The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, DYNAMOGAFFER said:

I've heard that Higgins may be going to Livingston but this could just be a rumour.

Reason I was asking is because us, Dumbarton and Clyde are being linked to him in today's sun. 

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Reason I was asking is because us, Dumbarton and Clyde are being linked to him in today's sun. 

I thought the papers got their transfer rumours from here. Not the other way round.

Have heard we are one of many looking at Aidan Connolly from York. They have just been relegated to the league below the conference in England. Might be the winger we need. Not fussed on Dan. Apart from his first game against Alloa he didn't at any time look the same player. I think it might be a confidence thing with his injury though.

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Have heard we are one of many looking at Aidan Connolly from York. They have just been relegated to the league below the conference in England. Might be the winger we need. Not fussed on Dan. Apart from his first game against Alloa he didn't at any time look the same player. I think it might be a confidence thing with his injury though.

Only 5ft 5 ins tall. Might not be ideal for our hugely successful long high kick out to a wide player strategy.

Only 5ft 5 ins tall. Might not be ideal for our hugely successful long high kick out to a wide player strategy.

That was Skeltons tactic. Naysmith has played Thomas, carmichael, Thomson, hilson and Dobbie out wide. He's already offered carmichael a contract and signed Stirling.

I don't think he's played a tall wide player at any point

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

That was Skeltons tactic. Naysmith has played Thomas, carmichael, Thomson, hilson and Dobbie out wide. He's already offered carmichael a contract and signed Stirling.

Lyndon Dykes.

That only makes his persistence with the long ball even more baffling. Granted it isn't wide like Skelton, but how many times did we see Lyle and Dobbie easily beaten to a header. Though they still tried harder than Dykes who has half a foot on them.

He'll go back to Dundee United with McKinnon as it was McKinnon who signed him for us. If not, then I'd like to think he'll consider coming back here if we stay up considering he had his best 6 months of his Career at Starks Park.
Did alright at raith if memory serves me correct. Always thought he was decent at Dundee United

He was outstanding for us. Skipped in and out of players at ease last year. Him and Longridge coming in, in January was the reason we went the second half of the season unbeaten apart from 2 games against Rangers.

Guest Flash
12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That only makes his persistence with the long ball even more baffling. Granted it isn't wide like Skelton, but how many times did we see Lyle and Dobbie easily beaten to a header. Though they still tried harder than Dykes who has half a foot on them.

He also has half a foot on the ground when he jumps.

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I was only joking and you have a valid point in terms of personnel. That said one of our alternative tactics seemed to be to hit high balls to Dobbie who was in a lone striker role. Not a great step forward in all honesty.

Pretty sure Naysmith played Dykes wide on occasion.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I was only joking and you have a valid point. That said one of our alternative tactics seemed to be to hit high balls to Dobbie who was in a lone striker role. Not a great step forward in all honesty.

Pretty sure Naysmith played Dykes wide on occasion but you point largely stands nonetheless.

You were right, though. We may not have had tall wide players, but the ball was still often played wide from goal kicks etc, with one of the forwards going out wide to try to win it. Hence why so many of Coco's kickouts ended up in the stand.

Just now, Flash said:

You were right, though. We may not have had tall wide players, but the ball was still often played wide from goal kicks etc, with one of the forwards going out wide to try to win it. Hence why so many of Coco's kickouts ended up in the stand.

Yep fair point. Our persistence with the high ball whether out wide or up the middle was as baffling as it was painful to watch.

35 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Lyndon Dykes.

I was trying to think of when Dykes played out wide under Naysmith. I couldnt think of any games.

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolutely. I wasnt trying to justify the long ball tactic

19 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I was only joking and you have a valid point in terms of personnel. That said one of our alternative tactics seemed to be to hit high balls to Dobbie who was in a lone striker role. Not a great step forward in all honesty.

Pretty sure Naysmith played Dykes wide on occasion.

Ah, fair enough!

As I said, I wasnt sure about Dykes. He might have been moved out wide late on but even then I cant think of any games where he was. Pretty sure he hasnt started any games out wide under Naysmith

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

He was right about the ball being played long out wide but, as you say, its the forwards who go out wide to challenge. Thats not a "Naysmith tactic" either. Its one he uses but so have several managers before him

I've heard that Higgins may be going to Livingston but this could just be a rumour.

That wouldn't surprise me - easily good enough for Championship football.

It will be interesting to see what Danny decides to do. If he is fit and is played on his natural side he could ensure that we have decent options in the wide areas. He is certainly a much better player than the one we saw this season.
If he turns us down I would be very surprised if a bigger club than us comes in for him but you never know.