not a criticism and that's football really. But it was a kind of strange feeling given they were both excellent players for us.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

What did I say? :lol: Knew there was an obvious one! From a personal point of view I preferred Paton.

They both finished their time with us in a similar way I felt. They were played less and less and when they were released there wasn't much deflation from the fans. It's not a criticism and that's football really. But it was a kind of strange feeling given they were both excellent players for us.

Mitchell's time with us and indeed in football was finished by a back injury he never properly recovered from though. 

Like I say he wasnt great defensively which is why McIntyre sometimes preferred Dowie there but when in good form his occasional frailties were well outweighed by what he offered at the other end.

5 hours ago, Besty said:

As good a recommendation that Martin comes with he's still susceptible to the odd b@lock himself .

Should be interesting, I would imagine there will be a new goalkeeper coach too.

Wonder who Naismith brings in to replace Dowie,Higgins and Mercer 

Besty Weres the money coming from to pay another Goalkeeping coach?. I can think of other parts of team we need strengthened. we need a Centre Half Right Back Central Midfielder and Striker before a goalkeeping coach.

Dowie was excellent when deployed there but he wasn't one for bombing up and down. Defensively I think an experienced CB is a necessity and a starting RB. I'm maybe old fashioned but I'd like an older head to come in at CB.

Robbie Nielson was a class right back and was always destined for greater things.

22 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Robbie Nielson was a class right back and was always destined for greater things.

Whilst this is absolutely true, he was on loan to us for about two months and was never "our" player. I probably wouldn't count him in this debate. Thought he was unlucky to only get one Scotland cap.

The level of disrespect being shown to Lee Robinson is absolutely appalling. 
People have very short memories it seems. 
There are numerous occasions when he made superb saves in the season just gone to either keep us in games or to avoid a real drubbing.
I just don't understand some 'so called' football fans who can't wait to condemn their own players.
Moreover, no-one from that glorious double-winning squad should ever be subjected to any stick whatsoever.
I was disgusted to hear Nicky Clark being abused when returning with Rangers.  Perhaps though that may have been down to the vile Celtic/Rangers divide and/or the troublemaking group that attached themselves at that time - I believe Jamie McDonald also took some stick in the Cup QF with Falkirk though I have heard him and Cammy Bell being well received on the whole by genuine fans. I guess, as usual, it's the moronic minority that let us and the Club down.  Our former players should always be shown the respect they deserve.

Absolutely spot on mate. Some of the comments on Robinson have been out of order. Hope he hangs around and fights for his place.

45 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

On the subject of Chris Mitchell it's the anniversary of his death and there has been a few things in the media about a foundation his sister has set up in his honour. Iain Russell is involved as you'd expect.

Anniversary was a few weeks ago I think, saw a few photos on Twitter and Facebook. 

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whilst this is absolutely true, he was on loan to us for about two months and was never "our" player. I probably wouldn't count him in this debate. Thought he was unlucky to only get one Scotland cap.

Was his spell with us really that brief?  I have in my head that it was half a season or thereabouts.  I'm sure you'll be right though.

His cap came in that defeat in Ukraine in our best campaign of the last two decades.  We didn't offer much, but still might have got something were it not for another of those characteristic Kenny Miller misses.

19 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Absolutely spot on mate. Some of the comments on Robinson have been out of order. Hope he hangs around and fights for his place.

He'll need to fight for it. As a matter of interest how many votes did Robinson get in the Championship Team of the Season Thread compared to Martin. If Naysmith brings in an obviously better keeper and doesn't play him as first choice it will only confirm the doubts held by some that he is not up to the job. I also wonder what Naysmith made of the fact that a keeper who had been out of competitive football for a year managed to secure a two year contract as well as being made goalkeeping coach. I have no problem with Robinson's goalkeeping ability if he only concentrated on that and ditched the stupid behaviour.

Regarding the earlier debate about Baird's departure, I would be surprised if Baird was actually directly involved in any discussions about leaving Queens and going to another club. I'm sure the player's agent would be doing the business, putting out feelers and even talking to other clubs if he felt that the player was unhappy and looking to move on.

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

He'll need to fight for it. As a matter of interest how many votes did Robinson get in the Championship Team of the Season Thread compared to Martin. If Naysmith brings in an obviously better keeper and doesn't play him as first choice it will only confirm the doubts held by some that he is not up to the job. I also wonder what Naysmith made of the fact that a keeper who had been out of competitive football for a year managed to secure a two year contract as well as being made goalkeeping coach. I have no problem with Robinson's goalkeeping ability if he only concentrated on that and ditched the stupid behaviour.

Regarding the earlier debate about Baird's departure, I would be surprised if Baird was actually directly involved in any discussions about leaving Queens and going to another club. I'm sure the player's agent would be doing the business, putting out feelers and even talking to other clubs if he felt that the player was unhappy and looking to move on.

I like Robinson, but found it increasingly hard to defend some of his carry on as the season progressed.  He didn't have his best year, but leaving aside the nonsense he indulged in, he still had a lot of good performances.  I've no doubt however that the new guy has been signed to replace him as a starter in the first team and it sounds like a good signing.

As for Baird, you're probably right, but it makes no difference at all.  Such behaviour through an agent would surely still breach rules and cast the same moral shadow as if he'd been picking up the phone himself.