The Queen of the South thread

32 minutes ago, The-coo-shed said:

I remember applauding Jamie Adams when he came on (or off) as a sub for Ayr against us this season. Absolute Queens legend and he got a few boos.

While I wouldn't boo him I'm not so sure a few loan spells and can't be more than 30/40 games could ever be described as a legend. 

I dont get the boo'ing of certain former players, Baird yes but Nicky Clark, Cammy Bell and Jamie Macdonald are very strange indeed. All 3 played parts in massive games/seasons in our history and had highly successful spells on the whole. 

10 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

While I wouldn't boo him I'm not so sure a few loan spells and can't be more than 30/40 games could ever be described as a legend. 

I dont get the boo'ing of certain former players, Baird yes but Nicky Clark, Cammy Bell and Jamie Macdonald are very strange indeed. All 3 played parts in massive games/seasons in our history and had highly successful spells on the whole. 

I think you to have bear in mind that only the majority of people are normal and level headed , but not all

There's some lunatics out there

Edited by Besty

21 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I dont get the booing of Baird. He wasnt playing but kept his head down, asked for a move and got it. Kerr was the one who orchestrated a dressing room fight to get out of his contract. 

23 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Cammy Bell and Jamie MacDonald have attended functions in support of the club and donated signed shirts, gloves, etc every time there's an auction for anything too. Nicky Clark in his Rangers time, especially the first season after his departure, used to come and watch us when he wasn't playing at the same time and that was after his dad had moved on to Kilmarnock. None of them have done anything to warrant abuse either.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Flash
33 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I dont get the booing of Baird. He wasnt playing but kept his head down, asked for a move and got it. Kerr was the one who orchestrated a dressing room fight to get out of his contract. 

How could Baird ask for a move when he still had more than 18 months of his contract to run and the transfer window wasn't open? If he was asking for a move, that would mean he knew he had somewhere to move to. And if he knew he had somewhere to move to, that would mean somebody had made an approach, which is against the rules. So, he must have asked for his contract to be terminated, without knowing whether or not he had anywhere to go. That isn't asking for a move. That is asking to be made unemployed.

Edited by Flash

The level of disrespect being shown to Lee Robinson is absolutely appalling. 
People have very short memories it seems. 
There are numerous occasions when he made superb saves in the season just gone to either keep us in games or to avoid a real drubbing.
I just don't understand some 'so called' football fans who can't wait to condemn their own players.
Moreover, no-one from that glorious double-winning squad should ever be subjected to any stick whatsoever.
I was disgusted to hear Nicky Clark being abused when returning with Rangers.  Perhaps though that may have been down to the vile Celtic/Rangers divide and/or the troublemaking group that attached themselves at that time - I believe Jamie McDonald also took some stick in the Cup QF with Falkirk though I have heard him and Cammy Bell being well received on the whole by genuine fans. I guess, as usual, it's the moronic minority that let us and the Club down.  Our former players should always be shown the respect they deserve.

He has frustrated the fans this season. Been very hot and cold in his performances. He has had some brilliant saves and also a few howlers. I'm sure we all seen the video on social media of his accurate kicking and first touch yet in more than a few games he was firing kicks straight out of play. Rangers game springs to mind. His antics with opposition players were unnecessary. Overall he is a good keeper and more than competent for this league but there have been many moments of frustration.

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

Fair enough. Maybe it's just that 2007 season that sticks in the mind. He was crucial in keeping us up that season.

12 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

He has frustrated the fans this season. Been very hot and cold in his performances. He has had some brilliant saves and also a few howlers. I'm sure we all seen the video on social media of his accurate kicking and first touch yet in more than a few games he was firing kicks straight out of play. Rangers game springs to mind. His antics with opposition players were unnecessary. Overall he is a good keeper and more than competent for this league but there have been many moments of frustration.

^^^ This sums up a lot of supporters feelings as regards Robinson. If he concentrated on doing his job without the need for turning it into a sideshow he probably wouldn't get the negative reviews. The fact he is the "goalkeeper coach" with the responsibility that entails, he should be setting an example to younger keepers.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Baird plays with a style that rubs people up, its not pretty but he wouldn't have had a lasting career if he didn't play like he did. I doubt he's particularly bothered whether people want to spent their energy booing him or most footballers when they play at an opposition ground.

As for Robinson, the same antics were  there 4/5 years ago and nobody was complaining then. He's an alright goalkeeper whose flaws are much more prominent at this level. He makes the ordinary seem difficult and the extraordinary seem easy. He is this seasons Queens team personified, with that mix of flashiness, nostalgia and mediocrity. I'm not doing cartwheels for his departure but if we do in fact get someone better then fair enough.

1 hour ago, The-coo-shed said:

Fair enough. Maybe it's just that 2007 season that sticks in the mind. He was crucial in keeping us up that season.

I agree he was key in the great escape season but so was Stevie Murray and I genuinely would find it difficult to call him a queens legend. 

Some fans Do indeed have short memories indeed. Some of the abuse Robbo received during last season was nothing short of a disgrace. He will relish the challenge for the no1 jersey. Whoever the manager brings in hes going nowhere Lee signed a 2 year deal last summer. It wasnt his doing last season he wasnt challenged for his jersey.

20 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I agree he was key in the great escape season but so was Stevie Murray and I genuinely would find it difficult to call him a queens legend. 

Adams kept on coming back despite having his career totally derailed by injury coming from his 2nd or 3rd spell here. The fact he took two years out and has just came back to this level after not long ago playing for Wigtown and Bladnoch is testament to the guy. 

1 hour ago, Flash said:

How could Baird ask for a move when he still had more than 18 months of his contract to run and the transfer window wasn't open? If he was asking for a move, that would mean he knew he had somewhere to move to. And if he knew he had somewhere to move to, that would mean somebody had made an approach, which is against the rules. So, he must have asked for his contract to be terminated, without knowing whether or not he had anywhere to go. That isn't asking for a move. That is asking to be made unemployed.

I dunno, but Im guessing it was something along the lines of "Im not happy here, if I can find another club can I go?"

A conversation that, Im pretty sure, happens on a regular basis across world football. Not a conversation thats worthy of then abusing the player when he comes back to play against you, particularly in comparison to Kerrs behaviour.

10 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Lee makes some great saves, but his continual stupid acts like kicking out at and running into opponents he is liable for a red card every game.

And yet picked up only a hand full of yellows last season, most of those for time wasting.

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I dunno, but Im guessing it was something along the lines of "Im not happy here, if I can find another club can I go?"

A conversation that, Im pretty sure, happens on a regular basis across world football. Not a conversation thats worthy of then abusing the player when he comes back to play against you, particularly in comparison to Kerrs behaviour.

And how would he go about finding another club given that it would have been against the rules for him to approach another club while he still had 18 months of his contract to run?

Edited by Flash

17 minutes ago, Queens til I Die said:

Some fans Do indeed have short memories indeed. Some of the abuse Robbo received during last season was nothing short of a disgrace. He will relish the challenge for the no1 jersey. Whoever the manager brings in hes going nowhere Lee signed a 2 year deal last summer. It wasnt his doing last season he wasnt challenged for his jersey.

Indeed Lee indeed. Having great memories has nothing to do with it, it's how you perform now that matters. I don't get this view that just because you were part of a good team a few years ago (in a lower division btw) that you have a lifetime exemption from criticism. I sincerely doubt Robinson will be first choice next season, Martin was widely regarded as one of the best keepers in the division, but if he is then he has to concentrate more on his goalkeeping duties and forget the stupid antics. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

And how would he go about finding another club given that it would have been against the rules to do so?

Erm, the same way ever other player whos under contract finds another club.

The same way Mark Millar signed for Livy the same day he was released by us in January. 

Guest Flash
Just now, Mr X said:

Erm, the same way ever other player whos under contract finds another club.

The same way Mark Millar signed for Livy the same day he was released by us in January. 

Mark Millar didn't have 18 months of his contract left. And he was transferred during the window.

I'll ask again - how can a player find another club when he still has 18 months of his contract to run, without breaking any rules?

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Mark Millar didn't have 18 months of his contract left. And he was transferred during the window.

I'll ask again - how can a player find another club when he still has 18 months of his contract to run, without breaking any rules?

And the answer is the same - the same way that every other player does.

Millar was still under contract, the amount of time left is irrelevant. He left on the 6th January, Baird left on the 5th