The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As solid a CB you'll get at that level tbh. Great leader and wins almost every header he goes for.

Is he still good enough for our level in the Championship? I don,t  think so.

His best days have gone but he was a good defender and captain for us always gave 100%

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Is he still good enough for our level in the Championship? I don,t  think so.

His best days have gone but he was a good defender and captain for us always gave 100%

He didn`t have his best season but he`s only 31 (32 in July) and has shown enough previously at this level. I`d have kept him but I`m not that bothered he`s gone.

The key thing is for Naysmith to get in players who are better than Higgins and Dowie. Time will tell. 

I'm not entirely convinced the long ball tactic was necessarily a planned strategy by Naysmith.  Certainly far less so than it was under Skelton who signed tall wingers specifically for that role.  We often tried to play it out from the back, but none of our defenders are especially confident on the ball and would panic and hoof it long.  Higgins, Brownlie and Marshall were all particularly guilty of this.  Dowie less so, but he would just play a square pass to one of the aforementioned who would then launch it.  Our best run of form coincided with the combination of Hamill and Anderson down the right hand side who seemed to build up a good understanding, and largely got the balance right between, overlapping/covering each other etc.  Confident full-backs are key to playing out from the back.  Marshall isn't the most confident on the ball and has never had a consistent left-midfielder with which to build up an understanding with.  It is key we address this in the summer.

We also suffer from a lack of a "Mark Kerr" type of player who is happy to drop off and take the ball from the centre-backs.  Jacobs was usually the deepest midfielder, but his passing is terrible and he can't really take men on so he is another who panics then launches it.  Rankin is the closest we have, but he has been guilty of some sloppy passing, and I can think of several occasions where he's got the ball caught in his feet trying to take men on, and then given it away.

Naysmith has shown a liking for an "old fashioned big man/wee man, 4-4-facking-2" system but it remains to be seen if that is his lineup of choice, or a case of going back to basics and seeing the season out.  It's possible to play that system without constantly punting it up the park, so it's not as if the players' hands are tied.  They need to take some responsibility themselves.  Treating the ball like a hot potato is the lazy and easy option as you pass the responsibility onto someone else.

The worst of it is, in Stephen Dobbie we have a player with sublime close control.  Rather than launching it high the minute you feel under pressure, a more preferable option is launch it low in his general direction because nine times out of ten he will control it.  Maybe not quite that much, but more often than he'll win a header.

Hopefully with a fresh start, and no imminent threat of relegation the players will have more confidence and try and express themselves a bit more (I hate that phrase but I can't think of a better one to use).  I think most fans would prefer to see a player try something that doesn't come off than just pass the buck and choose the easy option all the time.  I certainly would anyway.

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I was trying to think of when Dykes played out wide under Naysmith. I couldnt think of any games.

There was a stretch in around March where Dykes was out wide and Dobbie up top on his own. He was definitely out wide at Dunfermline away during that run and possibly the Morton televised game.

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not entirely convinced the long ball tactic was necessarily a planned strategy by Naysmith.  Certainly far less so than it was under Skelton who signed tall wingers specifically for that role.  We often tried to play it out from the back, but none of our defenders are especially confident on the ball and would panic and hoof it long.  Higgins, Brownlie and Marshall were all particularly guilty of this.  Dowie less so, but he would just play a square pass to one of the aforementioned who would then launch it.  Our best run of form coincided with the combination of Hamill and Anderson down the right hand side who seemed to build up a good understanding, and largely got the balance right between, overlapping/covering each other etc.  Confident full-backs are key to playing out from the back.  Marshall isn't the most confident on the ball and has never had a consistent left-midfielder with which to build up an understanding with.  It is key we address this in the summer.

We also suffer from a lack of a "Mark Kerr" type of player who is happy to drop off and take the ball from the centre-backs.  Jacobs was usually the deepest midfielder, but his passing is terrible and he can't really take men on so he is another who panics then launches it.  Rankin is the closest we have, but he has been guilty of some sloppy passing, and I can think of several occasions where he's got the ball caught in his feet trying to take men on, and then given it away.

Naysmith has shown a liking for an "old fashioned big man/wee man, 4-4-facking-2" system but it remains to be seen if that is his lineup of choice, or a case of going back to basics and seeing the season out.  It's possible to play that system without constantly punting it up the park, so it's not as if the players' hands are tied.  They need to take some responsibility themselves.  Treating the ball like a hot potato is the lazy and easy option as you pass the responsibility onto someone else.

The worst of it is, in Stephen Dobbie we have a player with sublime close control.  Rather than launching it high the minute you feel under pressure, a more preferable option is launch it low in his general direction because nine times out of ten he will control it.  Maybe not quite that much, but more often than he'll win a header.

Hopefully with a fresh start, and no imminent threat of relegation the players will have more confidence and try and express themselves a bit more (I hate that phrase but I can't think of a better one to use).  I think most fans would prefer to see a player try something that doesn't come off than just pass the buck and choose the easy option all the time.  I certainly would anyway.

I agree with all of this, apart from the very last part. Some of the groans and shouts from the stand when a player passes the ball sideways or backwards are cringeworthy

2 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

There was a stretch in around March where Dykes was out wide and Dobbie up top on his own. He was definitely out wide at Dunfermline away during that run and possibly the Morton televised game.

You're right - two games I didnt make

ETA - going by the reports on the website, it was just those two games

Edited by Mr X

Guest Flash

I don't agree that we tried to play it out from the back. Every time the "goalkeeper" got it, whether from pass backs, or goal kicks or whatever, it was launched. I don't think we can tell whether this was because Naysmith didn't trust the defenders or whether it was his preferred tactic. I think some East Fife fans also noted his preference for hoofball, though.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Why do you always knock 4-4-2, what's your option?

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I don't agree that we tried to play it out from the back. Every time the "goalkeeper" got it, whether from pass backs, or goal kicks or whatever, it was launched. I don't think we can tell whether this was because Naysmith didn't trust the defenders or whether it was his preferred tactic. I think some East Fife fans also noted his preference for hoofball, though.

"T*sser"

8 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Why do you always knock 4-4-2, what's your option?

I wasn't knocking 4-4-2.  I was pointing out that you can play that system without it resorting to "high balls for Dykes to flick-on".

I don't have a preferred system, I'll leave the complex tactical stuff to Jonathan Wilson.  First and foremost you play to the strengths you've got and secondly, the controversial bit, you take the opposition into consideration.

I think the bit where I differ with some posters is that in a game where we are clearly losing the midfield battle I would happily sacrifice a striker for another midfielder to try and get a grip on things.  To some people that would be deemed blasphemy and they would much rather lose having "given it a go".  My option may well still see us losing the game, but I like the notion that the manager has been proactive and tried to do something about it.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Decent post, I've said this before but I doubt Naismith will see the season out,

His signings and those he brought in on loan, have been indifferent.

one think Mercer will HR a first team regular, Rankin latter's to deceive and I doubt will be a regular.

He managed to spoil Thompson and Thomas.

Lost the support of Higgins,Dowie ,Hamillm.

Saw no improvement in Danny, dumped Hilson after rushing him back from injury.

His record since taking over was sacking material  to previous managers.

There's been no improvement in the style of play,

the players were the same that had a great start to the season and he couldn't even instill confidence into them.

his  tactics are poor and at best even when we are being overrun he keeps the same shape and changes personnel.

Get Naismith hooked before he ruins the team for  next season as I don't see us managing to avoid a relegation battle

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, Besty said:

"T*sser"

Will you be supporting Queens next season or does it depend on whether Coco is still with us?

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Will you be supporting Queens next season or does it depend on whether Coco is still with us?

Ha , whether Naysmith stays it goes I'll still be there.

How about you buddie, I assume you do go to the games.

Decent post, I've said this before but I doubt Naismith will see the season out,
His signings and those he brought in on loan, have been indifferent.
one think Mercer will HR a first team regular, Rankin latter's to deceive and I doubt will be a regular.
He managed to spoil Thompson and Thomas.
Lost the support of Higgins,Dowie ,Hamillm.
Saw no improvement in Danny, dumped Hilson after rushing him back from injury.
His record since taking over was sacking material  to previous managers.
There's been no improvement in the style of play,
the players were the same that had a great start to the season and he couldn't even instill confidence into them.
his  tactics are poor and at best even when we are being overrun he keeps the same shape and changes personnel.
Get Naismith hooked before he ruins the team for  next season as I don't see us managing to avoid a relegation battle

Ha , whether Naysmith stays it goes I'll still be there.
How about you buddie, I assume you do go to the games.

Have you spilled fizzy juice on your keyboard?

3 hours ago, Flash said:

I disagree, at times we did play from the back. I think Cammy has it spot on

Any Raith players worth having at Queens?

Would take Barr though I can't stand the fud and would be more pleased if the only offer he got was from Raith. Vaughan as well. I doubt either will be heading our way though.