The Queen of the South thread

To be fair I think central midfield definitely needs strengthening. McManus may well not be the answer but in the game he did play against Dumbarton he actually passed the ball really well - probably the best range of passing from any of our midfielders this season. Unfortunately it coincided with one of our worst home results of the season and he didn't reappear.

For me Rankine is not the answer and while Jacobs is a real battler his passing is limited. If he is to be a starter we will need a genuine playmaker alongside him or we will see another prolonged instalment of hoofball.

If Tapping stays fit he'll be a massive player for us next season. He has good passing ability and has the vision as well. The worry with midfield next season is that Rankin is likely to start each week so it's a case of who fits in beside him. I've yet to decide what Rankin's role is. He goes missing for long periods of time too often for me.

Jacobs' passing is indeed limited as are the majority of DM's at this level. That's not what his game is all about so it's not a major issue. After this season's performances in there he has to be one of the first names on the sheet. The problem we have in midfield IMO is lack of creativity. I reckon if Tapping was pushed on he could do that role so for me I'd like a middle two of Jacobs and Tapping. Defensively we're covered in there but attacking wise I agree we could do with another body. Thomson on loan would be ideal but it just throws up the question of who to play in the middle.

Assuming he'll only be playing two CM's that is!

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We didn't need cover for RB as we had two RB's in Hamill and Mercer.

So Naysmith brings Mercer in to play RB then chooses to play our best CM there ahead of him. Rather than sign another DM he should have (should be) been looking at a RB instead.

FWIW my argument isn't focussed on slating Mercer or McManus it's questioning Naysmith's decisions.

Two right backs who didnt look up to it, certainly post Christmas. Maybe McManus became available and Naysmith chose to take a look at him, theres nothing to suggest there were right backs out there to bring in.

I agree with you that Jacobs best position is in the centre of midfield but he did pretty well at right back and I would say was our best option there in the latter stages of the season.

I've said the same thing about Rankin that others have posted. Im not sure what his role is and, for me, Tapping and Jacobs - or Thomson and one of Jacobs or Tapping - were a better combination. I agree, though, that Naysmiths midfield will be Rankin + AN Other(s)

Two right backs who didnt look up to it, certainly post Christmas. Maybe McManus became available and Naysmith chose to take a look at him, theres nothing to suggest there were right backs out there to bring in.
I agree with you that Jacobs best position is in the centre of midfield but he did pretty well at right back and I would say was our best option there in the latter stages of the season.
I've said the same thing about Rankin that others have posted. Im not sure what his role is and, for me, Tapping and Jacobs - or Thomson and one of Jacobs or Tapping - were a better combination. I agree, though, that Naysmiths midfield will be Rankin + AN Other(s)

I think Hamill got a bit of a harsh deal tbh. He wasn't going to win any awards and when against pace he was very worrying. But his performances at RB were, for the most part solid enough. Naysmith came in and obviously didn't like him so he disappeared.

For me I don't think we'd have been any weaker as a team with Hamill at RB ahead of Jacobs.

It really is shaping up to be a very tight looking league.

It's a real shame we didn't do even marginally better this season. That way we might not have had to have binned so many players, and confidence in Naysmith would have been higher. With less changes required the board could have maybe pushed the boat out a bit and had a right go next season.

With so many changes required though, I suspect we'll be in for another season of consolidation with fourth the height of our ambitions.

Very early days of course.

Might not be the end of the world. If we recruit well and the league does turn out to be tight all it will take is a first quarter to gel and a run towards the end. That could be good enough for top two.

Interesting that nobody so far thinks the MASSIVE club in our midst next season will run away with it. [emoji23]

Top three, I would guess, would be Falkirk, St. Mirren and one of Hamilton/Dundee United.

Our goal will be to compete for 4th along with Inverness, Morton and Dunfermline although Livi seem to be getting themselves sorted financially and may be a surprise package.

I have to say though, with Naysmith in charge, this is the least confident I have been about reaching the play-offs.

6 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Might not be the end of the world. If we recruit well and the league does turn out to be tight all it will take is a first quarter to gel and a run towards the end. That could be good enough for top two.

Interesting that nobody so far thinks the MASSIVE club in our midst next season will run away with it. emoji23.png

You could be right.  I'd be a lot happier though if we had 10 good players and needed 4 or 5 signings, than our current predicament of 4 or 5 good players and needing 10 signings.

You could be right.  I'd be a lot happier though if we had 10 good players and needed 4 or 5 signings, than our current predicament of 4 or 5 good players and needing 10 signings.

True but we do have the added advantage of simply having to build a decent solid team around Dobbie. We pretty much had this in the first, third and fourth quarters this season. Take an average of those quarters and we would have been well in the top 4.

If we succeed and Dobbie is fit all season we can aim very high. If he's injured at all 4th is probably the best we can hope for.

Given what seems to be widespread dissatisfaction with Lee Robinson - wholly unjustified in my opinion - I suspect there will be a clamour to sign up Craig Samson.

May not be a bad thing to have two experienced keepers vying with each other but would the budget be better spent on outfield players ?

2 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Given what seems to be widespread dissatisfaction with Lee Robinson - wholly unjustified in my opinion - I suspect there will be a clamour to sign up Craig Samson.

May not be a bad thing to have two experienced keepers vying with each other but would the budget be better spent on outfield players ?

I've never really got the whole Craig Samson thing. Seems to be rated by pundits, and the media, but not by fans of the clubs he's played for. Has a nasty habit of pushing the ball right to the feet of strikers.

There are far better 'keepers in this league already imo.

One ginger is enough .

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

What are you basing your assumption on that Queens will be clamouring to sign up Samson? We don't know what the Manager's opinion of Robinson is, and just because some fans are disappointed with his performances doesn't mean the Club share that view. With Atkinson gone we need a better backup than Leighfield I think,  but finances may dictate if we can bring in someone more experienced. Neither Samson or Robinson will be happy to warm the bench I would imagine. 

Just home from a day in Glasgow for meetings and happened to spot Naismith sat in a coffee spot with what looked like aidan nesbitt of Celtic and last years loan player Joe Thomson. Hopefully doing business.

If I was a betting man I'd bet Robbo isn't first choice keeper at Queens next season .......

Ah come on now, gizz a clue.

Lots of Championship players getting released the last few days at Falkirk + dunfermline wonder if we will see any end up at Queens, Mchugh for example.

I hope not. I wasn't a massive fan of him the first time around and don't think he would add much to our side tbh.

Just home from a day in Glasgow for meetings and happened to spot Naismith sat in a coffee spot with what looked like aidan nesbitt of Celtic and last years loan player Joe Thomson. Hopefully doing business.

Hopefully. But given this is only your second post I imagine there's a strong possibility you're another Rusty alias.

McHugh looks so much fitter and better now than when he was at us. Would certainly take him back. Can see us and various others targeting Andy Ryan. It is very regretful we didn't sign him when he was on trial but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Wouldn't be surprised if we were after Jordan Kirkpatrick from Alloa aswell. He has been an impressive creative outlet for them this season. Same with Willis Furtado and the other previous trialist from Stenny Mason Robertson who has earned rave reviews since march. More as a defender than up top though which is where he started off. Furtado is an exciting young winger from France who is inconsistent but at his age and given it was his 1st season in pro football he done really well. We are vying with a fair few others for Aidan Connolly. Would love it if we could sign Gavin Gunning as has been speculated. Has all the qualities you would want in a cb. Gotta love silly season

1 hour ago, Dg2020 said:

Did ye aye? I call shenanigans.

McHugh looks so much fitter and better now than when he was at us. Would certainly take him back. Can see us and various others targeting Andy Ryan. It is very regretful we didn't sign him when he was on trial but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Wouldn't be surprised if we were after Jordan Kirkpatrick from Alloa aswell. He has been an impressive creative outlet for them this season. Same with Willis Furtado and the other previous trialist from Stenny Mason Robertson who has earned rave reviews since march. More as a defender than up top though which is where he started off. Furtado is an exciting young winger from France who is inconsistent but at his age and given it was his 1st season in pro football he done really well. We are vying with a fair few others for Aidan Connolly. Would love it if we could sign Gavin Gunning as has been speculated. Has all the qualities you would want in a cb. Gotta love silly season

Furtado signed for Ayr according to there thread. Also read Robertson has got a trial at Kilmarnock.