The Queen of the South thread

Alright chaps, I was informed last week that you had signed Alan Martin from us. Naturally I was pretty gutted, but didn't want to post anything until it was made public.

Now it's in our local paper that Stevie Aitken has said he's signed for you lot, whilst he's saying he hasn't agreed a deal anywhere yet. Christ knows what's going on, but should you get him you'll have one of the outright best 'keepers in the league. He's been incredible for us, and if you only let me keep one player from our squad last season it would've been him. He's the best 'keeper I've seen at the Rock and, to be brutally honest, could be playing at a higher level than this.

He kept us in the league, and cleaned up at our POTY night. Take good care of him for us :(

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15302954.Goalkeeper_Alan_Martin_and_manager_Stevie_Aitken_at_odds_over_shot_stopper_s_future/

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Alright chaps, I was informed last week that you had signed Alan Martin from us. Naturally I was pretty gutted, but didn't want to post anything until it was made public.

Now it's in our local paper that Stevie Aitken has said he's signed for you lot, whilst he's saying he hasn't agreed a deal anywhere yet. Christ knows what's going on, but should you get him you'll have one of the outright best 'keepers in the league. He's been incredible for us, and if you only let me keep one player from our squad last season it would've been him. He's the best 'keeper I've seen at the Rock and, to be brutally honest, could be playing at a higher level than this.

He kept us in the league, and cleaned up at our POTY night. Take good care of him for us :(

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15302954.Goalkeeper_Alan_Martin_and_manager_Stevie_Aitken_at_odds_over_shot_stopper_s_future/

To say Id be delighted with that, if it happens, would be a huge understatement. I dont have a massive problem with Robinson but Martin is top keeper at this level.

If we sign Gunning too I cant see us conceding a goal all season :lol:

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

To say Id be delighted with that, if it happens, would be a huge understatement. I dont have a massive problem with Robinson but Martin is top keeper at this level.

If we sign Gunning too I cant see us conceding a goal all season :lol:

Martin and Dobbie in the same team :wub:

Considering just moving to Dumfries tbh

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

So you're telling us that we've signed a goalkeeper, that it isn't Craig Samson and he actually isn't a proper diddy keeper. 

Spoiler

giphy.gif?response_id=5923fd79482bb697e9

We'd be delighted to welcome any Sonhamers on board. We do our bit in losing important games to keep Dumbarton up and being the only team in recent history to lose a cup game to them and you contribute by giving us all your good players. A fair swap IMO.

But already trying to shoe horn Rankin Jacobs and Tapping I'd hate to see the formation he'd try fit McShane in aswell
Id like him back but don't think it'll happen as centre midfield is one of our more covered positions

Everybody sees things differently but I don't think any of the 3 names mentioned above should necessarily be certain starters. To have a team capable of challenging (even for play off) you need a midfield that can control games, be tough and resolute,show a decent level of creativity and pitch in with a few goals. Tapping is a completely unknown quantity - I honestly have no idea if he can do a job for an entire season, the other two are both good honest pros but offer very little in an attacking sense. Of the 3 I would have kept Jacobs as a utility player and perhaps given Tapping a shorter term deal to prove his worth. Rankine is a no for me but many will disagree.Overall though we need a genuine playmaker in this area who can ensure that Dobbie gets the type of service that his talent demands.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Everybody sees things differently but I don't think any of the 3 names mentioned above should necessarily be certain starters. To have a team capable of challenging (even for play off) you need a midfield that can control games, be tough and resolute,show a decent level of creativity and pitch in with a few goals. Tapping is a completely unknown quantity - I honestly have no idea if he can do a job for an entire season, the other two are both good honest pros but offer very little in an attacking sense. Of the 3 I would have kept Jacobs as a utility player and perhaps given Tapping a shorter term deal to prove his worth. Rankine is a no for me but many will disagree.Overall though we need a genuine playmaker in this area who can ensure that Dobbie gets the type of service that his talent demands.

Ian McShane sounds perfect for that. Thing is will guys returning have the same level of hunger after failing to really set the heather on fire at a higher level? Now they have reached the stage where they are in the middle of their career and their dreams of making it at a good level are all but over so could go either way. If he shows the same form as his previous spell though we will have an excellent player at this level.

How many goals were scored from midfield last season with players we still have? I know Dom Thomas and Thomson chipped in with a few but can't think of many Jacobs got for example.

A big frustration of last season for me was how we seemed to rely on dobbie so much. This season coming more goals will need to come from throughout the team to take pressure off dobbie and lyle.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

How many goals were scored from midfield last season with players we still have? I know Dom Thomas and Thomson chipped in with a few but can't think of many Jacobs got for example.

Jacobs got 1. Tapping didn't get any (spent most of the season injured of course). Carmichael didn't get any. Rankin got 1.

Andrew Stirling got 3 for Dumbarton.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jacobs got 1. Tapping didn't get any (spent most of the season injured of course). Carmichael didn't get any. Rankin got 1.

Andrew Stirling got 3 for Dumbarton.

Tapping did get one. He shouldnt be penalised for an awful decision from the linesman

Guest Flash
14 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

A big frustration of last season for me was how we seemed to rely on dobbie so much. This season coming more goals will need to come from throughout the team to take pressure off dobbie and lyle.

According to the OS, in league games, Anderson, Millar, Jacobs and Rankin got 1 each. Thomas got 3 and Thomson got 4.

In the League Cup, Anderson and Pickard got 1 each and Anderson got another 1 in the Diddy Cup.

So, from the players we still have, the total from midfield for the season was 2. And the overall total was 14.

http://www.qosfc.com/stats