The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

And the answer is the same - the same way that every other player does.

Millar was still under contract, the amount of time left is irrelevant. He left on the 6th January, Baird left on the 5th

The time left isn't irrelevant.

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ok then. To be honest, this whole conversation is irrelevant

You might think so, but a player who has 18 months of his contract to run cannot approach or be approached by another club. End of. So Baird must have asked for his contract to be terminated and, subsequently, approached clubs, not knowing whether or not he would be signed. So, he asked to be made unemployed. He didn't ask for a move.

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

You might think so, but a player who has 18 months of his contract to run cannot approach or be approached by another club. End of. So Baird must have asked for his contract to be terminated and, subsequently, approached clubs, not knowing whether or not he would be signed. So, he asked to be made unemployed. He didn't ask for a move.

Neither can a player with 6 months left, other than to agree a pre-contract.

The player can speak to other clubs with the permission of his current club. 

Given you have no idea what conversations went on between Baird and Queens, or any other club, you cant really say "must have".

Back to the original point, Baird did nothing other players havent done and certainly less than Kerr, yet he is booed when Kerr, and others, arent.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

The player can't speak to other clubs when he has more than 6 months of his contract to run, with or without the permission of his current club.

I don't have any idea what conversations took place. I am saying "must have" because in order to comply with the rules, this is what must have happened. 

How do any transfers happen then?

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

The player can't speak to other clubs when he has more than 6 months of his contract to run, with or without the permission of his current club.

I don't have any idea what conversations took place. I am saying "must have" because in order to comply with the rules, this is what must have happened. 

What? :blink:

How does any transfer ever happen then? How have Ross County told Ian McShane and Martin Woods they can go if they can find a club? Of course players under more than 6 months contract can talk to other clubs with the permission of their present club.

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

How do any transfers happen then?

Clubs make an approach first. The player is not allowed to speak to another club until his current club have given permission for him to speak to them, after the approach has been made. In Baird's case, if I remember correctly, he left and was then signed by Falkirk. They didn't make an approach to the club to sign him.

I worded the previous post incorrectly, which is why I deleted it. Of course he can speak to them with permission, but he is not allowed to speak to them before an approach has been made to his current club.

Just now, Flash said:

Clubs make an approach first. The player is not allowed to speak to another club until his current club have given permission for him to speak to them, after the approach has been made. In Baird's case, if I remember correctly, he left and was then signed by Falkirk. They didn't make an approach to the club to sign him.

I worded the previous post incorrectly, which is why I deleted it. Of course he can speak to them with permission, but he is not allowed to speak to them before an approach has been made to his current club.

OK. So how do you know Falkirk didnt approach Queens and ask permission?

I'll save you the bother of typing ... you dont

Guest Flash
3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

OK. So how do you know Falkirk didnt approach Queens and ask permission?

I'll save you the bother of typing ... you dont

Because we were told at the time that he had asked for his contract to be terminated and then he joined Falkirk. If Falkirk approached Queens and asked for permission to speak to him with a view to signing him, then Queens transferred a player to their main rival for a play-off spot. I didn't think they would knowingly do that, especially as he wasn't replaced. But, you could be right. I just ruled it out as inconceivable and not in line with how the news was broken at the time on the OS. 

Martin is an excellent addition for Queens, by far the best keeper on show last season.

Regarding Robinson, club legend for his heroics in the Double winning season. But his behaviour in matches is questionable. Take you back to the Gus era, away to Dundee and he decides to take on three Dundee players from his box until he reaches the half way line. Madness.

His continuing antics with opposition players and time wasting, on some occasions this season has started in the FIRST half, are enough to merit he shouldn't be first choice goalkeeper.

Liking the business Naysmith is doing so far, hope he keeps it up.

Are you not aware that most goalies have an eccentric streak in them - it's been going on since football began.

Martin's dad being one of the most noted in Scottish football.

They all do it.  I was speaking to an Ayr fan the other day and he was saying that Martin tried to play out against Harkins this season and was dispossessed at the edge of his box.

Doesn't mean he is a bad 'keeper or an idiot.  They all have a 'rush of blood' from time to time.

Employing your criteria, he wouldn't be first choice either !

Edited by Nithsdale Wanderer
afterthought

52 minutes ago, euanQOS said:

Martin is an excellent addition for Queens, by far the best keeper on show last season.

Regarding Robinson, club legend for his heroics in the Double winning season. But his behaviour in matches is questionable. Take you back to the Gus era, away to Dundee and he decides to take on three Dundee players from his box until he reaches the half way line. Madness.

His continuing antics with opposition players and time wasting, on some occasions this season has started in the FIRST half, are enough to merit he shouldn't be first choice goalkeeper.

Liking the business Naysmith is doing so far, hope he keeps it up.

Martin comes with a decent cv some decent clubs but not many games.

Screenshot_20170525-135006.png

I know it's all been said, but Aldo really is an absolutely superb signing for you lot. He's as complete a 'keeper as I've seen with us, and genuinely has no major weaknesses.

He's massive in real life. Almost Schmeichel-esque in the way he's built, but that doesn't seem to have hampered his agility any. His reactions are sublime, he's capable of pulling off massive saves at big moments (see 2-2 v Dundee United in April where he pulled off a mental save from Simon Murray, and we equalised a minute later) and he's excellent with the ball at his feet (unless it's on his weak foot against Ayr). The wind gets pretty strong down at the Rock, and it took Stephen Grindlay a wee while to perfect his kicking into it, but Martin was a natural. He just brings with him an air of confidence, and you never really feel in any doubt that he knows what he's doing.

I don't know if it's his agent, his personality or what, but he really should be playing at a higher level, and should have had a far better career than he has. There are quite a few Premiership regulars that he's better than (guys like Samson, Fon Williams etc), and he'd certainly get into almost every team in this league.

Good luck to him. The move might've came about in a pretty odd way, but he's been an absolute pleasure to watch. I genuinely enjoyed watching him play, and that's not something you can say about a 'keeper very often.

Huge task for us to replace him now.

As an aside, given you've taken our most creative player and our best player, can someone kidnap Dale Hilson and not release him until he's signed a deal with us plz.

They all do it.  I was speaking to an Ayr fan the other day and he was saying that Martin tried to play out against Harkins this season and was dispossessed at the edge of his box.

That was quite literally the only time he tried that the whole season.

In terms of a keeper he's very much sensible and doesn't tend to try anything daft. Unlike Robinson who is absolutely notorious for trying daft shite.

10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I know it's all been said, but Aldo really is an absolutely superb signing for you lot. He's as complete a 'keeper as I've seen with us, and genuinely has no major weaknesses.

He's massive in real life. Almost Schmeichel-esque in the way he's built, but that doesn't seem to have hampered his agility any. His reactions are sublime, he's capable of pulling off massive saves at big moments (see 2-2 v Dundee United in April where he pulled off a mental save from Simon Murray, and we equalised a minute later) and he's excellent with the ball at his feet (unless it's on his weak foot against Ayr). The wind gets pretty strong down at the Rock, and it took Stephen Grindlay a wee while to perfect his kicking into it, but Martin was a natural. He just brings with him an air of confidence, and you never really feel in any doubt that he knows what he's doing.

I don't know if it's his agent, his personality or what, but he really should be playing at a higher level, and should have had a far better career than he has. There are quite a few Premiership regulars that he's better than (guys like Samson, Fon Williams etc), and he'd certainly get into almost every team in this league.

Good luck to him. The move might've came about in a pretty odd way, but he's been an absolute pleasure to watch. I genuinely enjoyed watching him play, and that's not something you can say about a 'keeper very often.

Huge task for us to replace him now.

As an aside, given you've taken our most creative player and our best player, can someone kidnap Dale Hilson and not release him until he's signed a deal with us plz.

Sounds great looking forward to seeing him 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Indeed Lee indeed. Having great memories has nothing to do with it, it's how you perform now that matters. I don't get this view that just because you were part of a good team a few years ago (in a lower division btw) that you have a lifetime exemption from criticism. I sincerely doubt Robinson will be first choice next season, Martin was widely regarded as one of the best keepers in the division, but if he is then he has to concentrate more on his goalkeeping duties and forget the stupid antics. 

As I said Lee didnt have any competion last season for his Position. Having now signed Martin he has competion for the No1 Jersey and he will thrive on that competition. its now up to Robbo and Martin to fight for that Jersey.

2 minutes ago, Queens til I Die said:

As I said Lee didnt have any competion last season for his Position. Having now signed Martin he has competion for the No1 Jersey and he will thrive on that competition. its now up to Robbo and Martin to fight for that Jersey.

There's not a chance Martin has signed to be a number 2. He'll be your first choice next season (barring injury).