The Queen of the South thread

I would like to thank both Higgins and Dowie for their sterling efforts over the years. You could never fault their effort and looking back I will remember two doughty performers who gave their all every game. Good luck to them both.

Given we're now at the stage of the year where we need to try and pass the time without the fitba fix I was bored earlier and decided to see how we got on against the other sides in our league this season points wise:-

Hibs - For: 1 Against: 10
Falkirk - For: 5 Against: 5
United - For: 5 Against: 5
Morton - For: 3 Against: 9
Pars - For: 5 Against: 5
Saints - For: 6 Against: 6
Sons - For: 4 Against: 7
Rovers - For: 7 Against: 4
Ayr - For: 7 Against: 4

So Hibs, Morton and Dumbarton have got the better of us and we've only got the better of Rovers and Ayr. Sums up our season pretty perfectly: Bang Average!

Also re-looked at the points Dobbie's goals helped us pick up. Without his goals we'd have been 11 points worse off which would have given us a total of 32 points. Given Ayr finished on 33, Dobbie's goals have effectively saved us from relegation. I imagine the BOD had hoped his signing would have seen us nearer the top but even though that wasn't meant to be his signing has clearly been priceless anyway.

I'm not really surprised that Queens never gained more than 7 points against any other league club and I was thinking that without Dobbie’s goals Queens would have been relegated. St Mirren have released Andy Webster, so I wonder if Queens will go for him.

5 minutes ago, DOONHAMERS1919 said:

I'm not really surprised that Queens never gained more than 7 points against any other league club and I was thinking that without Dobbie’s goals Queens would have been relegated. St Mirren have released Andy Webster, so I wonder if Queens will go for him.

Let's hope not. 

He is absolutely finished. 

If you require any evidence head to the highlights of our visit in September and watch just how slow he is. 

Edited by Broony88

If we are even thinking about targeting players like Webster, who struggled badly in another Championship side, or any from East Fife, etc, it would show a complete lack of ambition by the Manager/BOD. There are good players in the lower divisions but it's a gamble if they can make the step up right away (Mercer as an example). If we don't at least try and bring in some quality players, especially in defence, I can see us relying on Dobbie's goals again to survive in this division. The Manager certainly has a bit of work to do in the summer and let's hope the BOD give him the backing (financially at least) that is needed.

Guest Flash
9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Also re-looked at the points Dobbie's goals helped us pick up. Without his goals we'd have been 11 points worse off which would have given us a total of 32 points. Given Ayr finished on 33, Dobbie's goals have effectively saved us from relegation. I imagine the BOD had hoped his signing would have seen us nearer the top but even though that wasn't meant to be his signing has clearly been priceless anyway.

Difficult to measure that exactly because even in games where his goals were not the absolute difference, we may not have scored the others had he not been playing, either due to direct assists or becuase he occupied defenders. Then you'd need to take off the goals that somebody else could have scored if they had been playing instead and factor in the games we could have taken points from had he not missed some good chances.

However, the point stands that without him in the team, would probably have gone straight down.

You could try the same exercise for Robinson and the points his mistakes have cost us. I'll start you off with the recent ones, just off the top of my head. 1 point v Dunfermline, 2 v Falkirk, 1 v Dumbarton, 2 v Raith....so there's 6 right there. Imagine if we had been in a relegation battle in the last few weeks. His mistakes could have cost us a place in the league, instead of just ensuring we missed out on £000s.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Also re-looked at the points Dobbie's goals helped us pick up. Without his goals we'd have been 11 points worse off which would have given us a total of 32 points. Given Ayr finished on 33, Dobbie's goals have effectively saved us from relegation.

Yes, because if Dobbie hadn't been playing we'd just have lined up with ten men and took on the opposition that way. There's no chance someone else playing instead might at least have scored or contributed to the odd goal or two.

:wacko:

Yes, because if Dobbie hadn't been playing we'd just have lined up with ten men and took on the opposition that way. There's no chance someone else playing instead might at least have scored or contributed to the odd goal or two.
:wacko:

I suppose so. Dykes would certainly have scored at least half of them :ph34r:

Good available centre backs are very hard to find in Scottish football. That's why I found it surprising the competent Higgins was released. Having looked at who I think we could target I came up with Stuart Findlay, Conrad Balatoni, Paul Watson, Ben Gordon and Fiacre Kelleher. Otherwise I don't think there are too many others out there connected with Scottish football who we could get.

I assume Naysmith has spoken to someone with regards to a new CB. We definitely need an experienced head alongside Brownlie. Balatoni wouldn't be a bad player to bring in. I get the impression he's had a great season at Ayr and might want something better than us though.

Any news of where Dowie is headed? I can imagine he wont be shy of offers from part-time clubs. Would take him back at Stair Park.

Wouldn't mind Hilson either but would imagine he'll be looking to stay full-time.

Any news of where Dowie is headed? I can imagine he wont be shy of offers from part-time clubs. Would take him back at Stair Park.
Wouldn't mind Hilson either but would imagine he'll be looking to stay full-time.

I reckon Dowie could remain FT if he wanted but a level below. Airdrie could be a decent shout.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I reckon Dowie could remain FT if he wanted but a level below. Airdrie could be a decent shout.

Stays fairly local to Airdrie so would make sense.

Don't know if we could afford the disinfectant to wash him down after pulling on a Queens top anyway.