The Queen of the South thread

Reilly's career has clearly taken a disappointing turn and sadly, it may well be that the peaks of it have already been reached.

There won't be many Queens fans though who wouldn't welcome him back.  Personally, I'd love to see it.

We have undoubtedly missed his work rate and his ability to press ball high up pitch. His lack of technical ability has sadly been found out a bit and I suspect that mid table Champ is about his level.

May be a good time to get him as he should have a big point to prove. Worth taking a chance with if he is prepared to accept that after a horrendous time at Pars we may just be his best available option.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Reilly's career has clearly taken a disappointing turn and sadly, it may well be that the peaks of it have already been reached.

There won't be many Queens fans though who wouldn't welcome him back.  Personally, I'd love to see it.

Reilly has had one bad season so I think your first sentence is perhaps a tad over-dramatic.  He's only just turned 24!

It clearly hasn't worked out for him at Dunfermline but these things happen.  As you say he would be welcomed back to Palmerston with open arms.  His harrying style would be a perfect foil for Dobbie, and perhaps working alongside him would improve his composure in front of goal which has always been his weakness.

I don't see it happening though.  I'd heard he was looking to find a move in England.

Reilly has had one bad season so I think your first sentence is perhaps a tad over-dramatic.  He's only just turned 24!
It clearly hasn't worked out for him at Dunfermline but these things happen.  As you say he would be welcomed back to Palmerston with open arms.  His harrying style would be a perfect foil for Dobbie, and perhaps working alongside him would improve his composure in front of goal which has always been his weakness.
I don't see it happening though.  I'd heard he was looking to find a move in England.

He could stop off at us for a season on the way down [emoji106]

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It clearly hasn't worked out for him at Dunfermline but these things happen.  

You can't say that his season at Hearts was successful either.

He obviously had a tough job on his hands to become established in his position at a club of that size, but if it had gone well, he wouldn't have been farmed out.

I'm not having a go at him, but it's gone badly since he left us and he wouldn't be the first player who struggles to recapture earlier form.

Despite that, I'd be genuinely excited to see him back at us.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You can't say that his season at Hearts was successful either.

He obviously had a tough job on his hands to become established in his position at a club of that size, but if it had gone well, he wouldn't have been farmed out.

I'm not having a go at him, but it's gone badly since he left us and he wouldn't be the first player who struggles to recapture earlier form.

Despite that, I'd be genuinely excited to see him back at us.

I'm sure I've argued this point in the past but his first season at Hearts was hardly a disaster.  He scored 4 goals in 28 appearances at a level he had never played at before.  He was hardly prolific in his time with us, his best season he scored 15.  I'd say playing 28 games was a success in itself.

I believe he's been told he isn't in Cathro's plans so I'd expect him to move onto pastures new.  Not being able to establish himself at one of the biggest clubs in the country is hardly a disgrace though.  So I stand by my original comment, he has had one bad season.  Yes it is his most recent season but still, I very much doubt it is an indicator of a downward spiral.  There were never any problems with his attitude whilst at Queens so if he finds a club at the right level for his ability I'm sure he will find his form again.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that neither Reilly or Carmichael were able to establish themselves when they left us.  Neither are good enough for Hearts or Hibs and I'm fairly sure I would have said as much at the time.  That doesn't make either of them bad players, just not good enough for that level.  Both should be commended for giving it a go though, although I suspect in the case of both it was a bit of a "no-brainer".

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm sure I've argued this point in the past but his first season at Hearts was hardly a disaster.  He scored 4 goals in 28 appearances at a level he had never played at before.  He was hardly prolific in his time with us, his best season he scored 15.  I'd say playing 28 games was a success in itself.

I believe he's been told he isn't in Cathro's plans so I'd expect him to move onto pastures new.  Not being able to establish himself at one of the biggest clubs in the country is hardly a disgrace though.  So I stand by my original comment, he has had one bad season.  Yes it is his most recent season but still, I very much doubt it is an indicator of a downward spiral.  There were never any problems with his attitude whilst at Queens so if he finds a club at the right level for his ability I'm sure he will find his form again.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that neither Reilly or Carmichael were able to establish themselves when they left us.  Neither are good enough for Hearts or Hibs and I'm fairly sure I would have said as much at the time.  That doesn't make either of them bad players, just not good enough for that level.  Both should be commended for giving it a go though, although I suspect in the case of both it was a bit of a "no-brainer".

Which will be why  I didn't describe what happened as either a disaster or a disgrace.

I believe he's been told he isn't in Cathro's plans so I'd expect him to move onto pastures new.  Not being able to establish himself at one of the biggest clubs in the country is hardly a disgrace though.  So I stand by my original comment, he has had one bad season.  Yes it is his most recent season but still, I very much doubt it is an indicator of a downward spiral.  

Scoring 4 goals, with two of those being penalties is absolutely shocking. He's scored 3 goals from open play in the past two seasons, it's not like he's a "provider" either, that's the very definition of a downward spiral.

Our latest signing M'voto has more goals and he's a fucking centre back.

Signed up with the Pars earlier this week. M'voto likes scoring at Palmerston. Two goals in two appearances.

Not a bad return for a CB. He should maybe consider changing positions because he's gutter as a defender.

ETA. Hiya Rusty.

Re Gavin Reilly, I have a mate who is a Hearts fan who really rated him. His work-rate was first class, and my mate preferred him to the small army of highly paid foreigners, who perhaps had more skill but conspicuously didn't try hard. 

I have other friends up here who are Hearts fans who had forgotten he was still signed with them, so he didn't impress everyone!

I suspect it is a confidence thing, Dunfermline fans understandably don't rate him as he achieved nothing with them.

Personally, I would welcome him back.