The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Thats a possibility. The other is that Leighfield will take Atkinsons place on the bench

If that was to be the case it can only be about saving money, Atkinson is a far better keeper than Leighfield but would've been on better money.

There are certain questionable things about this summers comings and goings. Questionable decision 1 is releasing Dowie and Higgins. Not many available better quality centre backs available compared to Higgy. Questionable decision 2 is keeping Tapping but not Hilson. Questionable decision 3 is keeping Ross Fergusson over Aidan Smith who are both 1997 players. I don't know anyone who thinks Fergusson is better than Smith so its a baffling decision. Smith has done very well at Annan of late too. Final questionable decision is keeping Akubuine but releasing Moxon. Moxon has featuring in matchday squads several times yet Akubuine has never. Both are born in 98 and both are centre mids. The thing I can't get my head around is why if Moxon is deemed good enough for the squads he was released first? I felt him and Brotherston both showed promise

Obviously thinks he can get better than Higgins and dowie. Must rate tapping and not Hilson, ditto the rest. He's manager and he'll live with these decisions, I fully expect him to bring in the players necessary, as I'm quite happy with the signings he's brought in bar maybe mercer, who sadly I don't think is good enough but can see his reasons for signing him when he covers both full backs, the rest have done the job for me. Criticism of Rankin is a lot of shite for me, don't think him and Jacobs should play together though, should be one or other beside tapping or another midfielder hopefully Thomson (who's been a great signing along with Thomas).

Genuinely think we'll be fine once Naysmith puts his stamp on things. Certainly Stirling I think will prove to be a excellent start to our recruitment for next season.

I can't get too emotional about Higgins and Dowie leaving.

For me they've both been excellent in their time with us. Higgins was rock solid with us the season we came back up and tbh I was over the moon he chose to stay with us as he was more than capable of staying at that level with another side. I'd like to know the number of MOTM's he got with us as I suspect it's fairly high. And FWIW I thought he should have got it yesterday as well.

Dowie was solid for us for the most part as well and even did an excellent job for us at RB. He got my vote for player of the season the year he won it.

I'm not devastated they are away as I think it's the right decision but I feel a wee bit gutted we didn't know beforehand so we could have given them a better send off. I hope the guys get a good gig at another club.

Questionable decision 2 is keeping Tapping but not Hilson. Questionable decision 3 is keeping Ross Fergusson over Aidan Smith who are both 1997 players. I don't know anyone who thinks Fergusson is better than Smith so its a baffling decision. Smith has done very well at Annan of late too.

For me personally if I had to choose between the two (if you could guarantee their fitness) Tapping would win hands down over Hilson. Is it possible Naysmith was told he could only pick one of the two injury prone players?

I can't say the Smith decision has shocked or disappointed me. I've not seen enough of Fergusson to make my mind up on him but I've seen enough of Smith to think he's not up to this level. He's absolutely rapid but so were Weir and Kean. I've said this before but I spent time watching him specifically for a wee while for the 20's and the first team and his work-rate is extremely poor. I don't want him to run around like a headless chicken but he never dropped for the ball and he never pressed defenders. His finishing wasn't good enough that he could rely solely on that. I hope Annan go up and sign him as well but for me he won't anywhere near this level anytime soon.

Obviously thinks he can get better than Higgins and dowie.

Given he thinks Mercer is a better option at RB than Hamill then I fully expect Murray Henderson and Mark Campbell-esque replacements for Higgy and Dowie.

On 7 May 2017 at 21:31, 19QOS19 said:

Anyway:-

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1494188990.860617.jpg

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1494189006.159726.jpg

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1494189071.413082.jpg

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I would give that man a kidney!

Just out of interest do own goals count as goals scored for league top scorer? (I know nothing to do with this bet)

On 7 May 2017 at 21:25, 19QOS19 said:

For me they've both been excellent in their time with us. Higgins was rock solid with us the season we came back up and tbh I was over the moon he chose to stay with us as he was more than capable of staying at that level with another side. I'd like to know the number of MOTM's he got with us as I suspect it's fairly high. And FWIW I thought he should have got it yesterday as well.

Dowie was solid for us for the most part as well and even did an excellent job for us at RB. He got my vote for player of the season the year he won it.

I'm not devastated they are away as I think it's the right decision but I feel a wee bit gutted we didn't know beforehand so we could have given them a better send off. I hope the guys get a good gig at another club.

For me personally if I had to choose between the two (if you could guarantee their fitness) Tapping would win hands down over Hilson. Is it possible Naysmith was told he could only pick one of the two injury prone players?

I can't say the Smith decision has shocked or disappointed me. I've not seen enough of Fergusson to make my mind up on him but I've seen enough of Smith to think he's not up to this level. He's absolutely rapid but so were Weir and Kean. I've said this before but I spent time watching him specifically for a wee while for the 20's and the first team and his work-rate is extremely poor. I don't want him to run around like a headless chicken but he never dropped for the ball and he never pressed defenders. His finishing wasn't good enough that he could rely solely on that. I hope Annan go up and sign him as well but for me he won't anywhere near this level anytime soon.

Given he thinks Mercer is a better option at RB than Hamill then I fully expect Murray Henderson and Mark Campbell-esque replacements for Higgy and Dowie.

Dont't think you need to see too much of Ferguson to know he's not better than Smith, really don't think he is championship material at the moment. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Generally speaking our defence has been farcical for most of the season but it has been a collective effort with no-one blameless, but equally no-one especially worse than anyone else IMO.  I also strongly feel we would have been tighter at the back with a more reliable goalkeeper.  I could be wrong but I don't recall us being as bad at defending set plays in previous seasons when we had a more commanding goalie such as Zander Clark.

So based on that, although I'm not particularly sad to see Higgins or Dowie leave, I do feel that neither have suddenly become terrible over night.  Higgins in particular should have a good few years left in him.  Dowie on the other hand is 34 now and may well have to drop down a level.

Hilson had another injury hit season.  I'm not sure how many games he played as he is missing from the Player Stats section of our website for some reason.  Hard to gauge from his limited time with us but he strikes me as a player who lacked composure and with a poor footballing brain.  Although there is a chance I am being a bit unfair and using Lyle and Dobbie as comparisons.  He's really strong for a guy of his stature, I always thought he was good at holding the ball up, and he's fairly quick.

He'd make a good signing for someone but obviously his injury record would make him a risk.

Are managers allowed in rules to ask clubs for to have players previous signed on loans for another season.

You'd have to imagine so. I doubt Thomson will be breaking into Celtic's first team next season so to have him for a year long loan would be a cracking bit of business. Though if it meant he was to be deployed at LM I wouldn't bother.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Generally speaking our defence has been farcical for most of the season but it has been a collective effort with no-one blameless, but equally no-one especially worse than anyone else IMO.  I also strongly feel we would have been tighter at the back with a more reliable goalkeeper.  I could be wrong but I don't recall us being as bad at defending set plays in previous seasons when we had a more commanding goalie such as Zander Clark.

So based on that, although I'm not particularly sad to see Higgins or Dowie leave, I do feel that neither have suddenly become terrible over night.  Higgins in particular should have a good few years left in him.  Dowie on the other hand is 34 now and may well have to drop down a level.

Hilson had another injury hit season.  I'm not sure how many games he played as he is missing from the Player Stats section of our website for some reason.  Hard to gauge from his limited time with us but he strikes me as a player who lacked composure and with a poor footballing brain.  Although there is a chance I am being a bit unfair and using Lyle and Dobbie as comparisons.  He's really strong for a guy of his stature, I always thought he was good at holding the ball up, and he's fairly quick.

He'd make a good signing for someone but obviously his injury record would make him a risk.

I felt Dowie was made a bit of a scapegoat for some collective poor defending resulting in him spending the last few games on the bench. A personal choice but I've always preferred Dowie to Higgins but there's not a great deal between them. They've both served the club well but I'm not too surprised they're going. As for Hilson,  I think he played a major part in us leading the table early in the season with his pace and directness. Maybe just coincidence but we started to flounder when he picked up his injury, although some behind-the-scenes events were probably more or a reason for our plummet down the table. He would probably have been a risk to keep but as I would have taken the chance. Tapping has similar injury history but he has been kept on. Maybe the club has taken doctors advice regarding who to keep. 

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:25, 19QOS19 said:

I feel a wee bit gutted we didn't know beforehand so we could have given them a better send off. I hope the guys get a good gig at another club.

Totally agree.

I spoke with the Club on Thursday to see if it would be possible for any prominent releases to be made known before Saturdays game.  For me personally, and probably a lot of other supporters, emotion and sentiment does play a part at times like this and it would have been good to know in advance.  There may have been contractual reasons why this could not have been done of course though the statement on the website appeared pretty quickly.

I don't think it would have affected performance as the players would have known before the game.

I would have gone a step more and made Higgins captain for the day to show him the respect he deserves for leading us so well in the past few years.  Sentiment, though, does not enter into it with most Managers and I am not surprised in the least that Naysmith did not do this.  He undermined and made Higgins a scapegoat almost from day one and certainly from when he stripped him of the Captaincy.

Our loss will certainly be someone else's gain.    Probably Dunfermline, Livingston or Airdrie's.

P.S.  The last time I recall someone being Captain for the day was the great Jimmy Robertson in his last match for us against Alloa.   For anyone that remembers the score that day they may say it's not such a good idea ! 

The rumour I've heard since about January was that Higgins was going part time.. To focus on his work outside football. Dowie wasn't a scapegoat either, I was one of his biggest fans but he's been shit this season and is one of them players that blames everyone around him rather himself. Don't think he was overly great season before either but before that he was immense.