The Queen of the South thread

Where Did I say Martin was to be no2 keeper. Nobody is assured of thier place in the team. So what your saying is Martin has been told hes No1 what a load of rubbish only person who can make that call is the Manager he decides who plays.

I doubt Naysmith fought that hard to get Martin purely for him to challenge Robinson. The guy has been brought in to replace Robinson.

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I doubt Naysmith fought that hard to get Martin purely for him to challenge Robinson. The guy has been brought in to replace Robinson.

As good a recommendation that Martin comes with he's still susceptible to the odd b@lock himself .

Should be interesting, I would imagine there will be a new goalkeeper coach too.

Wonder who Naismith brings in to replace Dowie,Higgins and Mercer 

1 hour ago, Queens til I Die said:

Where Did I say Martin was to be no2 keeper. Nobody is assured of thier place in the team. So what your saying is Martin has been told hes No1 what a load of rubbish only person who can make that call is the Manager he decides who plays.

He was pretty much told that when we signed him as I understand it, so aye, I doubt Naysmith would've gone to the bother and pushed the boat out for a guy who wouldn't be starting. I also know that he had plenty of other offers, so I would be shocked if he wasn't your #1 for the start of the season.

59 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Eh, aye, this.

5 minutes ago, Besty said:

As good a recommendation that Martin comes with he's still susceptible to the odd b@lock himself .

Should be interesting, I would imagine there will be a new goalkeeper coach too.

Wonder who Naismith brings in to replace Dowie,Higgins and Mercer 

So is every goalkeeper in the world. If you're looking for a goalkeeper who won't make mistakes then you'll never find him. Even De Gea, Lloris and Ter Stegen chuck a couple in every season. The big thing is that they don't let it effect them, and they don't let it become a habit. Martin's as good as a club the size of Queens will get at this level.

6 minutes ago, Queens til I Die said:

Nobody chooses to join a club on a two year deal to 'compete' for a starting spot when he almost certainly could have started at various other teams. It is exactly the same as last summer when Robbo wasn't joining Queens to compete with Jim Atkinson or Robbie Thomson. 

The big difference for Martin now is coming from a team where they'll give up a lot of shots on goal each game to a side which should be less so whilst I doubt it'll be much of a massive change, some players tend to look better when they are under siege a little bit more.

There can be no doubt that the team being built is a Naysmith side with a rather young defence with Martin (assuming he starts) being the oldest at 28. On paper promising signings.

Martin is an excellent addition for Queens, by far the best keeper on show last season.

Regarding Robinson, club legend for his heroics in the Double winning season. But his behaviour in matches is questionable. Take you back to the Gus era, away to Dundee and he decides to take on three Dundee players from his box until he reaches the half way line. Madness.

His continuing antics with opposition players and time wasting, on some occasions this season has started in the FIRST half, are enough to merit he shouldn't be first choice goalkeeper.

Liking the business Naysmith is doing so far, hope he keeps it up.

Spot on.

Martin will be no.1 i think we can safely say. Got to admit the buisiness done by Naysmith so far is decent, getting deals tied up early.

29 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It's certainly a promising start to signings, so credit to GN for that. If the signings through the rest of the team are of a similar standard then there is no reason we can't have a crack at the title next year.

Steady on!  I'm happy with all three signings, but they are a goalkeeper and midfielder from the team that finished 8th and a defender from the team that finished 5th.  I wouldn't be booking the open top bus quite yet.

As for Robinson.  The reason he is receiving criticism is because he isn't very good, and IMO never really has been.  The "antics" are nothing new, his behaviour in the penalty shootouts against Rangers and Partick are the main reason he has "cult hero" status.  They are being highlighted now for two reasons though.  Firstly he isn't backing them up with good performances, secondly in his role as coach at the club he really should be behaving more professionally.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Naysmith has moved for a new goalkeeper and I'm delighted he's been allowed to bring one in as I wasn't expecting us to sign one.  Assuming Martin can keep his bye-kicks in the park, and doesn't set up a defensive wall then hide behind it he is certain to be an improvement.

Steady on!  I'm happy with all three signings, but they are a goalkeeper and midfielder from the team that finished 8th and a defender from the team that finished 5th.  I wouldn't be booking the open top bus quite yet.

I'm merely suggesting that should we add another 4 players of a standard as solid as those that have come in then we should be looking to be there or thereabouts, particularly with the league looking considerably weaker next season. We still need another centre back, right back, central midfielder and striker at least though.

8 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Adams kept on coming back despite having his career totally derailed by injury coming from his 2nd or 3rd spell here. The fact he took two years out and has just came back to this level after not long ago playing for Wigtown and Bladnoch is testament to the guy. 

Fair enough, but that doesn't make him a Queens legend.

I'm merely suggesting that should we add another 4 players of a standard as solid as those that have come in then we should be looking to be there or thereabouts, particularly with the league looking considerably weaker next season. We still need another centre back, right back, central midfielder and striker at least though.

I'm probably dreaming but Gavin Gunning, Bob Harris, Ian McShane and Gavin Reilly would just about fit the bill perfectly [emoji170]

10 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I'm probably dreaming but Gavin Gunning, Bob Harris, Ian McShane and Gavin Reilly would just about fit the bill perfectly emoji170.png

You are probably dreaming a bit but yep I'd be happy with that lot!

Out of interest who was our last really good RB? We've been blessed at LB with Harris and Holt in recent times and further back McAllister obviously. But I can't recall the same luck at RB unless I'm completely forgetting someone? Eric Paton is probably as good a RB I can remember. Who was the regular RB before him?

Dowie was excellent when deployed there but he wasn't one for bombing up and down. Defensively I think an experienced CB is a necessity and a starting RB. I'm maybe old fashioned but I'd like an older head to come in at CB.